Delaware Archives, Societies & Publications
It is a good idea to familiarize personally with just about any repository in Delaware that you simply might travel to by communicating with to the best suited archive or library in advance.
Most, if not all, Delaware repositories have written and published content that present its collections as well as research policy.
Delaware archives and historical organizations usually have On-line sites that provide equivalent details. Several also contain down loadable data for some or parts of their collections.
List of Delaware Archives
- Delaware State Archives, 121 Duke of York Street, Dover, DE 19901;(302) 744-5000
List of Delaware Libraries & Museums
List of Delaware Historical & Genealogical Societies
For almost every state there is a state genealogical society, a state genealogical council, or both.
In addition to their own work, Delaware groups many times help coordinate the efforts of local societies throughout the Delaware.
Their unique publications, newsletters and quarterlies, supplement those created through the area societies.
Regional and State Societies
- The Historical Society of Delaware, 505 Market Street, Wilmington, DE 19801; The Historical Society of Delaware has an extensive collection of early northern Delaware newspapers, but papers in the adjoining states of Maryland, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey should also be consulted. Southern Delaware newspapers are at the Delaware State Archives
- Delaware Genealogical Society, 505 Market Street Mall, Wilmington, DE 19801
County, Township and City Societies
- Bridgeville Historical Society, 102 Williams Street, Bridgeville, DE 19933; Phone:(302) 337-7600
- Claymont Historical Society, P.O. 184,1 Naamans Road, Claymont, DE 19703; Phone:(302) 792-0285
- Downstate Delaware Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1787, Dover, DE 19903-1787
- Ft. Delaware Society, P.O. Box 553, 33 Staff Lane, Delaware City, DE 19706; Phone:(302) 834-1630
- Georgetown Historical Society, 510 S Bedford Street, Georgetown, DE 19947-1852; 302-855-9660
- Greater Harrington Historical Society, 110 Fleming St, Harrington, DE 19952; 302-398-3698
- Lewes Historical Society, 110 Shipcarpenter Street, Lewes, DE 19958; Phone:(302) 645-7670
- Lower DelMarVa Genealogy Society, P.O. BOX 3602, Salisbury, DE 21802-3602
- Milford Historical Society, 501 Northwest Front Street, Milford, DE 19963; Phone Number:(302) 422-4222
- New Castle Historical Society, 2 East Fourth Street, New Castle, DE 19720; Phone: 302-322-2794
- Smyrna Heritage Association, 7 W South Street, Smyrna, DE 19977-1455
- Sussex County Genealogical Society, c/o Rehoboth Beach Public Library, 226 Rehoboth Avenue, Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971
- Winterthur Heritage Association, Route 52, Winterthur, DE 19735
Religious and Ethnic Societies
- Jewish Historical Society Of Delaware, 505 Market Street Mall, Wilmington, Delaware 19801; JHSD Archives: (302) 655-6232
Delaware Newspapers & Publications
Delaware Genealogical publications (magazines, newsletters, periodicals, books, etc.) contain all types of invaluable information about specific ancestors, whole lineages and families, places in time, and about all sorts of genealogical records and repositories. They assist you to identify a variety of details about your ancestors from many historical newspapers, magazines, and other periodicals. These different types of resources may often supplement public records and give information that is not recorded someplace else. Here, you can discover much more regarding your ancestor’s possible every day activities by placing them in the framework of their time.
The Union List of Newspapers in Microform features a list of newspapers in Delaware. Many early Delaware newspapers are housed at the Historical Society of Delaware, but New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Maryland also have a lot of early Delaware newspaper information.
Delaware newspapers can offer all kinds of evidence about historical events, local history, court and legal notices, obituaries, and a lot more.
- Delaware Newspapers Directory Listings (onlinenewspapers.com)
- Historical Newspapers from Delaware (1785–1900) (genealogybank.com) Immediately locate names and keywords and phrases in over 450 million content articles, obituaries, marriage notices, birth notices along with other items written and published in over 2,800 historic U.S. newspapers. New content added every month!
- Delaware Newspaper List (usnpl.com)
Genealogical journals provide you with plenty of sources of information and facts, they are generally overlooked by genealogy and family history researchers and genealogist in looking around for family history.
Many regional and county genealogical and/or historical societies produce periodicals which have records relating to the region or vicinity they operate.
Frequently these publications have articles involving records that are not obtainable somewhere else.
- Delaware History has been published by the Historical Society of Delaware semi-annually since 1946; volumes 1–7 were reprinted in 1968 by Kraus Reprint of Millwood, N.Y. The society has also published papers in sixty-seven volumes from 1879 to 1922 and in three volumes in a new series from 1927 to 1940.
- The Delaware Genealogical Society Journal has published, since 1980, the usual fare of source record material, including Bible records, births of blacks, orphans’ court indexes (for Sussex County), and Maryland records. For The Maryland and Delaware Genealogist.
- Two short-lived periodicals with useful source record material are Delaware Historical and Genealogical Recall (1933; reprint, Wilmington, Del.: Delaware Genealogical Society, 1984) and Del-Gen-Data Bank, edited by Mary Fallon Richards (Wilmington, Del.: the editor, 1986).
- Delaware Books at Amazon.com (amazon.com)
- Delaware Historical Books (1749 – 1900) (genealogybank.com) rare and fully searchable old books, historical maps and documents give fresh insights into the daily lives of your early Delaware ancestors.
- Genealogy Publishing Company (genealogical.com)