Lauderdale County, Alabama Records
Lauderdale County, Alabama (Map It) was created on February 6, 1818 from the Cherokee and Chickasaw Cession of 1816. Lauderdale county was named in honor of James Lauderdale (1780–1814), Colonel in War of 1812. In the early 1800's, Lauderdale, who moved to West Tennessee, became a major in General John Coffee's cavalry of volunteers. Later promoted to Lieutenant Colonel, he commanded a brigade of mounted riflemen, serving under Andrew Jackson in many battles against the Indians. According to reliable historians, Col. Lauderdale did not die in the Battle of New Orleans, but was wounded in the Battle of Talladega and dies on December 23, 1814, seventeen days before Jackson's crushing defeat of the British at New Orleans. Several towns and counties in the southern states were named in his honor, though it is said that he never set foot in Lauderdale County.
Lauderdale County is bordered by Lawrence County, Tennessee (north), Wayne County, Tennessee (north), Giles County, Tennessee (northeast), Limestone County (east), Lawrence County (southeast), Colbert County (south), Tishomingo County, Mississippi (west), Hardin County, Tennessee (northwest).
Lauderdale County Cities and Towns include Anderson, Florence, Killen, Lexington, Rogersville, St. Florian, Underwood-Petersville, Waterloo, Zip City.
A Map of Lauderdale County, Alabama contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries. There is a collection of old Alabama maps at MapGeeks.org
Lauderdale County, Alabama Courthouse Records
Lauderdale County, AL Courthouse
Please contact the each clerk's department to confirm mailing address, hours, fees and other information before visiting or requesting information because contact information sometimes changes. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. The documents are available to interested parties, barring confidential issues. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Lauderdale county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Lauderdale County Clerk of Circuit Court has Court Records from 1821 and has Divorce Records prior to 1950.
- Lauderdale County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1818, Probate Records from 1818 and Land Records from 1818.
- Lauderdale Revenue Commissioner's Office maintains County tax records. These records are usually arranged by legal description and are not indexed.
- Lauderdale County Health Department has Birth Records from N/A, Death records from N/A.
Lauderdale County, Alabama Census Records
- Learn More: State of Alabama Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: 1820-1866, 1867
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Lauderdale County, Alabama Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Alabama Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1908 to present.
- Marriage Records: from August 1936 to present.
- Divorce Records: from January 1950 to present.
- Locations: Alabama Office of Vital Statistics, The RSA Tower, 201 Monroe Street, Montgomery, Alabama 36104.
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth, Marriage, Divorce or Death Certificate Applications.
Lauderdale County, Alabama Resources
- State of Alabama Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Alabama
- Lauderdale County, Alabama Message Boards
Lauderdale County, Alabama External Links
- Alabama Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Lauderdale County, Alabama Books - Amazon
- Lauderdale Co., Alabama - FindaGrave
- Alabama Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- The History of Lauderdale County
- Lauderdale Co. ALGenweb
- Alabama Newspaper Archives (1813 - 2003)
- Lauderdale County, Alabama Links - Cyndi's List
- Lauderdale County, Alabama Ancestry Database Collections
- Lauderdale County, Alabama Military Records