Pennsylvania Archives, Societies & Publications
It is a good idea to familiarize personally with just about any repository in Pennsylvania that you simply might travel to by communicating with to the best suited archive or library in advance.
Most, if not all, Pennsylvania repositories have written and published content that present its collections as well as research policy.
Pennsylvania archives and historical organizations usually have On-line sites that provide equivalent details. Several also contain down loadable data for some or parts of their collections.
List of Pennsylvania Archives
In 1952 an archives was started in Philadelphia, the oldest city archives in the country. John Daly compiled a Descriptive Inventory to its holdings in 1970. The first county archives was established in Chester County in 1982 and is considered the model for the Commonwealth
- The Pennsylvania Archives Online – As one of the original 13 colonies, Pennsylvania played an important part in our nation’s early history. Many significant records were created and kept by Pennsylvania, as Philadelphia was both the site of the Continental Congress and the largest port of the time. Many of those early documents, and others through the 1800s, were transcribed into the published Pennsylvania Archives. These volumes should not be confused with the repository in Harrisburg where official colonial and state records are kept. The images here are pages from the 138-volume, 10-series set of the well-known collection of early government records transcribed and printed by the Commonwealth. The Pennsylvania Archives has been relied upon by scholars, genealogists, and historians for valuable historical information for over a century. The only online availability of virtually all of the Pennsylvania Archives is here, with free access, on Footnote.com.
- Pennsylvania State Archives, 350 North Street, Harrisburg, PA 17120; Phone:(717) 783-3281
- Pennsylvania, Published Archives Series, 1664–1902 (search.ancestry.com)
- Pennsylvania archives, eighth series, index of Votes of Pennsylvania Assembly
- Chester Co Archives and Records Service, 117 West Gray Str., West Chester, PA 19380
- Delaware County Archives, 201 West Front Street, Media, PA 19063
- Franklin County Archives, 717.709.7218
- Lancaster Co. Office of Records and Archives Services, 50 N. Duke St, P.O. Box 83480; Lancaster, Pa. 17608-3480; (717)299-8319
- Lutheran Archives Center at Philadelphia, 7301 Germantown Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19119
- Montgomery County Archives, 2000 Old Arch Road, Norristown, PA 19401; 610-278-3441
- Northampton County Archives, 684 Washington Street, 1st floor, Easton, PA 18042; (610) 559-2687
- The Philadelphia City Archives , 3101 Market Street 1st. Floor, Philadelphia, PA 19104; (215) 686-1581 prior to 1915, (215) 560-3054 after 1915
- Schuylkill County Archives, 401 N. 2nd St., Pottsville, PA 17901-2528; (570) 628-1145
- York County Archives, 150 Pleasant Acres Road, York, PA 17402; 717-840-7222
List of Pennsylvania Libraries & Museums
- State Library of Pennsylvania, Commonwealth Avenue and Walnut Street, P.O. Box 1601, Harrisburg, PA 17105-1601; Genealogies, local histories, maps, censuses, newspapers, periodicals, and city directories are at the state library.
- Lutherans Abdel Ross Wentz Library Gettysburg, PA 17325
- Bureau of Archives and History, Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission– William Penn Memorial Museum and Archives Building, 3rd Avenue and Forster Street, P.O. Box 1026, Harrisburg, PA 17108-1026. Referred to as the Pennsylvania State Archives, the bureau holds various source materials, including vital records, censuses, maps, and tax lists
- American Swedish Historical Museum, 1900 Pattison Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19145
- National Canal Museum, 30 Centre Square, Easton, PA 18042
- Penns Valley Area Historical Museum, 2244 West Aaron Square, Aaronsburg, PA 16820; (814) 349-4811
List of Pennsylvania Historical & Genealogical Societies
For almost every state there is a state genealogical society, a state genealogical council, or both.
In addition to their own work, Pennsylvania groups many times help coordinate the efforts of local societies throughout the Pennsylvania.
Their unique publications, newsletters and quarterlies, supplement those created through the area societies.
It is mandated that each county support a historical society.
Regional and State Societies
- Descendants of Signers of the Declaration of Independence, 1300 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107
- Genealogical Research Society Of Northeast Pennsylvania, 1100 Main Street, Peckville, PA 18452; Phone: (570) 383-7661
- Genealogical Society Of Pennsylvania, 2207 Chestnut Street Philadelphia, PA 19103; (215) 545-0391
- Genealogical Society Of Pennsylvania, 215 S. Broad St., 7th Floor, Philadelphia, PA 19107-5325; Phone: (215) 545-0391, Fax: (215) 545-0936. Beginning in 1895 the society produced Publications of the Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania, renamed Pennsylvania Genealogical Magazine in 1948. The society charges a research fee for mail inquiries.
- Historical Society Of Pennsylvania. 1300 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107; Phone: 215-732-6200, Fax: 215-732-2680.Founded in 1824, the historical society has published the Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography since 1877
- Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania, 1212 Smallman Street | Pittsburgh, PA 15222; PH: 412-454-6000
- National Historical Society, 6405 Flank Dr., Harrisburg, PA 17112-2750; 717-657-9555; Publishes”American History Illustrated”
- South Central Pennsylvania Genealogical Society, Address: PO Box 1824, York, PA 17405, Phone: 717-843-6169. This society has distinguished itself through the publication of many source records, including Bible records, tax lists, private vital records, cemetery inscriptions, and naturalizations.
- Western Pennsylvania Genealogical Society, 4400 Forbes Avenue Pittsburgh, PA 15213; (412) 687-6811; Covering the western half of the commonwealth, the historical society has published The Western Pennsylvania Historical Magazine (now Pittsburgh History) since 1918, with cumulative indexes for volumes 1-43 and 44-53. The genealogical society, which has no formal office or library, publishes Western Pennsylvania Genealogical Society Quarterly
- Southeast Pennsylvania Genealogical Society,
- Northeast Pennsylvania Genealogical Society, 689 Main Road, Hanover Township, PA 18706
County, Township and City Societies
- Adams County Historical Society, Box 4325, 111 Seminary Ridge Gettysburg, PA 17325; (717) 334-4723
- Allegheny Foothills Historical Society, 445 Center-New Texas Road, Plum, PA 15239; 412-832-0685
- Allegheny-Kiski Valley Historical Society, 224 East 7th Avenue Tarentum, PA 15084; (724) 224-7666
- Allegheny Regional Family Historical Society, P. O. Box 1804, Elkins, WV 26241
- Alburtis-lockridge Historical Society, 407 Franklin Street, Alburtis, PA 18011; 610-966-3534
- Armstrong County Historical Society & Museum , 300 N. McKean St., PO Box 735, Kittanning, PA 16201-1345; 724-548-5707
- Ashland Area Historic Preservation Society, 318 Center Street Ashland, PA 17921; (570) 875-4360
- Beaver County Genealogy and History Center, 250 East End Avenue, Beaver, PA 15009, 724-775-1775
- Beaver County Historical Research & Landmarks, 1235 3rd Avenue, Freedom, PA 15042; 724-775-1848
- Berks County Historical Society, 940 Centre Avenue, Reading 19601; 610 375-4375
- Berks County Genealogical Society, 201 Washington Street, Reading, PA 19601; (610) 921-4970
- Bedford County Historical Society & Pioneer Library, 6441 Lincoln Highway, Bedford, PA 15522; (814) 623-2011
- Blair County Historical Society, 3419 Oak Lane Altoona, PA 16602; (814) 942-3916
- Blair Co Genealogical Society, Inc., 431 Scotch Valley Rd, Hollidaysburg, PA 16648; (814) 696-3492
- Bradford County Historical Society, 109 Pine Street, Towanda, PA 18848; (570) 265-2240
- Bradford Landmark Society, 45 East Corydon Street Bradford, PA 16701; (814) 362-3906
- Bristol Cultural & Historical Foundation, 321 Cedar Street, Bristol, PA 19007; (215) 781-9895
- Brownsville Historical Society, 136 Front Street, Brownsville, PA 15417; (724) 785-6882
- Bucks County Historical Society, 84 South Pine Street Doylestown, PA 18901; (215) 345-0210
- Bucks County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 826, Washington Crossing, PA 18977
- Butler County Historical Society, 123 West Diamond Street Butler, PA 16001, (724) 283-8116
- Butler County Genealogical Society, P O Box 662 – Butler, PA 16002
- Capital Area Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 4502, Harrisburg, PA 17111-0502; 717-545-2622
- Cambria County Historical Society, 615 North Center Street P.O. Box 278, Ebensburg, PA 15931; 814-472-6674
- Cameron County Historical Society, PO Box 433, Emporium, PA 15834; (814) 486-6355
- Camp Curtin Historical Society, PO Box 5601, 2221 North Sixth Street, Harrisburg, PA 17110
- Centre County Historical Society, 1001 East College Avenue, State College, PA 16801; (814) 234-4779
- Centre County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1135, State College 16804-1135
- Chadds Ford Historical Society, P.O. Box 27, 1736 Creek Road, Chadds Ford, PA 19317; (610) 388-7376
- Chester County Historical Society, 225 North High Street, West Chester, PA 19380; (610) 692-4800
- Chestnut Hill Historical Society, 8708 Germantown Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19118; (215) 247-0417
- Clarion County Historical Society, 17 S. Fifth Avenue, Clarion, PA 16214-1501
- Clearfield County Historical Society and Museum , 104 East Pine Street, Clearfield, PA 16830-2517; (814) 765-6125
- Clinton County Historical Society, 362 East Water St., Lock Haven, PA 17745; (717) 748-7254
- Clinton County Genealogical Society, Box 393, 362 East Water Street, Lock Haven, PA 17745; (570) 748-7254
- Columbia County Historical and Genealogical Society, 225 Market Street, P.O. Box 360, Bloomsburg, PA 17815-0360; (570)784-1600
- Cornerstone Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 547, 144 East Greene Street, Waynesburg, PA 15370; (724) 627-5653
- Conestoga Area Historical Society, PO Box 232, Conestoga, PA 17516; 717-872-1699
- Corry Area Historical Society, 945 Mead Avenue, Corry, PA 16407; (814) 664-4749
- Crawford County Historical Society, 411 Chestnut Street, Meadville, PA 16335; (814) 724-6080
- Cumberland County Historical Society, 21 N. Pitt St., Carlisle, PA 17013-1945; (717) 249-7610
- Historical Society of Dauphin County , 219 South Front Street, Harrisburg, PA 17104, (717) 233-3462
- Delaware County Historical Society, 408 Ave. of the States, Chester, PA 19013; (610) 359-0826
- Derry Area Historical Society, P.O. Box 64, 357 Pittsburgh Street, Derry, PA 15627; (724) 694-8808
- Elk County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 142, Johnsonburg, PA 15845
- Elk County Historical Society, 109 Center Street Ridgway, PA 15853; (814) 776-1032
- Erie County Historical Society, 417 State Street, Erie, PA 16501; (814) 454-6890
- Erie Society for Genealogical Research, P. O. Box 1403, Erie, PA 16512-1403
- Emmaus Historical Society, 563 Chestnut Street Emmaus, PA 18049; (610) 966-6591
- Enchanted Mountains Genealogical Society
- Fayette County Genealogical Society, 24 Jefferson St., Uniontown, PA 15401-3699
- Fayette County Historical Society, 7083 National Pike, Smock, PA 15480; (724) 439-4422
- Forest County Historical Society, 206 Elm Street, Tionesta, PA 16353; (814) 755-4422
- Franklin County Historical Society – Kittochtinny, 175 East King Street, Chambersburg, Pennsylvania 17201; (717)264-1667
- Fulton County Historical Society, PO Box 115, McConnellsburg, PA 17233; (717) 485-3172
- Germantown Historical Society, 5501 Germantown Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19144; (215) 844-0514
- Greater Hazleton Historical Society, 55 North Wyoming Street, Hazleton, PA.; 1 (570) 455-8576
- Greene County Historical Society and Museum, P.O. Box 127, Waynesburg, PA 15370; (724) 627-3204
- Hermitage Historical Society, 5465 East State Street, Hermitage, Pennsylvania 16148; 724-346-0419
- Hershey Derry Township Historical Society, 40 Northeast Drive Hershey, PA 17033; (717) 520-0748
- Blairsville Area Historical Society, 116 East Campbell Street, Blairsville, PA 15717; 724-459-0580
- Historic Catasauqua Preservation Association, 8 Race Street, Catasauqua, PA 18032
- Historic Harrisburg Association, P.O. Box 1843, 1230 North 3rd Street, Harrisburg, PA 17105-1843; Phone: (717) 233-4646
- Homestead & Mifflin Township Historical Society, 3000 Lebanon Church Rd., Ste 202, West Mifflin, PA 15122; phone: 412-600-0229; The Homestead and Mifflin Township Historical Society documents and preserves the historical artifacts and sites of the original Mifflin Township. Along with monthly meetings, the society sponsors many special events throughout the year
- Horsham Preservation And Historical Association, Penrose Strawbridge House, 900 Governor Road, Horsham, PA 19044; (215) 343-0659
- Huntingdon County Historical Society, 100 4th St., Huntingdon, PA 16652-1418; (814) 643-5449
- Historical & Genealogical Society of Indiana County, 200 S. Sixth Street, Indiana, Pennsylvania 15701; 724-463-9600
- Jefferson County Historical Society, 172-176 Main St., Brookville, PA 15825; (814) 849-0077
- Johnstown Area Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 5048, Johnstown 15904-5048
- Juniata County Historical Society, 498 ste B Jefferson Street, Miffintown, PA 17059; (717) 436-5152
- Lackawanna Historical Society, 232 Monroe Ave., Scranton, PA 18510; (717) 344-3841
- Lancaster Mennonite Historical Society, 2215 Millstream Rd, Lancaster, PA 17602-1499; Phone:(717) 393-9745. has a handout entitled Genealogical Resources at the Lancaster Mennonite Historical Society. A research fee is charged for mail inquiries. The society also publishes a quarterly, Pennsylvania Mennonite Heritage.
- Lancaster County Historical Society, 230 N. President Ave., Lancaster, PA 17603; Phone: (717) 392-4633
- Lawrence County Historical Society, P.O. Box 1745, 408 North Jefferson Street, New Castle, PA 16101; (724) 658-4022
- Lebanon County Historical Society, 924 Cumberland Street, Lebanon, PA 17042; (717) 272-1473
- Legion Ville Historical Society, P. O. Box 21601, Rd 4, 10 Pine Court, Sewickley 15143; 412-266-1795
- Lehigh County Historical Society, P.O. Box 1548, 432 West Walnut Street, Allentown, PA 18102; (610) 435-1074
- Lenni Lenape Historical Society, 2825 Fish Hatchery Road, Allentown, PA 18103; (610) 797-2121
- Levittown Historical Society, P.O. Box 1641, 7200 New Falls Rd., Levittown, PA 19058-1641
- Lower Macungie Township Historical Society, PO Box 3722,
- Lower Makefield Historical Society, P.O. Box 228, Yardley, PA 19067
- Lower Paxton Historical Society, 429 Prince Street, Harrisburg, PA 17109
- Luzerne County Historical Society, 49 South Franklin Street, Wilkes-Barre, PA 18701; (570) 823-6244
- Lycoming County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 3625, Williamsport, PA 17701-3625
- Lycoming County Historical Society, 858 W. Fourth Street, Williamsport, PA 17701
- Lynn-heidelberg Township Historical Society, 6751 Madison St.,
- McKean County Genealogical Society, Box 207A Derrick City, PA 16727
- McKean County Historical Society, McKean County Old Jail Building, Smethport, PA 16749-1144; 814-887-5142
- Mauch Chunk Historical Society, P.O. Box 273, Jim Thorpe, PA 18229; (570) 325-4439
- Mercer County Historical Society , 119 South Pitt Str, Mercer, Pennsylvamia 16137
- Mercer County Genealogical Society, Box 812, Sharon, PA 16146-0812
- Mifflin County Historical Society, 1 W. Market St. # 1, Lewistown, PA 17044-2128; (717) 242-1022
- Mifflin County Mennonite Historical Society, Main Street, Belleville PA 17004; (717) 935-5574
- Minisink Valley Historical Society, 125 W Main St # 133, Port Jervis, NY 12771; (845) 856-2375
- Monroe County Historical Association, 900 Main St., Stroudsburg, PA 18360-1604; (570) 421-7703
- Montour County Genealogical Society, 205 Ferry St., Danville, PA 17821 (570) 275-6177
- Montour County Historical Society, 1 Bloom Street, PO Box 8, Danville PA 17821
- Historical Society of Montgomery County, 1654 Dekalb Street Norristown, PA 19401; (610) 272-0297
- New Hope Historical Society, 45 South Main St., New Hope, PA 18938; 215.862.5652
- Newtown Historic Association, Centre Ave. and Court St., Box 303, Newtown, PA 18940; 215.968.4004
- North Hills Genealogists, PO Box 169, Wexford, PA 15090
- Northampton Historical & Genealogical Society, 342 Northampton St, Easton, PA 18042; (610) 283-1222
- Northampton Township Historical Society, P.O. Box 732, 1269 2nd Street Pike, Richboro, PA 18954-2021
- Northumberland County Historical Society , 1150 North Front St., Sunbury, PA 17801-1126; (717) 286-4083
- Old York Road Genealogical Society, Abington Public Library, 1030 Old York Rd, Abington, PA 19001; (215) 885-5180
- Perry County Historical Society, PO Box 81, 129 North Second St. , Newport, PA 17074; (717) 567-9011
- Perry Historians, P. O. Box 73, 762 Dix Hill Road Bloomfield, PA 17068; (717) 582-4896
- Pennsylvania Cornwall Association, 1835 Troxwell St, Allentown 18103; Cornish Room in the Slate Belt Heritage Center, 30 N. First St., Bangor, PA 18072.
- Pike County Historical Society, 608 Broad St., Milford, PA 18337-1704; (717) 296-8126
- Pine Grove Historical Society, P.O. Box 65, 205 North Tulpehocken Street, Pine Grove, PA 17963; (570) 345-0157
- Potter County Historical Society, P. O. Box 605, 308 N. Main St., Coudersport, PA 16915; (814) 274-4410
- Plymouth Historical Society, 115 Gaylord Avenue, Plymouth, PA 18651; (570) 779-5840
- Punxsutawney Area Historical And Genealogical Society, 401 West Mahoning Street, P.O. Box 286, Punxsutawney, PA 15767; 8l4.938.2555
- Quakertown Historical Society, 26 N. Main St., Quakertown, PA 18951-1114; phone: 215.536.3298
- Rockwood Area Historical And Genealogical Society, 531 Main Street, Rockwood, PA 15557
- Richland Historical Society, 130 Richlandtown Pike, Quakertown, PA 18951
- Schuylkill County Historical Society, 305 North Centre Street, Pottsville, PA 17901; (570) 622-7540
- Schwenkfelder Library & Heritage Center, 105 Seminary Street, Pennsburg, PA 18073; (215) 679-3103
- Senator John Heinz Regional History Center, 1212 Smallman Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15222; (412) 454-6000
- Shippensburg Historical Society, 52 West King Street, Shippensburg, PA 17257; (717) 532-6727
- Skippack Historical Society, 1285 Evansburg Road, Skippack, PA 19474; (610) 584-1166
- Snyder County Historical Society Museum and Library, 30 East Market St., P.O.Box 276, Middleburg, PA 17842; 570-837-6191
- South Bethlehem Historical Society, P.O. Box 5106, Bethlehem, PA 18015
- Somerset County Historical and Genealogical Society , PO Box 238, 10649 Somerset Pike, Somerset, PA 15501; (814) 445-6077
- St. Marys Historical Society, 99 Erie Avenue St. Marys, PA 15857; (814) 834-6525
- Sullivan County Historical Society and Museum, 458 Meylert Street, Laporte, PA 18626; (570) 946-5020
- Susquehanna County Historical Society, 18 Monument Square, Montrose, PA 18801; (570) 278-1881
- Susquehanna Trails Genealogy Club, LDS Church, Hollywood Drive, York, PA
- Tioga County Historical Society, Box 724, Wellsboro, PA 16901; 570-724-6116
- Union County Historical Society, 103 South 2nd Street, Union County Courthouse, Lewisburg, PA 17837; (570) 524-8666
- Valley Forge Historical Society, 375 Morgan St, Phoenixville, PA 19460; 610-917-3651
- Venango County Genealogical Club, P.O. Box 811, Oil City, PA 16301-0811; (814) 678-3077
- Venango County Historical Society, 301 South Park Street, Franklin, PA 16323; (814) 437-2275
- Warren County Historical Society, P.O. Box 427, 210 4th Avenue Warren, PA 16365; (814) 723-1795
- Washington County Historical Society, 49 East Maiden Street, Washington, PA 15301; Ph 724-225-6740
- Wayne County Historical Society & Museum , 810 Main St., P.O. Box 446, Honesdale, PA 18431-1847; (570) 253-3240
- Weisenberg / Lowhill Township Historical Society, Werley’s Corner Hotel, PO Box 91, New Tripoli, PA 18051
- West Hanover Township Historical Society, 7171 Allentown Boulevard, Harrisburg, PA 17112
- Westmoreland County Historical Society, 362 Sand Hill Rd #1 Greensburg, PA 15601; (724) 836-1800
- Whitehall Historical Preservation Society, PO Box 39, Whitehall, PA 18052-0039; (610) 776-7280
- Wyoming County Historical Society, Museum & Genealogical Library , P.O. Box 309, Harrison & Bridge St., Tunkhannock, PA 18657; (717) 836-5303
- Yardley Historical Association, 46 W. Afton Ave., Yardley 19067-1420; 215-493-6625
- Evangelical and Reformed Historical Society of the United Church of Christ 555 West James Street Lancaster, PA 17603. loans microfilm of church records, covering German churches in Adams, Berks, Bucks, Chester, Columbia, Dauphin, Lancaster, Lebanon, Lehigh, Monroe, Montgomery, Northampton, Northumberland, Perry, Philadelphia, Schuylkill, and York counties, as well as a few for Maryland and Virginia. Many German church records, particularly for the German Reformed and Evangelical church, have been published in books and periodicals.
- Presbyterian Historical Society 425 Lombard Street Philadelphia, PA 19147. has records of over 20,000 churches and has published the Journal of Presbyterian History since 1901.
- Historical Society of Pennsylvania Philadelphia Jewish Archives Center at the Balch Institute 18 South 7th Street Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19106. has a microfilm collection of Jewish synagogue and cemetery records; other related material. Other important archives are kept by: The Moravians 66 West Church Street Bethlehem, PA 18018
- African-american Genealogy Group, P.O. Box 1798, Philadelphia 19105-1798
- Swedish Colonial Society, 371 Devon Way, West Chester, PA 19380
- German Society of Pennsylvania, 611 Spring Garden Street, Philadelphia, PA 19123
- Jewish Genealogical Society Of Philadelphia, 1279 June Road, Huntingdon Valley 19006-8405
Pennsylvania Newspapers & Publications
Pennsylvania Genealogical publications (magazines, newsletters, periodicals, books, etc.) contain all types of invaluable information about specific ancestors, whole lineages and families, places in time, and about all sorts of genealogical records and repositories.
An updated version of Pennsylvania Newspapers and Selected Out-of-State Newspapers was published by the Pennsylvania State Library in 1984.
The publication is organized according to county, city or town, and title. A newspaper project was also sponsored by Pennsylvania. It included identifying, cataloging, microfilming, and otherwise preserving old newspapers from around the state.
The largest collection is available at the Pennsylvania State Library and microfilmed copies are available through inter-library loan programs. The library’s website lists its available records.
The Western Pennsylvania Genealogical Society, the Free Library of Philadelphia, and the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh also have large newspaper collections available. There have also been several published newspaper abstracts.
Genealogical journals provide you with plenty of sources of information and facts, they are generally overlooked by genealogy and family history researchers and genealogist in looking around for family history.
Many regional and county genealogical and/or historical societies produce periodicals which have records relating to the region or vicinity they operate.
Frequently these publications have articles involving records that are not obtainable somewhere else.
- The Pennsylvania Genealogical Magazine –
published by the Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania since 1948, tends to
focus on the Philadelphia area with some coverage of New Jersey, Delaware, and Maryland. The first issue was numbered volume 16, as it succeeded the society’s Publications of the Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania, started in 1895.
- The Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography –
is the publication of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania. It contains excellent articles on Pennsylvania subjects although mostly with a historical focus, and since 1936 without “genealogical” material.
- The Western Pennsylvania Genealogical Society –
has published the Western Pennsylvania Genealogical Society Quarterly since 1974. It is one of the more important regional journals since it covers a large area with many fine articles and abstracts of source records.
- Your Family Tree (1948-83) –
Another journal that concerns the central and western parts of the commonwealth. Besides queries, it featured abstracts of wills, tax lists, grave marker inscriptions, and newspaper items.
- Pennsylvania German Folklore Society –
was issued in twenty-eight volumes from 1963-66, when it merged with the Pennsylvania German Society Proceedings, which since 1891 had produced sixty-three volumes. Many emigration and church records have been published in these periodicals.
- Pennsylvania History –
published by the Pennsylvania Historical Association since 1934. A cumulative index for volumes 1-28 is available at the Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania. ;
National Genealogical Society Quarterly
- The collection at the Friends Historical Library Swarthmore College Swarthmore, PA 19081 ; The library has original and microfilmed Quaker records, mostly for Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland, and some for Virginia, including those for fourteen Pennsylvania meetings copied by Hinshaw but never published. While the basic meeting records are located at Swarthmore, other material can be found at Haverford College Library Quaker Collection Haverford, PA 19041-1392