Knox County, Tennessee Records
Knox County is bordered by Union County (north), Grainger County (northeast), Jefferson County (east), Sevier County (southeast), Blount County (south), Loudon County (southwest), Roane County (west) and Anderson County (northwest) .
Knox County Cities and Towns include Farragut, Knoxville .
A Map of Knox County, Tennessee contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Knox County, Tennessee Courthouse Records
Knox County, TN Courthouse
The Knox County Courthouse is located in Knoxville, Tennessee. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Knox county or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Knox County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1792 and Probate Records from 1792.
- Knox County Register of Deeds has Land & Deed Records from 1792.
- Knox County Clerk of Circuit Court has Chancery Court Minutes from 1832, Circuit Court Minutes from 1844 and County Court Minutes 1792.
- Knox County Property Assessor has Tax Records from 1796, 1803, 1804, 1805-1812, 1826-1831, 1836, 1841-1850, 1852, 1853-1857, 1860-1870, 1873, 1874, 1876 and are located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Knox County Health Department issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Knox County, Tennessee Census Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1800 (part), 1810 (part), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Territory Census: 1770-1790 Census of the Cumberland Settlements
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Knox County, Tennessee Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1914 to present, also for Nashville since June 1881, for Knoxville since July 1881, and for Chattanooga since January 1882
- Marriage, Divorce and Death Records: from the past 50 years to present.
- Locations: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, Tennessee State Library and Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, 1st Floor, Central Services Building, 421 Fifth Avenue, North, Nashville, TN 37243; PH: 615-741-1763
Knox County, Tennessee Resources
- State of Tennessee Archives and Societies
- East Tennessee Historical Society
- Knox County Archives
- University of Tennessee at Knoxville, Frank H. McClung Museum, 1327 Circle Park Dr., Knoxville, TN 37996 865-974-2144
- Johnson Bible College, Glass Memorial Library, 7900 Johnson Drive, Knoxville, TN 37998 865-251-2277
- RAOGK Volunteers for Tennessee
- Knox County, Tennessee Message Boards
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Knox County
Knox County, Tennessee External Links
- Tennessee Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from Tennessee (1795 - 1929 )
- Tennessee Newspaper List by County and City
- Knox County, Tennessee Books - Amazon
- Tennessee Real Estate Assessment Data Property Search
- Knox County Records on Microfilm - Order County Microfilm Inventories and Reels
- Early Knox County Records Available on Interlibrary Loan
- Knox Co., Tennessee - FindaGrave
- Knox County History and Culture
- Knox County, Tennessee Links - Cyndi's List
- Knox Co. TNGenweb
- Knox County, Tennessee Ancestry Database Collections
- Knox Co. D.O.T. County Highway Map
- Knox County, Tennessee Military Records