Idaho Archives, Societies & Publications
It is a good idea to familiarize personally with just about any repository in Idaho that you simply might travel to by communicating with to the best suited archive or library in advance.
Most, if not all, Idaho repositories have written and published content that present its collections as well as research policy.
Idaho archives and historical organizations usually have On-line sites that provide equivalent details. Several also contain down loadable data for some or parts of their collections.
List of Idaho Archives
- The National Archives – Pacific Alaska Region – 6125 Sand Point Way NE, Seattle, Washington 98115-7999; (Archival Research Room, Microfilm Research Room, Records Center Research Room)
- Idaho State Digital Archives Home
List of Idaho Libraries & Museums
- Idaho State Library, 325 W. State St., Boise, ID 83702
- Idaho Library Directory is an extensive website to the libraries in the state. This includes current information on public, academic, and private libraries and links to these library websites.
- Brigham Young University–Idaho, MacKay Library, 525 S. Center St., Rexburg, ID 83460
List of Idaho Historical & Genealogical Societies
For almost every state there is a state genealogical society, a state genealogical council, or both.
In addition to their own work, Idaho groups many times help coordinate the efforts of local societies throughout the Idaho.
Their unique publications, newsletters and quarterlies, supplement those created through the area societies.
Regional and State Societies
- Idaho State Historical Society, Idaho State Archives Research Center, 2205 Old Penitentiary Road, Boise, ID 83712
- Idaho Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1854, Boise, ID 83701-1854
- Friends of the Idaho Genealogy Library, Idaho Genealogy Library, 459 N. 4th St., Boise, ID 83702
County, Township and City Societies
- Adams County Historical Society, 101 South Commercial Ave., New Meadows, Idaho 83654
- Bannock County Historical Society / Museum, 3000 Avenue of the Chiefs, Alvord Loop, Pocatello, ID 83204; Telephone: (208) 233-0434
- Bingham County Historical Society, 3 NW Main Street, Blackfoot, Idaho 83221; Office: (208) 785-9906
- Blaine County Historical Society / Museum, 213 North Main Street, Hailey, ID 83333 ; (208) 788-1801
- Bonner County Genealogical Society, PO Box 221, Kootenai, Idaho 83840
- Bonner County Historical Society & Museum, 611 South Ella Avenue, Sandpoint, Idaho 83864; (208) 263-2344
- Bonneville County Historical Society, P.O. Box 1784, 200 N Eastern Avenue, Idaho Falls, ID 83402-4029
- Bonneville County Heritage Association
- Boundary County Historical Society / Museum, 7229 Main, P.O. Box 808, Bonners Ferry, ID 83805; (208) 267-7720
- Caldwell Genealogical Group, 3504 South Illinois, Caldwell ID 83605
- Camas County Historical Society, General Delivery Fairfield, ID 83327
- Canyon County Historical Society, P.O. Box 595, 1200 Front St Nampa, ID 83651; (208) 467-7611
- Caribou County Historical Society, 450 N 730 E, Soda Springs, ID 83276-1326; Phone: (208) 547-4722
- Cassia County Historical Society / Museum, PO Box 331, E Main & Highland Ave, Burley 83318
- Clearwater County Historical Society / Museum, P.O. Box 1454, 315 College Ave, Orofino, ID 83544; Phone:(208) 476-5033
- Eagle Rock Railroad Historical Society, Inc., P.O. Box 2685, Idaho Falls, ID 83403-2685
- Elmore County Historical Foundation, P.O. Box 204, 180 South 3rd East, Mountain Home, ID 83647
- Fremont County Historical Society, St. Anthony ID 83445
- Glenns Ferry Historical Society / Museum, 211 W Cleveland Ave, Glenns Ferry ID 83623
- Gooding County Historical Society, P.O. Box 580, 273 Euskadi Lane, Gooding, Idaho 83330
- Hagerman Valley Historical Society / Museum , P.O. Box 86, 100 S State, Hagerman ID 83332; Phone: 208-837-6288
- Idaho City Historical Society, 402 Montgomery St., Idaho City, ID 83631-4176
- Idaho County Chapter (Igs), 215 West North, Grangeville ID 83530
- Jefferson County Historical Society, 118 W 1st S, Rigby, ID 83442; (208) 745-8423
- Jerome County Historical Society, P.O. Box 50, 220 N Lincoln Ave, Jerome 83338-2325; Phone: 208-324-5641
- Kamiah Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 322, Kamiah ID 83536
- Ketchum-Sun Valley Historical Society, 180 1st Ave E, Ketchum, ID 83340; Phone:(208) 726-8118
- Kootenai County Genealogical Society, 8385 North Government Way, Hayden ID 83835
- Latah County Historical Society, 327 East Second Street, Moscow, Idaho 83843; telephone number is 208-882-1004
- Lemhi County Historical Society / Museum, 210 Main St., Salmon 83467-4111; (208) 756-3342
- Lewis County Historical Society, Po Box 373, Kamiah, ID 83536
- Lincoln County Historical Society, 102 South Rail Street East, Shoshone, Idaho 83352; (208) 886-7787
- Magic Valley Chapter (Igs), Route 2, 770 South River Drive, Heyburn ID 83336
- Minidoka County Historical Society, 99 East Baseline, Rupert ID 83350; Phone: (208)436-0336
- Nez Perce County Historical Society (Luna House), 0306 Third Street, Lewiston 83501; Phone: (208) 743-2535
- Nez Perce Historical Society, P.O. Box 86, Nez Perce ID 83542
- Old Ft. Boise Historical Society, Parma Rd And Hwy 95, Parma, ID, 83660; (208) 722-5115
- Owyhee County Historical Society, 17085 Basey St, PO Box 67, Murphy, ID 83650; PH (208) 495-2319
- Payette County Historical Society / Museum, P.O. Box 476, 90 S. 9th Street, Payette 83661; call: (208)642-4883
- Pocatello Branch Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 4272, 156 South 6th Avenue, Pocatello ID 83201
- Shoshone County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 183, Kellogg ID 83837
- Snake River Heritage Center, 2295 Paddock Ave, Weiser, ID 83672; Phone:(208) 549-0205
- South Bannock County Historical Society, 110 E Main, Lava Hot Springs, Idaho 83246
- South Custer County Historical Society, P.O. Box 355, Mackay ID 83251
- Spirit Lake Historical Society, P.O. Box 1186, 6042 W Maine St, Spirit Lake, ID 83869; 208-623-2110
- Stanley Heritage Association, Highway 75, Stanley ID 83278
- Treasure Valley Chapter (IGS), 325 West State Street, Boise ID 83702
- Twin Rivers Genealogy Society, P.O. Box 386, Lewiston, ID 83501
- Upper Snake River Valley Historical Society, 51 N Center St, Rexburg, ID 83440-1539; Phone (208) 356-9101
- Valley County Genealogical Society, P. O. Box 10, 105 N. Front Street, Cascade, Idaho 83611; Phone: (208) 382-4757
- Valley County Historical Society, 13131 Farm to Market Rd, Donnelly, ID 83615; Phone:(208) 325-8628
- Wood River Historical Society, P.O. Box 552, Ketchum ID 83340
Religious and Ethnic Societies
Idaho Newspapers & Publications
Idaho Genealogical publications (magazines, newsletters, periodicals, books, etc.) contain all types of invaluable information about specific ancestors, whole lineages and families, places in time, and about all sorts of genealogical records and repositories.
All extant newspapers for the state of Idaho have been placed on microfilm and can be found at the Idaho State Historical Society. An inventory of all of those holdings can be found on the Idaho State Historical Society’s website. The inventory is organized according to city, title, county, and date. The inter-library loan program assures that most of the collection is available to researchers.
- Idaho Newspapers Directory Listings
- Historical Newspapers from Idaho (1864–1922) – Rapidly identify names and key phrases in over 450 million articles, obituaries, marriage announcements, birth notices as well as other items written in over 2,800 old U.S. newspapers. New content added on a monthly basis!
- Idaho Newspaper List
Genealogical journals provide you with plenty of sources of information and facts, they are generally overlooked by genealogy and family history researchers and genealogist in looking around for family history.
Many regional and county genealogical and/or historical societies produce periodicals which have records relating to the region or vicinity they operate.
Frequently these publications have articles involving records that are not obtainable somewhere else.
- Snake River Echoes – The Snake River Echoes began as a quarterly in 1971 under the name of The Upper Snake River Valley Historical Society Quarterly.
- daho Books at Amazon.com
- Idaho Historical Books (1749 – 1900) – rare and fully searchable old books, historical maps and documents give fresh insights into the daily lives of your early Idaho ancestors.
- Genealogy Publishing Company