Massachusetts Archives, Societies & Publications
It is a good idea to familiarize personally with just about any repository in Massachusetts that you simply might travel to by communicating with to the best suited archive or library in advance.
Most, if not all, Massachusetts repositories have written and published content that present its collections as well as research policy.
Massachusetts archives and historical organizations usually have On-line sites that provide equivalent details. Several also contain down loadable data for some or parts of their collections.
List of Massachusetts Archives
- National Archives – North East Region, Frederick C. Murphy Federal Center, 380 Trapelo Road, Waltham, Massachusetts, 02452-6399; Phone: (781) 663-0130; Fax: (781) 663-0154; E-mail: email@example.com . Serves Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont.
- Commonwealth Museum and State Archives Building, 220 Morrissey Boulevard, Boston, MA 02125; (617) 727-2816, fax 288-8429; As the Massachusetts State Archives, the repository holds all state copies of vital records (1841-95); passenger lists for the Port of Boston (1848-91); federal census records (state copies, 1850-70, with 1880 on microfilm) with all supplemental federal schedules and state censuses for 1855 and 1865; legislative records from the General Court with land grants, petitions, tax records (1643-1787); Eastern land records for the settlement of Maine; human service institution records,; all military records for the state through the Revolution; records of human services institutions; and Judicial Archives beginning with colony era courts to mid-nineteenth century courts.
List of Massachusetts Libraries & Museums
- Berkshire Athenaeum, 1 Wendell Avenue, Pittsfield, MA 01202; The Cooke Collection of eighteenth and nineteenth century church and cemetery records here also includes abstracts of newspaper notices of marriages and deaths; the personal records of ministers; and vital records which supplement the Systematic Series. Serves Massachusetts, Vermont, and Hudson Valley, New York, as well, since the area was a major conduit for movement north and west. The Berkshire Family History Association, Box 1437, Pittsfield, MA 01201, is connected with the Athenaeum and provides a research service in the collections for its members.
- Massachusetts Library Directory
- Boston Public Library, Copley Square, Boston, MA 02117 ; Both the Social Science Reference Department and Microtext Department have important collections for genealogical research. The former holds family genealogies and vertical file material not found elsewhere. Microtext has an extensive collection of census records for New England; copies of National Archives’ Boston ship passenger arrival lists 1820-91; and indexes for 1848-90; 1899 and 1902-6; probate records for Middlesex, Suffolk, and Hampshire counties; Suffolk Court of Common Pleas; town records; newspapers, including the Boston Evening Transcript and indexes; and city directories from over 200 cities and towns in the United States.
- State Library of Massachusetts, 341 State House, Beacon Street, Boston, MA 02133; Ph: 617.727.2590 ; Its genealogical collection includes extensive newspaper collections and indexes; town and county histories; town and county maps and atlases; and city directories back to 1787.
- Worcester Public Library, 3 Salem Square, Worcester, MA 01603; (508) 799-1655
- Commonwealth Museum
- Donald G. Trayser Memorial Museum , 3353 Main Street, Barnstable Village, MA (617) 362-2092
- Erving House Museum, located in the old fire station, Route 2, Erving, MA 01344; 978-544-6339 or 978-544-3705
List of Massachusetts Historical & Genealogical Societies
For almost every state there is a state genealogical society, a state genealogical council, or both.
In addition to their own work, Massachusetts groups many times help coordinate the efforts of local societies throughout the Massachusetts.
Their unique publications, newsletters and quarterlies, supplement those created through the area societies.
Regional and State Societies
- American Antiquarian Society, 185 Salisbury Street, Worcester, MA 01609-1634; Phone: (508) 755-5221
- New England Historic Genealogical Society, 101 Newbury Street, Boston, MA 02116-3087; Founded in the mid-nineteenth century, the society is an extremely active center for New England family research, with an extensive collection of local and family histories, educational programs, and superior publications, including the Register, a quarterly periodical, and Nexus, a bi-monthly newsletter, both distributed to the membership. Library facilities of open stacks (except for manuscripts and rare books) and microfilm collections of New England town and vital records are available on a per-day basis for a $10 fee (free for members). The book loan department makes materials available by mail to members for a small fee, a four-volume catalog provides access to the circulating books. A research service is available to the general public for a fee.
- Chinese Historical Society of New England, 2 Boylston Street, (Suite 210), Boston, MA 02116; Phone: (617) 338-4339
- The Pilgrim Society, 75 Court Street, Plymouth, MA 02360; Connected with the Pilgrim Hall Museum which holds the Plymouth County Court Record Books from 1686-1859, the collection focuses on the Pilgrim experience in Plymouth.
- General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Four Winslow Street, Plymouth, MA 02360; As the national headquarters for state organizations of descendants of Mayflower Pilgrims, it presently publishes the Mayflower Quarterly and the five-generation project. There is a research library available.
- Massachusetts Historical Society, 1154 Boylston Street, Boston, MA 02215; Main number: (617) 536-1608. , Although not a genealogical library, the collection includes rare books, personal papers, manuscripts, particularly the Thwing Collection of Early Bostonians, and rare books focusing particularly on Boston, Massachusetts and New England.
- Massachusetts Genealogical Council, P.O. Box 5393, Cochituate 01778
- American Antiquarian Society, 185 Salisbury Street, Worcester, MA 01609; collection specializing in printed sources of American history prior to 1877.
- Massachusetts Society of Genealogists, Inc., PO Box 215, Ashland, MA 01721-0215; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Essex Institute Library, 132-134 Essex Streetm, Salem, MA 01970;
Largest collection of Essex County original source material and a good collection of published genealogies and town histories for Essex County. This private library, open to annual membership or for a daily fee, currently has the pre-1800 Essex County Court records. There is no fee charged for patrons using only the Essex County court records.
- Connecticut Valley Historical Museum Library and Archives; Springfield Library Genealogy Department, 194 State Street, Springfield, MA 01103; Serving the western portion of the state extremely well, this collection (formerly at the Springfield Public Library) holds an excellent local archives for Springfield and vicinity starting in 1636. This is one of the better collections of ethnic materials available-French Canadian, Irish, and black. Volunteers answer mail inquiries. Western Massachusetts Genealogical Society, Inc., Box 80206, Forest Park Station, Springfield, MA 01108, is a membership organization functioning in connection with the museum
- Western Massachusetts Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 418, West Springfield, MA 01090
- Central Massachusetts Genealogical Society, P. O. Box 811, Westminster, Massachusetts 01473-0811
County, Township and City Societies
- Acushnet Historical Commission, Town Hall, 122 Main Street, Acushnet, MA 02743; Telephone: 508-998-0200
- American Jewish Historical Society, 2 Thornton Road, Waltham
- Amherst Historical Society, 67 Amity Street, Amherst, MA 01002; Phone: (413) 256-0678
- Andover Historical Society, 97 Main Street, Andover, MA 01810; Phone: (978) 475-2236
- Arlington Historical Society, 7 Jason Street Arlington, MA 02476; (781) 648-4300
- Ashland Historical Society, 2 Myrtle Street, Ashland
- Ashfield Historical Society, 457 Main Street, Ashfield, MA 01330; (413) 628-0001
- Attleboro Historic Preservation Society, 185 South Main Street, Attleboro MA 02703; (978) 365-9201
- Barnstable Historical Society, 3087 Main St, Barnstable, MA 02630; 508-362-2982
- Barre Historical Society, 18 Common Street, Barre
- Bay State Historical Society, 185 Lyman Street, Waltham
- Bernardston Historical Society, Powers Institute, Church Street, Bernardston, MA 01337; 413-648-9600;
- Berkley Historical Society, Inc., 1 North Main Street, Berkley
- Berkshire County Historical Society, 780 Holmes Road, Pittsfield MA 01201; Telephone (413) 442-1793
- Berlin Historical Society, Woodward Avenue, Berlin
- Beverly Historical Society, 117 Cabot Street, Beverly, MA 01915; Phone: (978) 922 1186
- Billerica Historical Society, PO Box 381, 36 Concord Road, Billerica, MA 01821; (978) 667-7020
- Bolton Historical Society, 676 Main Street Bolton, MA 01740; (978) 779-6392
- Boston To Providence Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 470, Wrentham, MA 02093
- Boston Historical Society, Old State House, 206 Washington Street, Boston, MA 02109-1713; Phone: (617) 720-1713
- Bourne Historical Society, Box 3095, 30 Keene St., Bourne, MA. 02532; 508-759-8167
- Boylston Historical Society, 7 Central Street, PO Box 459, Boylston, MA 01505; Phone: (508) 869-2720
- Braintree Historical Society, 786 Washington Street, Braintree, MA 02184; Phone: (617) 848-1640
- Brewster Historical Society, PO Box 1146, 3171 Main Street, Brewster, Massachusetts 02631; Phone: (508) 896-9521
- Brighton-Alston Historical Society, Box 35-163, Brighton, MA 02135; Phone: (617) 782-8483
- Bristol Co Chapter, Massachusetts Society of Genealogists, 34 Chicopee Street, New Bedford, MA 02745
- Boxborough Historical Society, 629 Massachusetts Avenue, Boxborough, MA 01719
- Brockton Historical Society, 216 No. Pearl Street, Brockton, MA 02301; Phone: (508) 583-1039
- Brookline Historical Society, 347 Harvard Street, Brookline
- Buckland Historical Society, 32 Upper Street, Buckland, MA 01338; 413-625-6619, 413-625-9763
- Burlington Historical Commission, Bedford Street and Cambridge Str, Burlington
- Cambridge Historical Society, Hooper-Lee-Nichols House, 159 Brattle Street, Cambridge, MA 02138; (617) 547-4252
- Cambridge Historical Commission, 831 Massachusetts Ave., 2nd Fl., Cambridge, MA 02139; (617) 349-4683
- Canton Historical Society, 1400 Washington Street, Canton
- Cape Ann Historical Society, 27 Pleasant Street, Gloucester, MA 01930; Phone: (978) 283-0455
- Cape & Islands Historical Association, P.O. Box 50, Bourne, MA 02559-0050 (508)888-3300, Ext. 103
(old address 359 Main St. N. Harwich, MA 02645 )
- Cape Cod Community College Nickerson Archives, 2240 Iyannough Road, West Barnstable, MA 02668; 508.362.2131
- Cape Cod Genealogical Society, PO Box 1394, E Harwich, MA 02645
- Cape Cod Chapter, National Railway Historical Society, P.O. Box 1912, 2469 Meetinghouse Way, (Route 149), West Barnstable, MA 02668; 508-362-WBTS (508-362-9287)
- Centerville Historical Society, 513 Main Street, Centerville, MA 02632, (508) 775-0331
- Central Massachusetts Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 811, Westminster
- Central Massachusetts Genealogical Society, Inc, P. O. Box 811, Westminster 01473-0811
- Charlestown Historical Society, 43 Monument Square, Charlestown
- Charlton Historical Society, P.O. Box 252, Charlton
- Chatham Historical Society, 347 Stage Harbor Road Chatham, MA 02633; (508) 945-2493
- Chelmsford Historical Society, 40 Byam Road, Chelmsford, MA 01824; (978) 256-2311
- Chester Historical Society, Town Hall, 15 Middlefield Street, Chester, MA 01011
- Chesterfield Historical Society, 66 East Street, Chesterfield, MA 01012; phone: 413-296-4750
- Charlemont Historical Society, Town Hall, second floor, Main Street, Charlemont, MA 01339; 413-339-4947
- Cohasset Historical Society, 14 Summer Street, Cohasset
- Colrain Historical Society, Main Street, Colrain, MA 01340; 413-624-3710
- Conway Historical Society, Main Street, Conway, MA 01341;phone: 413-369-4224
- Danvers Historical Society, 11 Page Street, PO Box 381, Danvers, MA 01923, Phone: (978) 777-1666
- Dedham Historical Society, P.O. Box 215, Dedham, MA 02027; Phone: (781) 326-1385
- Dennis Historical Society , PO Box 607, S Dennis, MA 02660-0607; 508-385-2232
- Dorchester Historical Society, 195 Boston Street, Dorchester, MA 02125-1613; Phone: (617) 265-7802
- Dukes County Historical Society, Cooke and School Streets, Edgartown
- Duxbury Rural & Historical Society, PO Box 2865, 479 Washington Street, Duxbury, MA 02331; Phone: (781) 934-6106
- Easton Historical Commission, 136 Elm Street, North Easton, MA 02356
- Essex Historical Society, Box 277, 66 Main Street, Essex, MA 01929; Phone: (978) 768-7541
- Essex Society Of Genealogists, P.O. Box 313, Lynnfield
- Eastham Historical Society, 2375 State Hwy Eastham, MA 02642; (508) 255-0788
- Fall River Historical Society, 451 Rock Street, Fall River, MA 02720; Telephone (508)679-1071
- Falmouth Genelogical Society , PO Box 2107, Teaticket, MA 02536
- Falmouth Historical Society, 55 and 65 Palmer Avenue, Falmouth, MA; Tel. (508) 548-4857
- Fitchburg Historical Society, 50 Grove Street, Fitchburg, MA 01420; Phone: (978) 345-1157
- Fort Taber Historical Association, 1000c Rodney French Blvd., New Bedford, MA 02744; Phone: 508-994-3938.
- Framingham Historical Society, P.O. Box 2032, Framingham, MA 01703; (508) 872-3780
- Freedom Trail Foundation, 3 Schoool Street, Boston, MA 02108; Phone: (617) 227-8800
- Georgetown Historical Society, P.O. Box 376, Georgetown, MA 01833
- Gill Historical Society, located in the former Riverside School, Route 2, Gill, MA 01376; 413-863-2505
- Grafton Historical Society, One Grafton Common, Grafton, MA 01519; Phone: (508) 839-0000
- Greater Lowell Genealogy Club, Lowell
- Greenfield Historical Society, 43 Church Street, Greenfield
- Groton Historical Society, 172 Main Street, Groton
- Harwich Historical Society, PO Box 17, 80 Parallel Street, Harwich, MA 02645; (508) 432-8089
- Hardwick Historical Society, On Hardwick Common, Hardwick 01037
- Harvard Historical Society, P.O. Box 542, Harvard
- Haverhill Historical Society, 240 Water Street, Haverhill, MA 01830; Phone: (978) 374-4626
- Heath Historical Society, P.O. Box 698, Heath, MA 01346; 413-337-4980
- Heritage Plantation of Sandwich, 67 Grove Street Sandwich, MA 02563; (508) 888-3300
- Hetty Green Historical, 52 Union Street, New Bedford
- Hingham Historical Society, P.O Box 434, Hingham, MA 02043; Phone: (781) 749-7721
- Historical Society of Greenfield, 43 Church St, Greenfield, MA 01301-2954; Phone (413) 774-3663
- Historical Society of Old Newbury, 98 High Street, Newburyport, MA 01950; Phone: (978) 462-2681
- Historic Society of Santuit and Cotuit, 1148 Main Street, Cotuit, Massachusetts 02635; 508-428-0461
- Historical Society of Old Yarmouth, P.O. Box 11, 11 Strawberry Lane, Yarmouth Port, MA 02675 (508) 362-3021
- Ipswich Historical Society, 54 South Main Street, Ipswich 01938-2322
- Jamaica Plain Historical Society, P.O. Box 2924, Jamaica Plain MA 02130; Phone: (617) 522-1150
- Jewish Genealogical Society Of Greater Boston, P.O. Box 610366, Newton
- Jones River Village Historical Society, Maple Street and Landing Road, Kingston
- Lawrence History Center, Immigrant City Archives, Lawrence 01840
- Lawrence, Historical Society Of, 6 Essex Street, Lawrence
- Leicester Historical Society, 1136 Main St, Leicester, MA 01524; 508-892-9900
- Leominster Historical Society, 17 School Street, Leominster, MA 01453; Phone: (978) 537-5424
- Leverett Historical Society, Moore’s Corner Schoolhouse, North Leverett Rd., Leverett, MA 01054; 413-367-2800, 413-548-9082
- Lexington Historical Society, PO Box 514, Lexington, MA 02420; (781) 862-1703
- Lincoln Historical Society, P.O. Box 6084, Lincoln Center, MA 01773
- Littleton Historical Society, 4 Rogers Street, PO Box 721, Littleton MA 01460; (978) 486-8202
- Longmeadow Historical Society, 697 Longmeadow Street, Longmeadow, MA 01106; (413) 567-3600
- Louisa May Alcott Historical Assn, 399 Lexington Road, PO Box 343, Concord, MA 01742; (978) 369-4118
- Lowell Historical Society, P.O. Box 1826, 115 John Street, Lowell, MA 01853; (978) 970-5180
- Lynn Historical Society, 125 Green Street, Lynn
- Manchester Historical Society, 10 Union Street, Manchester
- Marblehead Historical Society, 161 Washington Street, Marblehead
- Martha’s Vineyard Historical Society, 59 School Street, P.O. Box 1310, Edgartown, MA 02539; Phone: (508) 627-4441
- Marlborough Historical Society, Peter Rice Homestead, 377 Elm Street, Marlborough, MA; (508) 485-4763
- Mattapoisett Historical Society, 5 Church Street, Mattapoisett, MA; Phone: (508) 758-2654
- Methuen Historical Society, 41 Pleasant Street Methuen, MA 01844; (978) 683-2252
- Middleboro Historical Association, Jackson Street, Middleboro
- Middleton Historical Society, Pleasant Street, Middleton
- Milton Historical Society, 1370 Canton Avenue, Milton
- Nantucket Historical Association, PO Box 1016, Nantucket, MA 02554; Phone: (508) 228-1894
- Narragansett Historical Society, The Common, Templeton
- Natick, Historical Society Of, 58 Eliot Street, South Natick
- Needham Historical Society, 1147 Central Ave, Needham, MA 02492; Phone: (781) 455-8860
- Newburyport Maritime Society, 25 Water Street, Newburyport, MA 01950; Phone: (978) 462-8681
- Newton Historical Society, 286 Waverley Avenue Newton, MA 02458; (617) 641-9142
- New Bedford Historical Society, P.O. Box 40084, New Bedford
- New England Historic Genealogical Society, 101 Newbury Street, Boston 02116
- North Adams Historical Society, Inc., P.O. Box 333, North Adams
- North Andover Historical Society, 153 Academy Road, North Andover
- Northfield Historical Society, 13 Pine Street, PO Box 131, Northfield, MA 01360; 413-498-4338
- Northampton Historical Society, 46 Bridge Street, Northampton
- Northborough Historical Society, 50 Main Street , PO BOX 661, Northborough, MA 01532; Phone: (508) 393-6298
- Norton Historical Society, 18 West Main Street, PO Box 1711, Norton, MA 02766; Phone: (508) 285-7070
- Old Colony Historical Society, 66 Church Green, Taunton, MA 02780; Phone: (508) 822-1622
- Old Dartmouth Historical Society, 18 Johnny Cake Hill, New Bedford, MA 02740; Phone: (508) 997-0046
- Old Newbury, Historical Society Of, 98 High Street, Newburyport
- Old Yarmouth, Historical Society Of, 11 Strawberry Lane, Yarmouth Port
- Orange Historical Society, 41 North Main Street, Orange, MA 01364; 978-544-6286
- Orleans Historical Society, 3 River Rd., PO Box 353 , Orleans, MA 02653; 508-240-1329
- Osterville Historical Society, 155 West Bay Road, Osterville, MA 02655; Phone: (508) 428-5861
- Paxton Historical Commission, 17 West Street, Paxton, MA 01612; (508) 798-5092
- Peabody Historical Society, 35 Washington Street, Peabody MA 01960; Phone: (978) 531-0805
- Pelham Historical Society, 2 South Valley Road, Pelham 01002
- Pembroke Historical Society, Center Street, Pembroke
- Petersham Historical Society, North Main Street, Petersham
- Polish Genealogical Society Of Massachusetts,
- Quincy Historical Society, 8 Adams Street, Quincy
- Ramapogue Historical Society, 70 Park Street, West Springfield
- Randolph Historical Society, 360 North Main Street, Randolph, MA 02368
- Raynham Historical Commission, 54 Orchard St. (Town Hall), Raynham 02767
- Raynham Historical Society, P.O. Box 136, Raynham Center 02768
- Rockland Historical Commission, 242 Union Street, Rockland MA 02370; (207) 594-6193
- Roslindale Historical Society, 120 Poplar Street, Roslindale, MA 02131
- Rowe Historical Society and Kemp-McCarthy Memorial Museum , 282 Zoar Road, Rowe, MA 01367; Phone: 413-339-4238
- Rowley Historical Society, 233 Main St, Rowley
- Roxbury Historical Society, 189 Roxbury Street, Roxbury
- Rumford Historical Association, 90 Elm Street, North Woburn
- Sandwich Historical Society, 129 Main Street, Sandwich
- Sandy Bay Historical Society, 40 King Street, Rockport
- Saugus Historical Society, PO Box 1209, Saugus, MA 01906-1209; Phone: (781) 233-7232
- Santuit And Cotuit, Historical Society Of, 1148 Main Street, Cotuit, Massachusetts 02635; 508-428-0461
- Scituate Historical Society, 43 Cudworth Road, P. O. Box 276, Scituate Massachusetts 02066 – 781 545-1083
- Shelburne Historical Society, P.O. Box 86, 33 Severance Street Shelburne Falls, MA 01370; (413) 625-6150
- Sheffield [ma] Historical Society, 159 Main Street, Sheffield 01257-0474
- Shirley Historical Society, 182 Center Road, PO Box 217, Shirley, MA 01464-0217; (978) 425-9328
- Somerville Historical Society, 1 Westwood Road, Somerville, MA 02143; Phone: (617) 666-9810
- Southborough Historical Society, 25 Common Street, PO Box 364, Southborough, MA 01772; Phone: (508) 229-8055
- South End Historical Society, 522 Massachusetts Avenue, Boston, MA 02118; Phone: (617) 536-4445
- Sterling Historical Society, 7 Pine St., Sterling
- Stoneham Historical Society, 36 William Street, Stoneham, MA 02180-3845
- Stoughton Historical Society, 6 Park Street, Stoughton
- Sudbury Historical Society, Inc., P.O. Box 233, Sudbury
- Sutton Historical Society, General Rufus Putnam Hall, 4 Uxbridge Road , Sutton, MA 01590
- Swampscott Historical Society, 99 Paradise Road, Swampscott
- Swedish Ancestry Research Association, P.O. Box 70603, Worcester
- Swift River Valley Historical Society, 40 Elm Street, New Salem, MA 01355; 978-544-6882
- The Home For Little Wanderers, 271 Huntington Avenue, Boston 02115
- Topsfield Historical Society, One Howlett Street, Topsfield
- Wakefield Historical Society, PO Box 1902, Wakefield, MA 01880
- Waltham Historical Society, 190 Moody Street, Waltham MA 02453; 781-891-5815
- Warwick Historical Society, 6 Athol Road, Warwick, MA 01378; 978-544-3461, 978-544-3628
- Wayland Historical Society, 12 Cochituate Road, Wayland
- Wellesly Historical Society, Dadmun-McNamara House, 229 Washington Street, P.O. Box 81142, Wellesley Hills, MA 02481; Phone: (781) 235-6690
- Wellfleet Historical Society, Main Street, Wellfleet
- Westfield Historic Commission, 59 Court Street.
Westfield, MA 01085; (413) 572-6200
- Weston Historical Society, 626 Boston Post Road, Weston
- Weymouth Historical Society, Weymouth 02189
- Whately Historical Society, P.O. Box 7, 218 Chestnut Plain Road, Whately, MA 01093
- Winchendon Historical Society, 50 Pleasant Street, Winchendon
- Winchester Historical Society, P.O. Box 127, 15 High Street Winchester, MA 01890; (781) 721-0135
Religious and Ethnic Societies
Massachusetts Newspapers & Publications
Massachusetts Genealogical publications (magazines, newsletters, periodicals, books, etc.) contain all types of invaluable information about specific ancestors, whole lineages and families, places in time, and about all sorts of genealogical records and repositories.
Massachusetts has many wonderful repositories. Each one contains several manuscripts and resources. The following are all excellent resources to consult:
There are many western Massachusetts collections as well. Two of the best are the Connecticut Valley Historical Museum and the Berkshire Athenaeum.
Some marriages and death notices have been included in newspapers in the state of Massachusetts ever since 1704. Many of those newspapers have typescript or published indexes.
A Guide to Newspaper Indexes in New England, which was produced by the New England Library Association’s Bibliography Committee, is an excellent resource for researchers.
The Boston Pilot was an Irish immigrant advertisement service for about 90 years. It was used to help them locate family members and friends who were missing.
Those advertisements can be found in The Search for Missing Friends: Irish Immigrant Advertisements placed in the Boston Pilot, 1831-1920, or in another collection, which is a set of 6 volumes covering 1831 to 1870.
The State Library of Massachusetts, the American Antiquarian Society, and the Boston Public Library at Copley Square hold the biggest collections of Massachusetts newspapers.
However, one of the most useful collections for genealogists is actually the Boston Evening Transcript. It was published from 1895 to 1941. It contained a genealogical column, which had notes, questions and answers.
The Boston Public Library has indexes to those columns available and so do several other repositories in New England. The Hartford Times also had a similar column, which has been indexed as well.
Genealogical journals provide you with plenty of sources of information and facts, they are generally overlooked by genealogy and family history researchers and genealogist in looking around for family history.
Many regional and county genealogical and/or historical societies produce periodicals which have records relating to the region or vicinity they operate.
Frequently these publications have articles involving records that are not obtainable somewhere else.
- The New England Historical and Genealogical Register – published since 1847 by the society, serves all of New England and sets a standard for professional research with genealogies, local history, vital, church, and cemetery records and important book reviews. Each volume has an every-name annual index. A cumulative index across volumes is available
- The Mayflower Descendant: A Quarterly Magazine of Pilgrim Genealogy and History (1899-1936; 1985-present) andThe Mayflower Quarterly (1935-present)are excellent for family articles and abstracts, particularly of vital and probate records. The Mayflower Descendant is indexed in separate volumes, in addition to a consolidated index for 1899-1936. The Mayflower Quarterly has only annual indexes. They are both published by the Mayflower Society
- The Essex Genealogist: (Essex, Mass., 1980-present)published by the Essex Society of Genealogists, c/o Lynnfield Public Library, 18 Summer Street, Lynnfield, Massachusetts 01940.
- Berkshire Genealogist: (1978- present)a quarterly devoted to western Massachusetts, published by the Berkshire Family History Association, Box 1437, Pittsfield, Massachusetts 01201.
- The American Genealogist (TAG) (Dept. A, 128 Massasoit Drive, Warwick, RI 02888) an independent quarterly founded by Donald Lines Jacobus in 1922, its primary focus is New England.
- Essex Institute Historical Collections (1859-present) and Essex Antiquarian; A Quarterly Magazine Devoted to the Biography, Genealogy, History and Antiquities of Essex County, Massachusetts (1897-1909) cover considerable primary and secondary source material for Essex County.
Other periodicals, now longer publishing, with historical material include: