Grainger County, Tennessee Records
Grainger County, Tennessee (Map It) was created on April 22, 1796 from Hawkins County and Knox County. This Grainger County was named in honor of Mary Grainger Blount, wife of William Blount and "first lady" of the Southwest Territory, which later became Tennessee.
Grainger County is bordered by Hancock County (northeast), Hawkins County (northeast), Hamblen County (east), Jefferson County (south), Knox County (southwest), Union County (west) and Claiborne County (northwest) .
Grainger County Cities and Towns include Bean Station, Blaine, Rutledge, Washburn .
A Map of Grainger County, Tennessee contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Grainger County, Tennessee Courthouse Records
Grainger County, TN Courthouse
The Grainger County Courthouse is located in Rutledge, Tennessee. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Grainger county or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
There was a fire at the Grainger County courthouse in 1946.
- Grainger County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1796 and Probate Records from 1833.
- Grainger County Register of Deeds has Land & Deed Records from 1796 .
- Grainger County Clerk of Circuit Court has Chancery Court Minutes from 1848, Circuit Court Minutes from 1810 and County Court Minutes 1796.
- Grainger County Property Assessor has Tax Records from 1797, 1799, 1805, 1810, 1826, 1836, 1851-1877, 1879-1882, 1885-1892, 1893-1900 and are located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Grainger County Health Department issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Grainger County, Tennessee Census Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1800 (part), 1810 (part), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Territory Census: 1770-1790 Census of the Cumberland Settlements
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Grainger County, Tennessee Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1914 to present, also for Nashville since June 1881, for Knoxville since July 1881, and for Chattanooga since January 1882
- Marriage, Divorce and Death Records: from the past 50 years to present.
- Locations: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, Tennessee State Library and Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, 1st Floor, Central Services Building, 421 Fifth Avenue, North, Nashville, TN 37243; PH: 615-741-1763
Grainger County, Tennessee Resources
- State of Tennessee Archives and Societies
- Grainger County Archives, P.O. Box 408, Rutledge , TN 37861; Phone: (865) 850-8549
- RAOGK Volunteers for Tennessee
- Grainger County, Tennessee Message Boards
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Grainger County
Grainger County, Tennessee External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Tennessee (1795 - 1929 )
- Tennessee Newspaper List by County and City
- Grainger County, Tennessee Books - Amazon
- Tennessee Real Estate Assessment Data Property Search
- Grainger County Records on Microfilm - Order County Microfilm Inventories and Reels
- Early Grainger County Records Available on Interlibrary Loan
- Grainger Co., Tennessee - FindaGrave
- Grainger County History and Culture
- Grainger County, Tennessee Links - Cyndi's List
- Grainger Co. TNGenweb
- Grainger County, Tennessee Ancestry Database Collections
- Grainger Co. D.O.T. County Highway Map
- Grainger County, Tennessee Military Records