Sullivan County, Tennessee Records
Sullivan County, Tennessee (Map It) was created on October 18, 1779 from Washington County, North Carolina. This Sullivan County was named in honor of Governor of New Hampshire John Sullivan (1740–1795).
Sullivan County is bordered by Washington County, Virginia (northeast), Bristol County, Virginia (northeast), Johnson County (east), Carter County (southeast), Washington County (southwest), Hawkins County (west) and Scott County, Virginia (northwest) .
Sullivan County Cities and Towns include Bloomingdale, Blountville, Bluff City, Bristol, Colonial Heights, Kingsport, Spurgeon, Sullivan Gardens, Walnut Hill .
A Map of Sullivan County, Tennessee contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Sullivan County, Tennessee Courthouse Records
Sullivan County, TN Courthouse
The Sullivan County Courthouse is located in Blountville, Tennessee. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Sullivan county or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
There was a fire at the Sullivan County courthouse in 1863, County Clerks records were destroyed.
- Sullivan County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1863 and Probate Records from 1838.
- Sullivan County Register of Deeds has Land & Deed Records from 1775.
- Sullivan County Clerk of Circuit Court has Chancery Court Minutes from 1852, Circuit Court Minutes from 1879 and County Court Minutes 1861.
- Sullivan County Property Assessor has Tax Records from 1796, 1797, 1812, 1837, 1877-1900 and are located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Sullivan County Health Department issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Sullivan County, Tennessee Census Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1800 (part), 1810 (part), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Territory Census: 1770-1790 Census of the Cumberland Settlements
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Sullivan County, Tennessee Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1914 to present, also for Nashville since June 1881, for Knoxville since July 1881, and for Chattanooga since January 1882
- Marriage, Divorce and Death Records: from the past 50 years to present.
- Locations: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, Tennessee State Library and Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, 1st Floor, Central Services Building, 421 Fifth Avenue, North, Nashville, TN 37243; PH: 615-741-1763
Sullivan County, Tennessee Resources
- State of Tennessee Archives and Societies
- Sullivan County Archives
- Sullivan County Genealogical Society
- King College, E. W. King Memorial Library, 1350 King College Road, Bristol, TN 37620 423-652-4716
- Rocky Mount Historical Association, Rocky Mount Museum, 200 Hyder Hill Road, PO Box 160, Piney Flats, TN 37686 423-538-7396
- Sullivan County Public Library
- RAOGK Volunteers for Tennessee
- Sullivan County, Tennessee Message Boards
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Sullivan County
Sullivan County, Tennessee External Links
- Tennessee Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from Tennessee (1795 - 1929 )
- Tennessee Newspaper List by County and City
- Sullivan County, Tennessee Books - Amazon
- Tennessee Real Estate Assessment Data Property Search
- Sullivan County Records on Microfilm - Order County Microfilm Inventories and Reels
- Early Sullivan County Records Available on Interlibrary Loan
- Sullivan Co., Tennessee - FindaGrave
- Sullivan County History and Culture
- Sullivan County, Tennessee Links - Cyndi's List
- Sullivan Co. TNGenweb
- Sullivan County, Tennessee Ancestry Database Collections
- Sullivan Co. D.O.T. County Highway Map
- Sullivan County, Tennessee Military Records