Wayne County, Tennessee Records
Wayne County, Tennessee (Map It) was created on November 24, 1817 from Hickman and Humphreys (An earlier, but separate, “Wayne County” is included in today’s Carter County and part of Johnson County. It was established in 1785 under the state of Franklin but was abolished in 1788). This Wayne County was named in honor of American Revolutionary War General "Mad" Anthony Wayne (1745–1796) .Learn More About State of Tennessee History
Wayne County Cities and Towns include Clifton, Collinwood, Waynesboro .
A Map of Wayne County, Tennessee contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Wayne County, Tennessee Courthouse Records
Wayne County, TN Courthouse
The Wayne County Courthouse is located in Waynesboro, Tennessee. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Wayne county or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
There was a fire at the Wayne County courthouse in 1973.
- Wayne County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1857 and Probate Records from 1848.
- Wayne County Register of Deeds has Land & Deed Records from 1821.
- Wayne County Clerk of Circuit Court has Chancery Court Minutes from 1861, Circuit Court Minutes from 1851 and County Court Minutes 1848.
- Wayne County Property Assessor has Tax Records from 1836, 1838, 1873-1900 and are located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Wayne County Health Department issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Wayne County, Tennessee Census Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Wayne County, Tennessee Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1914 to present, also for Nashville since June 1881, for Knoxville since July 1881, and for Chattanooga since January 1882
- Marriage, Divorce and Death Records: from the past 50 years to present.
- Locations: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, Tennessee State Library and Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, 1st Floor, Central Services Building, 421 Fifth Avenue, North, Nashville, TN 37243; PH: 615-741-1763
Wayne County, Tennessee Resources
- State of Tennessee Archives and Societies
- Wayne County Archives, Room 305 Courthouse, Waynesboro , TN 38485; Phone: (931) 722-5016
- Wayne County Historical Society
- Wayne County Public Library, Highway 64 East, PO Box 630, Waynesboro, TN 38485 931-722-5537
- RAOGK Volunteers for Tennessee
- Wayne County, Tennessee Message Boards
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Wayne County
Wayne County, Tennessee External Links
- Tennessee Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from Tennessee (1795 - 1929 )
- Tennessee Newspaper List by County and City
- Wayne County, Tennessee Books - Amazon
- Tennessee Real Estate Assessment Data Property Search
- Wayne County Records on Microfilm - Order County Microfilm Inventories and Reels
- Early Wayne County Records Available on Interlibrary Loan
- Wayne Co., Tennessee - FindaGrave
- Wayne County History and Culture
- Wayne County, Tennessee Links - Cyndi's List
- Wayne Co. TNGenweb
- Wayne County, Tennessee Ancestry Database Collections
- Wayne Co. D.O.T. County Highway Map
- Wayne County, Tennessee Military Records