Colorado Genealogical publications (magazines, newsletters, periodicals, books, etc.) consist of all sorts of useful information pertaining to individual ancestors, entire lineages and families, places in time, and about all kinds of genealogical records and repositories. They assist you to uncover a variety of information about your ancestors from many historical newspapers, magazines, and other periodicals. These types of sources can often bolster public records and supply information and facts that is not recorded someplace else. Here, you can learn more pertaining to your ancestor’s possible daily activities by placing them in the framework of their time.
On April 23, 1859, the Rocky Mountain News published its first issue. That was an important event because it signified major settlement in the area. The Denver Public Library, the University of Colorado’s Norlin Library, and the Colorado Historical Society all have extensive collections of Colorado newspapers.
Obituary files from the Rocky Mountain News and the Denver Post can be found at the Denver Public Library. They are located in the library’s Western History and Genealogy Collection. Some earlier records are also included. Library staff can search those records for researchers with no charge. The Colorado Historical Society’s newspaper collection is on microfilm. However, copies of that collection must be paid for.
Newspapers – Colorado newspapers can furnish all types of evidence about historical events, local history, court and legal notices, obituaries, and considerably more.
- Colorado Historical Newspapers
- Colorado Newspapers Directory Listings
- Historical Newspapers from Colorado (1859–1978) – Immediately locate names and key phrases in over 450 million content articles, obituaries, marriage announcements, birth announcements and other items published in over 2,800 historic U.S. newspapers. Unique articles and other content added each and every month!
- Donald E. Oehlerts, comp., Guide to Colorado Newspapers, 1859–1963 (Denver: Bibliographic Center for Research, 1964)
- Walter R. Griffin and Jay L. Rasmussen, “A Comprehensive Guide to the Location of Published and Unpublished Newspaper Indexes in Colorado Repositories,” The Colorado Magazine 72 (Fall 1972): 328–39.
- Colorado Newspaper List