McDowell County, North Carolina Records
McDowell County, North Carolina (Map It) was created on December 19, 1842 from Rutherford County and Burke County. This county was named for Joseph McDowell (1756–1801), a soldier in the American Revolutionary War who took part in the Battle of Kings Mountain.
McDowell County Cities and Towns include Marion, OldFort, WestMarion, LittleSwitzerland, Nebo, Glenwood, Pleasant Gardens. A Map of McDowell County, North Carolina contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries. There is a collection of old Ohio maps at MapGeeks.org.
McDowell County Townships include Crooked Creek, Dysartsville, Glenwood, Higgins, Marion, Montford Cove, Nebo, North Cove, and Old Fort. View a Map of McDowell County Townships.
McDowell County, North Carolina Courthouse Records
McDowell County, NC Courthouse
The McDowell County Courthouse is located in Williamston, North Carolina. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in McDowell county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk. Also see the McDowell County Records in the North Carolina State Archives.
- McDowell County Register of Deeds has Birth Records from 1914, Marriage Records from 1842, Death Records from 1914 and Land Records from 1813.
- McDowell County Clerk of Court has Probate Records from 1841, Court Records from 1822 and Divorce Records from call court clerk for details. Probate records include not only wills, but also loose estates records.
- McDowell County Tax Assessor / Collector
- McDowell Co. North Carolina County Health Department
McDowell County, North Carolina Census Records
- Learn More: State of North Carolina Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Census Substitutes Index, 1790-1890
- State Population Schedules: None
- Native American Population Schedules: 1894-1913
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
McDowell County, North Carolina Vital Records
- Learn More: State of North Carolina Vital Records
- Birth Records: from October 1913 to present
- Marriage Records: from January 1962 to present
- Death Records: from January 1, 1930 to present
- Divorce Records: from January 1958 to present
- Locations: North Carolina Vital Records
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death, Divorce and Marriage Certificate Applications.
- In Person: North Carolina Vital Records (Cooper Memorial Health Building), 225 N. McDowell St., Raleigh, NC 27603-1382; 919-733-3000
McDowell County, North Carolina Resources
- Old Buncombe County Genealogical Society
- McDowell County Public Library
- McDowell County, North Carolina Message Boards
McDowell County, North Carolina External Links
- Historical Newspapers from North Carolina (1719 - 1977)
- McDowell County, North Carolina Books - Amazon
- McDowell Co., North Carolina - FindaGrave
- A History of McDowell County, North Carolina
- North Carolina Digital Collections
- McDowell County, North Carolina Links - Cyndi's List
- McDowell Co. NCGenweb
- McDowell County, North Carolina Ancestry Database Collections
- McDowell County, North Carolina Military Records
- North Carolina City Directories