Mitchell County, North Carolina Records
Mitchell County, North Carolina (Map It) was created on February 16, 1861 from Yancey County, Watauga County, Caldwell County, Burke County and McDowell County. This county was named for Elisha Mitchell (1793–1857), a professor at the University of North Carolina who measured the height of Mount Mitchell.
Mitchell County Cities and Towns include Bakersville, SprucePine. A Map of Mitchell County, North Carolina contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries. There is a collection of old Ohio maps at MapGeeks.org.
Mitchell County Townships include Bakersville, Bradshaw, Cane Creek, Fork Mountain-Little Rock Creek (previously two separate townships), Grassy Creek, Harrell, Poplar, Red Hill, and Snow Creek. View a Map of Mitchell County Townships.
Mitchell County, North Carolina Courthouse Records
Mitchell County, NC Courthouse
Old Mitchell County Courthouse
The Mitchell County Courthouse is located in Bakersville, North Carolina. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Mitchell county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk. Also see the Mitchell County Records in the North Carolina State Archives. Some County Courthouse records destroyed in move to new courthouse in 1907, some early recordsd were destroyed.
- Mitchell County Register of Deeds has Birth Records from 1913, Marriage Records from 1861, Death Records from 1913 and Land Records from 1789.
- Mitchell County Clerk of Court has Probate Records from 1823, Court Records from 1861 and Divorce Records from call court clerk for details. Probate records include not only wills, but also loose estates records.
- Mitchell County Tax Assessor / Collector
- Mitchell Co. North Carolina County Health Department
Mitchell County, North Carolina Census Records
- Learn More: State of North Carolina Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Census Substitutes Index, 1790-1890
- State Population Schedules: None
- Native American Population Schedules: 1894-1913
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Mitchell County, North Carolina Vital Records
- Learn More: State of North Carolina Vital Records
- Birth Records: from October 1913 to present
- Marriage Records: from January 1962 to present
- Death Records: from January 1, 1930 to present
- Divorce Records: from January 1958 to present
- Locations: North Carolina Vital Records
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death, Divorce and Marriage Certificate Applications.
- In Person: North Carolina Vital Records (Cooper Memorial Health Building), 225 N. McDowell St., Raleigh, NC 27603-1382; 919-733-3000
Mitchell County, North Carolina Resources
Mitchell County, North Carolina External Links
- Maine Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from North Carolina (1719 - 1977)
- Mitchell County, North Carolina Books - Amazon
- Mitchell Co., North Carolina - FindaGrave
- A History of Mitchell County, North Carolina
- North Carolina Digital Collections
- Mitchell County, North Carolina Links - Cyndi's List
- Mitchell Co. NCGenweb
- Mitchell County, North Carolina Ancestry Database Collections
- Mitchell County, North Carolina Military Records
- North Carolina City Directories