South Dakota Archives, Societies & Publications
It is a good idea to familiarize personally with just about any repository in South Dakota that you simply might travel to by communicating with to the best suited archive or library in advance.
Most, if not all, South Dakota repositories have written and published content that present its collections as well as research policy.
South Dakota archives and historical organizations usually have On-line sites that provide equivalent details. Several also contain down loadable data for some or parts of their collections.
List of South Dakota Archives
- National Archives-Rocky Mountain Region, Denver Federal Center, Building 48, West 6th Avenue and Kipling Street, Denver, Colorado 80225-0307. States covered are Colorado, Montana, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, Wyoming; Mailing Address: P.O. Box 25307, Denver, Colorado 80225-0307; Tel: 303-236-0817, Fax: 303-236-9297
- Center for Western Studies Augustana College, 2201 S. Summit Ave., P.O. Box 727, Sioux Falls, SD 57197;
This constitutes a fine collection on Native Americans and Scandinavian pioneers in particular.
List of South Dakota Libraries & Museums
List of South Dakota Historical & Genealogical Societies
For almost every state there is a state genealogical society, a state genealogical council, or both.
In addition to their own work, South Dakota groups many times help coordinate the efforts of local societies throughout the South Dakota.
Their unique publications, newsletters and quarterlies, supplement those created through the area societies.
Regional and State Societies
- South Dakota State Historical Society, Cultural Heritage Center, 900 Governors Dr., Pierre, SD 57501-2294; The society is administratively responsible for the state’s archives and library of printed and microfilm material, which comprise the research collection, as well as the Archaeological Research Center. Its holdings increase annually with many described in various sections of this chapter.
- South Dakota Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1101, Winner, SD 57501-1101; In addition to publishing the society’s quarterly periodical, the society has a number of affiliated local organizations. The website provides contact information to all those organizations.
- North Central South Dakota Genealogical Society, c/o Florence Krueger, 2521 4th Ave. S.E., Aberdeen, SD 57401
County, Township and City Societies
- Aberdeen Area Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 493, Aberdeen, SD 57402-0493
- Bennett County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 487, Martin, South Dakota 57551
- Bennett County Historical Society, HWC #1, Box 5, Martin, South Dakota 57551
- Brandon Historical Society
- Brookings Area Genealogical Society, 515 3rd St., Brookings, SD 57006
- Chamberlain Area Historical Preservation Association, 315 N Main Street, Chamberlain, SD 57325-1241
- Clay County Historical Society Inc., 15 Austin St., Vermillion, SD 57069
- Davison County Sd Genealogical Society, 41004 259th St, Mitchell 57301
- East River Genealogical Forum, RR 2, Box 148, Wolsey SD 57384
- Family Tree Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 263, Winner, SD 57580-0263
- Heritage Club of Platte, Rt 2, Box 128, Platte SD 57369
- Hyde County Historical & Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 392, Highmore, SD 57345-0334
- Kingsbury Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 328, DeSmet, SD 57231
- Lake County Genealogical Society, c/o Karl Mundt Library, Dakota State College, Madison, SD 57042
- Little Cornwall On The Prarie, 2805 South Fourth Avenue, Sioux Falls SD 57105
- Lyman-Brule Genealogical Society, c/o Cozard Library, 110 E. Lawler, Chamberlain, SD 57325
- Menno Historical Society, P.O. Box 223, Menno, SD 57045
- Mitchell Area Genealogical Society, c/o Carnegie Resource Center, 119 W. Third Ave. Or P.O. Box 263, Mitchell, SD 57301
- Moody County Genealogical Society, 501 W. First Ave., Flandreau, SD 57028-1003
- Moody County Historical Society, 706 East Pipestone Avenue, PO Box 25, Flandreau, South Dakota 57028
- Murdo Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 441, Murdo SD 57559
- Nordland Heritage Foundation, Augustana College, Sioux Falls SD 57l97
- Pierre-Ft. Pierre Genealogical Society, Box 925, Pierre, SD 57501-0925
- Platte Genealogical Society, PO Box 517, Platte, SD 57369-0517
- Rapid City Society For Genealogical Research, P.O. Box 1495, Rapid City, SD 57709-1495
- Sioux Valley Genealogical Society, Old Courthouse Museum, 200 W. Sixth St., Sioux Falls, SD 57104; A good microfilm collection of cemetery and old church records, naturalization records, South Dakota histories, and family records, including a surname file with obituaries and other vital records can be found here.
- Tri-State Genealogical Society, c/o Public Library, 905 5th Street, Belle Fourche, SD 57717-1705
- Union County Historical Society, P.O. Box 552, Elk Point SD 57025
- Watertown Genealogical Society, 2322 Conifer Road, Watertown, SD 57201
- Yankton Genealogical Society, Yankton Community Library, 515 Walnut St., Yankton, SD 57078
- Yankton County Historical Society 610 Summit, Yankton, SD 57078; (605) 665-3898
Religious and Ethnic Societies
- Czech Heritage Preservation Society, PO Box 128, Tabor, SD 57063; (605) 463-2476
South Dakota Newspapers & Publications
South Dakota Genealogical publications (magazines, newsletters, periodicals, books, etc.) contain all types of invaluable information about specific ancestors, whole lineages and families, places in time, and about all sorts of genealogical records and repositories.
Twelve of South Dakota’s daily newspapers and about 150 of its weekly newspapers that were all published between 1859 and 2001 are presently being placed on microfilm.
They are among the nearly 1,000 state newspapers whose records are on file at the South Dakota State Archives. Several of them are available via inter-library loan programs.
The cataloged group is constantly being updated. Therefore, there is no existing index available.
Genealogical journals provide you with plenty of sources of information and facts, they are generally overlooked by genealogy and family history researchers and genealogist in looking around for family history.
Many regional and county genealogical and/or historical societies produce periodicals which have records relating to the region or vicinity they operate.
Frequently these publications have articles involving records that are not obtainable somewhere else.
- South Dakota History, published by the South Dakota State Historical Society
- South Dakota Genealogical Society Quarterly, published by that society