List of Nevada Extinct Counties
Nevada has counties that no longer are in existence. They were created by the state, provincial, or territorial governing administration. Most of these counties were created and disbanded in the 19th century; county borders have changed little since Nineteen hundred in the great number of states. These counties really should be checked out when you are conducting genealogy research. Pay attention where the courthouse records went to if the county was abolished or joined with a different county.
- Bullfrog County was created in 1987 from a part of Nye County; abolished in 1989
- Carson County was created in 1854 by Utah Territory with jurisdiction over an area now in Carson City, Churchill, Douglas, Esmeralda, Humboldt, Lyon, Mineral, Pershing, Storey, and Washoe counties; abolished in 1861
- Humboldt County (old) was created in 1856 by Utah Territory with jurisdiction over an area now in Churchill, Elko, Eureka, Humboldt, Lander, and Pershing counties; abolished in 1861
- Lake County was created in 1861 as an original county; renamed Roop in 1862; annexed in 1883 by Washoe County
- Ormsby County was created in 1861 as an original county; combined with Carson City to form the independent municipality of Carson City in 1969
- Pah-Ute County was created in 1864 by Arizona Territory with jurisdiction over an area now in Clark County; abolished in 1871
- Rio Virgin County was created in 1869 by Utah Territory with jurisdiction over an area now in Clark County; abolished in 1872
- Roop County was Created in 1861 as an original county called Lake; renamed Roop in 1862; annexed in 1883 by Washoe County.
- Saint Mary’s County was created in 1856 by Utah Territory with jurisdiction over an area now in Elko, Eureka, and White Pine counties; abolished in 1861.
List of Nevada Counties with Burned Courthouses
- White Pine County Courthouse – In early 1880’s, the county courthouse in Hamilton was burned down along with much of the business section by an embezzling county treasurer. In 1885, a store owner caused a devastating fire which burned down the Court House which had been moved to the Withington Hotel.. Only a pitiful few records from the Sheriff’s office were salvaged. The town of Hamilton had suffered previous fires before the last which resulted in its faster demise.
List of Nevada Counties
List of Nevada Counties
|County||Date Formed||Parent County||County Seat|
|Carson City||1969||Founded 1858, consolidated with Ormsby County in 1969.||Carson City|
|Churchill||1861||Original County in the Nevada Territory||Fallon|
|Clark||1909||Lincoln County||Las Vegas|
|Douglas||1861||Original County in the Nevada Territory||Minden|
|Esmeralda||1861||Original County in the Nevada Territory||Goldfield|
|Humboldt||1855||Original County in the Nevada Territory||Winnemucca|
|Lander||1862||Original County in the Nevada Territory||Battle Mountain|
|Lincoln||1866||Nye County and territory ceded by Arizona.||Pioche|
|Lyon||1861||Original County in the Nevada Territory||Yerington|
|Storey||1861||Original County in the Nevada Territory||Virginia City|
|Washoe||1861||Original County in the Nevada Territory||Reno|
|White Pine||1869||Lander County||Ely|