Carter County, Tennessee Records
Carter County, Tennessee (Map It) was created on April 9, 1796 from Washington County. This Carter County was named in honor of Speaker of the State of Franklin senate Landon Carter (1710–1778) .Learn More About State of Tennessee History
Carter County is bordered by Sullivan County (north), Johnson County (northeast), Avery County, North Carolina (southeast), Mitchell County, North Carolina (south), Unicoi County (southwest) and Washington County (west) .
Carter County Cities and Towns include Elizabethton (county seat), Roan Mountain (south), Johnson City (west), Pine Crest (west), Central, Watauga (northwest), Hunter (northeast) .
A Map of Carter County, Tennessee contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Carter County, Tennessee Courthouse Records
Carter County, TN Courthouse
The Carter County Courthouse is located in Elizabethton, Tennessee. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Carter county or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Carter County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1790 and Probate Records from 1794.
- Carter County Register of Deeds has Land & Deed Records from 1796.
- Carter County Clerk of Circuit Court has Chancery Court Minutes from 1854, Circuit Court Minutes from 1848 and County Court Minutes 1804.
- Carter County Property Assessor has Tax Records from 1796-1800, 1860-1872, 1875-1886 and are located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Carter County Health Department issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Carter County, Tennessee Census Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1800 (part), 1810 (part), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Territory Census: 1770-1790 Census of the Cumberland Settlements
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Carter County, Tennessee Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1914 to present, also for Nashville since June 1881, for Knoxville since July 1881, and for Chattanooga since January 1882
- Marriage, Divorce and Death Records: from the past 50 years to present.
- Locations: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, Tennessee State Library and Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, 1st Floor, Central Services Building, 421 Fifth Avenue, North, Nashville, TN 37243; PH: 615-741-1763
Carter County, Tennessee Resources
- State of Tennessee Archives and Societies
- East Tennessee Historical Society
- Carter County & It's People 1796-1993, P.O. Box 176, Elizabethton 37643
- Elizabethton/Carter County Public Library
- Milligan College, Welshimer Memorial Library
- RAOGK Volunteers for Tennessee
- Carter County, Tennessee Message Boards
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Carter County
Carter County, Tennessee External Links
- Tennessee Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from Tennessee (1795 - 1929 )
- Tennessee Newspaper List by County and City
- Carter County, Tennessee Books - Amazon
- Tennessee Real Estate Assessment Data Property Search
- Carter County Records on Microfilm - Order County Microfilm Inventories and Reels
- Early Carter County Records Available on Interlibrary Loan
- Carter Co., Tennessee - FindaGrave
- Carter County History and Culture
- Carter County, Tennessee Links - Cyndi's List
- Carter Co. TNGenweb
- Carter County, Tennessee Ancestry Database Collections
- Carter Co. D.O.T. County Highway Map
- Carter County, Tennessee Military Records