Maryland Archives, Societies & Publications
It is a good idea to familiarize personally with just about any repository in Maryland that you simply might travel to by communicating with to the best suited archive or library in advance.
Most, if not all, Maryland repositories have written and published content that present its collections as well as research policy.
Maryland archives and historical organizations usually have On-line sites that provide equivalent details. Several also contain down loadable data for some or parts of their collections.
List of Maryland Archives
- Maryland State Archives , 350 Rowe Boulevard, Annapolis, MD 21401; 410-260-6400
The Maryland State Archives is the historical agency for Maryland and serves as the central depository for government records of permanent value. Records date from the founding of the colony in 1634 to the 1990s. Included in the Archives’ holdings are colonial and state executive, legislative, and judicial records; county probate, land and court records; church records; business records; publications and reports of state, county and municipal governments; and special collections of private papers, maps, photographs, and newspapers. The Archives’ search room is open to the public Wednesday through Saturday. There, professional archivists are on duty to assist researchers.
- Maryland Archives, 1658-1783
- Baltimore City Archives, 2615 Mathews Street, Baltimore, MD 21218, Telephone 410-396-3884
- Montgomery County Archives, Red Brick Courthouse, 29 Courthouse Square, Rm. G09, Rockville, Md. 20850; Phone (240) 279-1218
List of Maryland Libraries & Museums
- Maryland State Law Library, 361 Rowe Avenue, Annapolis, MD 21401
- Calvert Library (Main Branch), 30 Duke Street, Prince Frederick, MD 20678; (410) 535-0291 or (301) 855-1862
- George Peabody Library of Johns Hopkins University, 17 East Mount Vernon Place, Baltimore, MD 21202
- Western Maryland Historical Regional Library, 101 Tandy Drive, Hagerstown, Maryland 21740 – Historical documents and photographs from the libraries and historical societies of Allegany, Garrett and Washington Counties, Maryland
- Sandy Spring Slave Museum,18524 Brooke Road, Sandy Spring, MD 20860
List of Maryland Historical & Genealogical Societies
For almost every state there is a state genealogical society, a state genealogical council, or both.
In addition to their own work, Maryland groups many times help coordinate the efforts of local societies throughout the Maryland.
Their unique publications, newsletters and quarterlies, supplement those created through the area societies.
Regional and State Societies
- Maryland Genealogical Society, 201 W. Monument Street, Baltimore, MD 21201-4674; Publishes the Maryland Genealogical Society Bulletin Quarterly.
- The Maryland Historical Society, 201 W. Monument Street, Baltimore MD 21201-4674 ; Has published a quarterly magazine Maryland Historical Magazinefor over 90 years
- Maryland Historical Society, 201 West Monument Street, Baltimore 21201-4674
- Maryland Historical Trust, 100 Community Place, Crownsville 21032-2022
- Society of Colonial Wars in the State of Maryland
County, Township and City Societies
- Allegany County Historical Society, History House, 218 Washington St., Cumberland, MD 21502 – 2827, (301) 777-8678
- Genealogical Society of Allegany County, Allegany College of Maryland Library, 12401 Willowbrook Road, SE, Cumberland, MD 21502-2596
- Anne Arundel Historical Society, P. O. Box 385, 7101 Aviation Blvd. (NE corner, BWI Airport), Linthicum, MD 21090 – 0385, (410) 768-9518
- Anne Arundel County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 221, Pasadena, MD 21122; (410) 760-9679
- Baltimore County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 10085, Towson, MD 21204; (410) 256-4028
- Baltimore County Historical Society, 9811 Van Buren Lane, Cockeysville, MD 21030 – 5022, (410) 666-1878
- Brunswick Historical Society, 40 W Potomac St, Brunswick 21716-1111
- Calvert County Historical Society, P. O. Box 358, 70 Church St., Prince Frederick, MD 20678 – 0358, (410) 535-2452
- Calvert County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 9, Sunderland, MD 20689; (410) 535-0839
- Caroline County, Historical Society, 16 North Second St., Denton, MD 21629, (410) 479-2055
- Caroline County Genealogical Society, % Miss. Dora W. Mitchell, Preston, MD 21655
- Carroll County Historical Society, 210 East Main St., Westminster, MD 21157 – 5225, (410) 848-6494
- Carroll County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1752, Westminster 21158
- Catonsville Historical And Genealogical Section, P.O. Box 9311, Catonsville 21228
- Cecil County Historical Society, 135 East Main St., Elkton, MD 21921, (410) 398-1790
- Cecil County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 11, Charlestown, MD 21914; (410) 287-8793
- Charles County Historical Society, P. O. Box 2806, La Plata, MD 20646, (301) 934-2564
- Dorchester County Historical Society, 902 LaGrange Ave., Cambridge, MD 21613 – 2009, (410) 228-7953
- Dundalk Patapsco Neck Historical Society, P.O. Box 9235, 4 North Center Place, Dundalk, MD 21222; (410) 284-2331
- Emmitsburg Historical Society, 15339 Sixes Bridge Road, Emmitsburg, Md., 21727; 301-471-3306
- Historical Society of Frederick County, Inc., 24 East Church St., Frederick, MD 21701, (301) 663-1188
- Frederick County Genealogical Society , P.O. Box 412, Frederick, MD 21770
- Garrett County Historical Society, 107 South Second St., Oakland, MD 21550, (301) 324-3226
- Genealogical Club Of The Montgomery County Historical Socierty, 103 West Montgomery Avenue, Rockville 20850
- Historical Society of Harford County, Inc., P. O. Box 366, 143 North Main St., Bel Air, MD 21014 – 0366, (410) 838-7691
- Harford County Genealogical Society, 143 North Main Street, Bel Air, MD 21014
- Heritage Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 113, Lineboro Cpo 21088-0113
- Howard County Historical Society, P. O. Box 109, 8324 – 8328 Court Ave., Ellicott City, MD 21041 – 0109, (410) 461-1050 (museum); 410-480-3250 (library)
- Howard County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 274, Columbia, MD 21045; (410) 465-6696
- Jewish Genealogical Society Of Maryland, 11 Slade Avenue, Pasadena 21122
- Jewish Historical Society Of Maryland, 15 Lloyd Street, Baltimore 21202
- Historical Society of Kent County, Inc., P. O. Box 665, Geddes Piper House, 101 Church Alley, Chestertown, MD 21620 – 0665, (410) 778-3499
- Laurel Heritage Association, 817 Main St, Laurel 20707-3429
- Lower Delmarva Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 3602, Salisbury 21801
- Mid-atlantic Germanic Society, 347 Scott Drive, Silver Spring 20904
- Middletown Valley Historical Society, RR 3, Box 187, Middletown 21769
- Montgomery County Historical Society, 103 West Montgomery Avenue (Beall-Dawson House), Rockville, MD 20850; (240) 340-2974; (301) 762-1492
- Old Bohemia Historical Society, Warwick 21912
- Oxford Historical Society, 100 N Morris St, Oxford 21654-1307
- Port Deposit Heriage Ctr, 98 N Main St, Port Deposit 21904-1210
- Prince George’s Historical Society, 5626 Bell Station Road, Glenn Dale, MD 20769 – 9120, (301) 464-0590
- Prince George’s County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 819, Bowie, MD 20718-0819; 301-262-2063.
- Queen Anne’s County Historical Society, 124 S. Commerce Street, P. O. Box 62, Centreville, Maryland 21617; Telephone: 410-758-3010
- Sandy Spring Heritage Grp, 2707 Olney Sandy Spring Rd, Sandy Spring 20860
- Silver Spring Historical Society, P.O. Box 1160, Silver Spring, MD 20910-4504
- Somerset County Historical Society, P. O. Box 181, Princess Anne, MD 21853, (410) 651-2238
- Somerset County Genealogical Society, Treackle Mansion, Princess Anne, MD 21853
- Somerset County Historical Trust, 10380 Anderson Road, Princess Anne, MD 21853; (401) 651-0788
- St. Clement’s Island Heritage Group, 38370 Freeze Rd, Coltons Point 20626
- St. Mary’s County Historical Society, P. O. Box 212, 41625 Court House Drive, Leonardtown, MD 20657 – 0212, (301) 475-2467
- Saint Mary’s County Genealogical Society, Inc., P.O. Box 1109 , Leonardtown, MD 20650-1109
- Talbot County Historical Society, 25 South Washington St., Easton, MD 21601 – 3014, (410) 822-0773
- Upper Shore Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 275, Easton 21601; Kent, Queen Anne’s, Talbot, Caroline and Dorchester Counties
- Washington County Genealogical Society, RR 1, Box 77-A, Keedysville 21756
- Washington County Historical Society, P. O. Box 1281, Miller House, 135 West Washington St., Hagerstown, MD 21741 – 1281, (301) 797-8782
- Wicomico Historical Society, P. O. Box 573, Pemberton Drive, Salisbury, MD 21803 – 0573, (410) 860-0447
- Wicomico County Historical Trust, 517 Parker Road , Salisbury, MD 21801; (301) 742-7733
- Worcester County Historical Society , 3 East Second Street, Pocomoke City, MD 21851
Religious and Ethnic Societies
Maryland Newspapers & Publications
Maryland Genealogical publications (magazines, newsletters, periodicals, books, etc.) contain all types of invaluable information about specific ancestors, whole lineages and families, places in time, and about all sorts of genealogical records and repositories.
Newspapers in Maryland Libraries is a publication detailing Maryland newspapers. Many newspapers can also be found at the Maryland State Archives, which also holds abstracts and guides to those newspapers.
Many local newspapers, particularly for Baltimore, have also been abstracted and published.
The first newspaper to be published in Maryland was the Maryland Gazette. It included articles relating to Maryland, but also to Virginia, Delaware, and Pennsylvania.
News, especially death and marriage records, from various Maryland newspapers has also been published for the following counties: Allegany, Caroline, Carroll, Cecil, Frederick, Harford, Montgomery, Washington
- Maryland Historical Newspapers
- Maryland Newspapers Directory Listings
- Historical Newspapers from Maryland (1719 – 1931) – Immediately uncover names and keywords / phrases in over 450 million content articles, obituaries, marriage announcements, birth announcements and also other items published in over 2,800 historic U.S. newspapers. Completely new content and articles added on a monthly basis!
- Maryland and South Carolina Lutheran Newspapers, Marriages and Deaths
- Marriages and Deaths from the Maryland Gazette, 1727-1839
- Index to Marriages and Deaths in the Baltimore Sun 1851-1860
- Maryland Newspaper List (usnpl.com)
- Newspapers of Maryland: A Guide to the Microfilm Collection of Newspapers in the Maryland State Archives (Annapolis, Md.: Maryland State Archives, 1990).
- Marriages and Deaths from Baltimore Newspapers, 1796–1816 (Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1973, 1978)
- Marriages and Deaths from the Maryland Gazette, 1727–1839 (Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1973, 1978)
- Gleanings From Maryland Newspapers, 1727–95, 4 vols. (Lutherville, Md.: Bettie Carothers, 1975–76)
- Index to Marriages and Deaths in The (Baltimore) Sun, 1837–1850 and 1851–1860 (Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978)
- Western Maryland Newspaper Abstracts 1786 … 1810, 3 vols.
- Maryland Eastern Shore Newspaper Abstracts … (1790–1834), 8 vols. (Silver Spring: Family Line Publications, 1981–87)
- The Maryland Gazette, 1727–1761: Genealogical and Historical Abstracts (Galveston, Texas: Frontier Press, 1990)
Genealogical journals provide you with plenty of sources of information and facts, they are generally overlooked by genealogy and family history researchers and genealogist in looking around for family history.
Many regional and county genealogical and/or historical societies produce periodicals which have records relating to the region or vicinity they operate.
Frequently these publications have articles involving records that are not obtainable somewhere else.
- The Maryland Historical and Genealogical Bulletin – was published privately in twenty-one volumes from 1930 to 1950. The Maryland Genealogical Society Bulletin has been published by the Maryland Genealogical Society since 1960 and has included the usual fare of genealogical records, including marriage licenses, cemetery and Bible records, wills, militia lists, naturalizations, railroad employees, slave lists, and vital records, as well as compiled genealogies.
- Maryland Historical Magazine – has been published by the Maryland Historical Society since 1906 and has included much historical and genealogical material. Like many other historical magazines, the Maryland Historical Magazine stopped publishing genealogical material for some years.
The Maryland and Delaware Genealogist was introduced in 1959 by Raymond B. Clark, Jr., and his mother, Sara Seth Clark, who published the standard abstracts of records and genealogies.
- The Maryland Original Research Society of Baltimore Bulletin – was published in Baltimore from 1906 to 1913 and included lists of early settlers, genealogies, cemetery and family Bible records, militia lists, oaths of fidelity, and so forth
- Western Maryland Genealogy, 709 East Main Street, Middletown, MD 2176