Ohio Archives, Societies & Publications
It is a good idea to familiarize personally with just about any repository in Ohio that you simply might travel to by communicating with to the best suited archive or library in advance.
Most, if not all, Ohio repositories have written and published content that present its collections as well as research policy.
Ohio archives and historical organizations usually have On-line sites that provide equivalent details. Several also contain down loadable data for some or parts of their collections.
List of Ohio Archives
- Ohio Historical Society, Archives-Library Division, 1982 Velma Avenue, Columbus, OH 43211; Telephone: 614-297-2300; The Ohio Historical Society Archives/Library is, by law, the archives for the State of Ohio. As such, we collect, preserve, and make available to the public, documents pertaining to the operation of state and local governments.
- Archives and Special Collections, Wright State University Library, Dayton, OH 45435-0001; Serves Region 7-west central Ohio.
- Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, OH 43403-0175. Serves Region 2-northwest Ohio.
- Ohio Network of American History Research Centers; Established in 1970 to aid in the collection, preservation, and accessibility of research materials related to Ohio history, the network is composed of seven institutions -Ohio’s two largest historical societies and five state universities. A central feature of the network is the division of the entire state into seven distinct geographical areas for research. Each center collects county records for its area.
- Western Reserve Historical Society Library and Archives 10825 East Boulevard, Cleveland, Ohio, 44106; 216-721-5722 x 224, FAX 216-721-5702.
- Ohio Department of Health, [ Birth Records from 1908, Death Records From 1908 ]Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 118 , Columbus, OH 43216-0118 ; Phone: (614) 466-2531; For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of the county where the birth occurred. For birth and death records from Dec. 20, 1908, through Dec. 31, 1944, contact The Ohio Historical Society at 1-800-653-6446 or 614-297-2510
- Ashland University Archives, 401 College Ave, Ashland, OH 44805-3799; Phone: (419) 289-5433
- Cuyahoga County Archives, 2905 Franklin Blvd NW, Cleveland 44113; (216) 443-7250
- Archives of Ohio United Methodism, Beeghly Library, 43 Rowland Ave, Ohio, OH 43015-2370; Phone: (740) 368-3285; The Archives of Ohio United Methodist holds a collection of books, manuscripts, photographs, and memorabilia that documents the history of the East and West Ohio Conferences of the United Methodist Church and their antecedents. Materials date from 1800 to the present.
List of Ohio Libraries & Museums
- Serpent Mound, 3850 State Route 73, Peebles, OH 45660-9128; Phone: (937) 587-2796
- Columbus Metropolitan Library, Genealogy Division, 96 S. Grant Ave., Columbus, OH 43215. 614-645-2ASK (2275); The Genealogy Division holds microfilm; printed, typescript, and manuscript collections, including family and local histories; atlases; cemetery records; city directories; military records; censuses and census indexes; and transcribed records provided by the Ohio chapters of the DAR.
- Archives and Special Collections Alden Library, Ohio University, Athens, OH 45701-2978. Serves Region 5-southeast Ohio.
- Bierce Library, University of Akron, Akron, OH 44325-1750. Serves Region 1-east central Ohio
- Blegen Library, University of Cincinnati Cincinnati, OH 45221-0113 ; Serves Region 3-southwest Ohio.
List of Ohio Historical & Genealogical Societies
For almost every state there is a state genealogical society, a state genealogical council, or both.
In addition to their own work, Ohio groups many times help coordinate the efforts of local societies throughout the Ohio.
Their unique publications, newsletters and quarterlies, supplement those created through the area societies.
Regional and State Societies
- Ohio Genealogical Society, 713 South Main Street, Mansfield OH 44907-1644; Membership includes a quarterly, The Ohio Genealogical Society Quarterly, and the bimonthly OGS Genealogy News. The society has annual meetings, one hundred county chapters, the Families of Ohio lineage society, and publishes various items of genealogical and historical interest. This library contains over 26,000 volumes, family vertical files, Bible records, ancestors cards, manuscript files, census microfilm, and a broad variety of other valuable resources for research in Ohio. A response to a written request for general and specific information is answered promptly, cordially, and very thoroughly.
- Ohio Historical Society, Archives-Library Division 800 E. 17th Ave., Columbus, OH 43211-2474; Telephone: 614-297-2300; The society’s library collections document the history of Ohio and its people, including 125,000 books and pamphlets and 40,000 reels of newspaper microfilm and 20,000 volumes of original newspapers. The newspaper collection is one of the nation’s largest. Their audiovisual collections are outstanding, including nearly 7,500 photographs of locomotives and railroad subjects in the G. Hayes Coleman series. Major works on the settlement and government of Northwest Territory are in the rare books division. The society houses (at the above address) the State Archives of Ohio, with more than 30,000 cubic feet of state and local government records. The society also serves the central Ohio counties as part of the Ohio Network of American History Research Centers.
- Western Reserve Historical Society 10825 East Boulevard, Cleveland, Ohio 44106. Telephone: (216) 721-5722 ; Its extensive manuscript collection (published guide available by mail) is supplemented by an equally extensive microfilm collection of federal census returns and the National Archives Revolutionary War Pension records. The society serves as the network center for its area and charges a per-day fee for nonmembers.
- Florida Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society, PO Box 56433 , Jacksonville, Florida 32241-6433 ; holds an annual meeting on the third weekend in February in different areas of Florida.
- Southern Ohio Genealogical Society PO Box 414 Hillsboro, OH 45133 meets at the Southern State Community College, Central Campus, Hillsboro, OH at 7:00 pm on the second Thursday each month except January and February
- Ohio Mayflower Descendants – The Ohio Mayflower Society is part of a national group, the General Society of Mayflower Descendants, who enjoys history and fellowship.
- Ohio Cemetery Preservation Society, P.O. Box 24810, Lyndhurst 44124-0810
- Daughters of the American Revolution-Ohio Society, 5253 Willow Dr, Lima, OH 45807-1337
- National Society of Daughters of the American Revolution,
- Ohio Society of Sons of the American Revolution,
- National Society of Sons of the American Revolution, 1000 South Fourth Street, Louisville, Kentucky 40203; (502) 589-1776
- Florida Chapter, OGS, PO Box 466, Melrose, FL 32666-0466 ; Florida Chapter, OGS holds an annual meeting on the third weekend in February in different areas of Florida. Write for information.,
County, Township and City Societies
- Adams County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 231, West Union 45693
- Adams County Historical Society, 507 North Cherry Street, West Union 45693
- Allen County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 1104, Lima OH, 45802;
- Allen County Historical Society, 620 W Market St, Lima, OH 45801-4604; Phone: (419) 222-9426
- Alliance Genealogical Society, The, P.O. Box 3630, Alliance 44601
- Amelia Area Historical Society, PO Box 481, 44 Oak St, Amelia, OH 45102-0481; Phone: (513) 753-5777
- Ashland County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 681, Ashland, OH 44805-0681
- Ashland County Historical Society & Museum, 420 Center St., Ashland OH 44805; Phone: (419) 289 3111
- Ashtabula County Genealogical Society, c/o Geneva Public Library, 860 S, Geneva 44041-9101
- Ashtabula County Historical Society, P.O. Box 36, Jefferson 44047
- Athens County Chapter – Ogs, 65 North Court Street, Athens 45701
- Auglaize County Genealogy Society, P.O. Box 2021, Wapakoneta 45895-0521
- Belden Historical Society, Grafton 44044
- Berea Area Historical Society, P.O. Box 173, Berea 44017
- Black River Genealogists, 351 6th St, Lorain 44052
- Botkins Historical Society, P.O. Box 256, Botkins 45306
- Brooking Society, American Chapter, 1007 Birdhaven Way, Milford 45150
- Brookville Historical Society, Inc., P.O. Box 82, Brookville 45309-0082
- Brown County Historical Society , PO Box 238, Georgetown, OH 45121-0238; Phone: 937-446-3226 or 937-378-2355
- Brown County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 83, Georgetown, OH 45121-0083
- Brunswick Historical Society, P.O. Box 714, Brunswick 44212
- Butler County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 2011, Middletown, OH 45044-2011
- Butler County Historical Society, 327 N 2nd St, Hamilton, OH 45011-1651; Phone: (513) 896-9930;
- Carroll County Genealogical Society, 59 3rd St. Ne, Carrollton 44615-1205
- Catholic Record Society,
- Centerville-washington Township Historical Society, 89 West Franklin Street, Centerville 45459
- Chatham Township Historical Society, 9610 Old Mill Rd., Spencer 44275
- Cincinnati Historical Society, 1301 Western Ave, Cincinnati 45203-1127
- Clark County Historical Society, 818 N Fountain Ave, Springfield 45504
- Clermont County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 394, Batavia 45103
- Clinton County Genealogical & Historical Society, P.O. Box 529, Wilmington 45177
- Columbiana County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 861, Salem 44460
- Conneaut Area Historical Society, 235 Fifield Ave., Conneaut 44030
- Coshocton County Chapter – Ogs, P.O. Box 128, Coshocton 43812-0128
- County Line Historical Society of Wayne-Holmes County, 281 North Market St., Shreve, OH 44676-0614; Phone: 330-567-0071
- Crawford County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 92, Galion 44833-0092
- Cumberland Trail Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 576, Clairesville 43905
- Darke County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 908, Greenville 45331-0908
- Defiance County Genealogical Society,
- Delaware County Historical And Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1126, Delaware 43015-8126
- East Cuyahoga County Genealogical Society, P. O. Box 24182, Lyndhurst 44124-0184
- Erie County Chapter, Ohio Genealogical Society,
- Fairfield County Genealogical Society,
- Fayette County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 342, Washington Court House 43160
- Firelands Historical Society, 4 Case Ave, Norwalk 44857
- Franklin County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 2406, Columbus 43216
- Fredericktown Historical Society, 2 East Sandusky Street, Fredericktown 43019
- Fulton County Genealogy Society, P.O. Box 337, Swanton 43558
- Fulton County Historical Society, 229 Monroe Street, Wauseon 43567
- Gallia County Historical/genealogical Society, 412 Second Avenue, Gallipolis 45631
- Geauga County Genealogical Society, 110 East Park St., Chardon 44024-1213
- Granger Historical Society, 1195 Granger Rd., Medina 44256
- Great Lakes Historical Society, Vermilion 44089
- Greene County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 706, Xenia 45385
- Greenfield Historical Society, Mcarthur and Jefferson, Greenfield 45123
- Guernsey County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 661, Cambridge 43725-0661
- Hamilton County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 15851, Cincinnati 45215-0851
- Hancock Co Chapter Of Ohio Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 672, Findlay 45840-0672
- Hardin County Genealogy Society, P.O. Box 520, Kenton 43326-0520
- Harrison County Genealogical Society, 45507 Unionvale Road, Cadiz 43907-9723
- Henry County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 231, Deshler 43516
- Henry County Historical Society, P.O. Box 443, Napoleon 43545
- Highland County Genealogy Society, 151 East Main Street, Hillsboro 45133
- Highland County Historical Society, 151 East Main Street, Hillsboro 45133
- Hinckley Historical Society, P.O. Box 471, Hinckley 44233
- Historic New Richmond Historical Society, P.O. Box 2, New Richmond 45157
- Hocking County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 115, Rockbridge 43149-0015
- Hudson Historical Society, 22 Aurora St., Hudson 44236
- Huron County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 923, Norwalk 44857-0923
- Huron County Historical Society,
- Huron Historical Society, 401 Williams St, Huron 44839
- International Internet Tech, 54 Sturges Ave, Mansfield 44902
- Jackson County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 807, Jackson 45640-0807
- Jefferson County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 4712, Steubenville 43952
- Jefferson County Historical Association,
- Jefferson County Historical Society, P.O. Box 4268, Steubenville 43952
- Kelleys Island Historical Association, P.O. Box 328, Kelleys Island 43438
- Knox County Genealogical Society, 658 N. Sandusky Street, Fredericktown 43019
- Knox County Historical Society, 997 Harcourt Road, Mt. Vernon 43050
- Lake County Genealogical Society, 184 Phelps Street, Painesville 44077-3927
- Lake County Historical Society, 8610 King Memorial Road, Mentor 44060
- Lake Erie Historical Society, Put In Bay 43456
- Lakewood Historical Society, 14710 Lake Avenue, Lakewood 44107
- Lawrence County Chapter, Ohio Genealogical Society,
- Lawrence County Genealogy Society, P.O. Box 945, Ironton 45638-0945
- Licking County Genealogical Society, 101 West Main Street, Newark 43055-5054
- Licking County Historical Society, 6 N 6th St, Newark 43055
- Litchfield Historical Society, 4700 Avon Lake Rd., Litchfield 44253
- Lodi Historical Society, 117 Wooster St., Lodi 44254
- Logan County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 36, Bellefontaine 43311-0036
- Logan County Historical Society, 521 East Columbus Avenue, Bellefontaine 43311-2401
- Lorain County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 865, Elyria 44036-0865
- Lorain County Historical Society, 509 Washington Avenue, Elyria 44035
- Lucas County Chapter, Ohio Genealogical Society, Toledo-Lucas County Public Libra, Toledo 43624
- Lucas County Genealogical Society, 1302 Corry Avenue, Toledo 43614-2730
- Lucasville Area Historical Society, P.O. Box 761, Lucasville 45648
- Madison County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 102, London 43140
- Manchester Historical Society, PO Box 1, Manchester, OH 45144-0001; Phone: (937) 549-2033
- Marion County Ohio Historical And Genealogy Societies,
- Mason Historical Society, 207 Church Street, Mason 45040
- Maumee Valley Historical Society, 1031 River Road, Maumee 43537
- Medina County Genealogical Society, 2862 Abbeyville Rd., Medina 44256
- Medina County Historical Society, P.O. Box 306, Medina 44258
- Meigs County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 346, Pomeroy 45769
- Meigs County Historical Society, 144 Butternut Ave, Pomeroy 45769
- Mercer County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 437, Celina 45822-0437
- Miami County Genealogical Researchers,
- Miami County Historical & Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 305, Troy 45373-0305
- Miami Valley County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1364, Dayton 45401-1364
- Miami Valley Genealogy On-line,
- Milan Historical Society, 10 Edison Dr, Milan 44846
- Monroe County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 641, Woodsfield 43793-0641
- Montgomery County Chapter – Ogs, P.O. Box 1584, Dayton 45401-1584
- Morgan County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 418, Mc Connelsville 43756-0418
- Morrow County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 401, Mt. Gilead 43338
- Muskingum County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 3066, Zanesville 43702-3066
- Noble County Chapter, OGS, PO Box 174, Caldwell, OH 43724-0174, Phone: 740-732-4506
- Noble County Historical Society, P.O. Box 128, Caldwell 43724
- Oakwood Historical Society, 1947 Far Hills Avenue, Dayton 45419-2536
- Ohio Cemetery Preservation Society, P.O. Box 24810, Lyndhurst 44124-0810
- Old Northwest Historical Society,
- Palatines To America, 4604 North High St., Columbus 43214-2001
- Pemberville-freedom Area Historical Society, P.O. Box 802, Pemberville 43450
- Perry County Historical Society, P.O. Box 746, Somerset 43783-0746
- Perry Historical Society Of Lake County, Ohio, P.O. Box 216, Perry 44081
- Pickaway County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 85, Circleville 43113
- Pike County, Ohio Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 224, Waverly 45690
- Plymouth Area Historical Society, 15 Sandusky St, Willard 44890
- Portage County Genealogical Society, 6252 N. Spring Street, Ravenna 44266
- Portage County Historical Society, 6549 North Chestnut Street, Ravenna 44266
- Portsmouth Genealogy Society, 1220 Gallia St, Portsmouth 45662
- Preble County Genealogical Society,
- Richland County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 3823, Mansfield 44907-0823
- Roseville Historical Society, 91 Main Street, Roseville 43777
- Ross County Genealogical Society, 270 S Paint St, Chillicothe 45601
- Scioto County Genealogy Society, P.O. Box 812, Portsmouth 45662
- Scioto County Historical Society, P.O. Box 1810, Portsmouth 45662
- Scioto Historical Society, P.O. Box 73, Chillicothe 45601
- Seneca County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 157, Tiffin 44883-0841
- Seville Historical Society, 70 W. Main St., Seville 44273
- Sharon Heritage Society, P.O. Box 57, Sharon Center 44274
- Shelby County Genealogical Society, 17755 State Route 47, Sidney 45365-9242
- Shelby County Historical Society, P.O. Box 376, Sidney 45365-0376
- Shelby County Historical Society Kid’s Site, P.O. Box 376, Sidney 45365
- Smithville Community Historical Society, Smithville
- Society For The Preservation Of Ohio One Room Schools, 6570 Crest Circle, Middletown 45042-9233
- Society Of Historic Sharonville, Sharonville
- Southern Ohio Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 414, Hillsboro 45133
- Southwest Butler County Genealogy Society, P.O. Box 243, Hamilton 45012
- Southwest Cuyahoga Chapter – Ohio Genealogy Society, 13305 Pearl Road, Strongsville 44136-3403
- Southwest Cuyahoga Chapter Ohio Genealogy Society Ancestors Search, 9991 Magnolia Drive, Olmsted Falls 44138-2702
- Spencerville Historical Society, PO Box 8, Spencerville, OH 45887-0008; Phone: (419) 236-7913
- Stark County Chapter – Ogs, 7300 Woodcrest Ave Ne, North Canton 44721-1949
- Summit County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 2232, Akron 44309-2232
- Summit County Historical Society, 550 Copley Rd., Akron 44320
- Tippecanoe Historical Society, P.O. Box 42, Tipp City 45371
- Toledo Area Genealogical Society (Tags), P.O. Box 352258, Toledo 43635-2258
- Troy Historical Society, 301 West Main Street, Troy 45373
- Trumbull County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 309, Warren 44482-0309
- Tuscarawas County Genealogy Society, P.O. Box 141, New Philadelphia 44663-0141
- Union County Genealogical Society,
- Upper Sandusky Historical Society, 301 N. Sandusky Ave., Upper Sandusky 43351-1139
- Valley City Historical Society, 7060 Center Rd., Valley City 44280
- Van Wert County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 485, Van Wert 45891-0485
- Van Wert County Historical Society, 602 North Washington Street, Van Wert 45891
- Vinton County Historical And Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 306, Hamden 45634-0306
- Warren County Genealogical Society, 406 Justice Drive, Lebanon 45036
- Warren County Historical Society, P.O. Box 223, Lebanon 45036
- Washington County Historical Society, 346 Muskingum Dr., Marietta 45750
- Wayne County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 856, Wooster 44691
- Waynesville Historical Society, Waynesville 45068
- Wellington Genealogical Group, P.O. Box 265, Wellington 44090
- Western Reserve Historical Society, 10825 East Boulevard, Cleveland 44106
- Westerville Historical Society, P.O. Box 1063, Westerville 43086
- Westfield Historical Society, P.O. Box 158, Westfield Center 44251
- Williams County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 293, Bryan 43506
- Williams County Historical Society, 619 East Main, Montpelier 43543
- Wood County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 722, Bowling Green 43402-0722
- Wyandot Tracers Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 414, Upper Sandusky 43351
- York Township Historical Society, 2862 Abbeyville Rd, Medina 44256
Religious and Ethnic Societies
Ohio Newspapers & Publications
Ohio Genealogical publications (magazines, newsletters, periodicals, books, etc.) contain all types of invaluable information about specific ancestors, whole lineages and families, places in time, and about all sorts of genealogical records and repositories.
The Ohio Historical Society also has a manuscript division. The topics of available manuscripts include: Northwest Territory and early statehood, the Civil War, religion, African Americans, women, labor, politics, and mass communication.
Particularly notable are the Wilbur Siebert Collection, which includes American Loyalists and the Underground Railroad; land grants signed by George Washington and Thomas Jefferson; Henry O. Dwight’s watercolor drawings of the Civil War; and Ohio AFL-CIO records.
Another manuscript collection can be found at the Ohio Genealogical Society. These include Bible records and First Family of Ohio applications. These applications can be used to verify ancestry in Ohio for years before 1820. Finally, an additional collection is available through the Ohio Network Centers.
In 1793, publication of The Centinel of the North-Western Territory began. This Cincinnati-area based paper and a number of newspaper indexes can be found at the Ohio Historical Society, including the Chillicothe Gazette. The Chillicothe Gazette is the oldest paper in continuous publication west of the Alleghenies.
If you are just researching obituaries, clippings of these records are saved by many historical societies in each local area. German obituaries may be found in the record of 1,700 clippings preserved by the German Immigrant Society of Cincinnati.
Local papers for each area are usually saved by separate preservation projects in each area. You can also contact local historical or genealogical societies for guidance. The Ohio Historical society has a 1990 catalog publication for sales that lists its papers available on microfiche.
The society’s papers on microfilm can be accessed through inter-library loan. The society’s website provides bibliographic information.
- Ohio Newspapers Directory Listings (onlinenewspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from Ohio (1802 – 1970) (genealogybank.com) Rapidly find names and key phrases in over 450 million articles, obituaries, marriage announcements, birth notices as well as other items printed in over 2,800 historical U.S. newspapers. All new articles and other content added each month!
- Ohio Newspaper List (usnpl.com)
- MOLO Obituary Index (ohiofamilysearch.org) includes obituaries from newspapers
- Ohio Obituaries Index 1830s-present (index.rbhayes.org) An index to 2,100,000 obituaries, death & marriage notices & other sources from Ohio from the 1810s to the present day.
Genealogical journals provide you with plenty of sources of information and facts, they are generally overlooked by genealogy and family history researchers and genealogist in looking around for family history.
Many regional and county genealogical and/or historical societies produce periodicals which have records relating to the region or vicinity they operate.
Frequently these publications have articles involving records that are not obtainable somewhere else.
- Ohio History (aka Ohio Archaeological or Historical Quarterly and Ohio Historical Quarterly) – Ohio Historical Society since 1887.
- The Report – Ohio Genealogical Society
- Ohio Records and Pioneer Families – Ohio Genealogical Society
- Civil War Genealogy Journal – Ohio Genealogical Society
- Ohio Genealogical Periodical Index: A County Guide by Carol Willsey Bell. Subject index to publications of genealogical and historical societies.
- Ohio Books at Amazon.com (amazon.com)
- Ohio Historical Books (1749 – 1900) (genealogybank.com) rare and fully searchable old books, historical maps and documents give fresh insights into the daily lives of your early Ohio ancestors.
- Genealogy Publishing Company (genealogical.com)