Hardin County, Tennessee Records
Hardin County, Tennessee (Map It) was created on November 1819 from the Jackson Purchase. This Hardin County was named in honor of Joseph Hardin, legislator of the Southwest Territory and State of Franklin.
Hardin County is bordered by Decatur County (north), Wayne County (east), Lauderdale County, Alabama (southeast), Tishomingo County, Mississippi (south), McNairy County (west), Chester County (northwest) and Henderson County (north-northwest) .
Hardin County Cities and Towns include Crump, Saltillo. Savannah .
A Map of Hardin County, Tennessee contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Hardin County, Tennessee Courthouse Records
Hardin County, TN Courthouse
The Hardin County Courthouse is located in Savannah, Tennessee. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Hardin county or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
There were fires at the Hardin County courthouse in 1859, 1864 and 1949, most early records were destroyed.
- Hardin County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1863 and Probate Records from 1836.
- Hardin County Register of Deeds has Land & Deed Records from 1835.
- Hardin County Clerk of Circuit Court has Chancery Court Minutes from 1836, Circuit Court Minutes from 1840 and County Court Minutes 1820.
- Hardin County Property Assessor has Tax Records from 1833, 1836, 1837 and are located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Hardin County Health Department issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Hardin County, Tennessee Census Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1800 (part), 1810 (part), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Territory Census: 1770-1790 Census of the Cumberland Settlements
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Hardin County, Tennessee Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1914 to present, also for Nashville since June 1881, for Knoxville since July 1881, and for Chattanooga since January 1882
- Marriage, Divorce and Death Records: from the past 50 years to present.
- Locations: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, Tennessee State Library and Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, 1st Floor, Central Services Building, 421 Fifth Avenue, North, Nashville, TN 37243; PH: 615-741-1763
Hardin County, Tennessee Resources
- State of Tennessee Archives and Societies
- Hardin County Archives, 1365 Pickwick Street, Savannah , TN 38372; Phone: (731) 925-4936
- Hardin County Historical Society
- Hardin County Library, 1365 Pickwick Street, Savannah, TN 38372 731-925-4314
- Shiloh National Military Park, National Park Service, 1055 Pittsburg Landing Road, PO Box 67, Shiloh, TN 38376 731-689-5275
- RAOGK Volunteers for Tennessee
- Hardin County, Tennessee Message Boards
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Hardin County
Hardin County, Tennessee External Links
- Tennessee Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from Tennessee (1795 - 1929 )
- Tennessee Newspaper List by County and City
- Hardin County, Tennessee Books - Amazon
- Tennessee Real Estate Assessment Data Property Search
- Hardin County Records on Microfilm - Order County Microfilm Inventories and Reels
- Early Hardin County Records Available on Interlibrary Loan
- Hardin Co., Tennessee - FindaGrave
- Hardin County History and Culture
- Hardin County, Tennessee Links - Cyndi's List
- Hardin Co. TNGenweb
- Hardin County, Tennessee Ancestry Database Collections
- Hardin Co. D.O.T. County Highway Map
- Hardin County, Tennessee Military Records