Louisiana Archives, Societies & Publications
It is a good idea to familiarize personally with just about any repository in Louisiana that you simply might travel to by communicating with to the best suited archive or library in advance.
Most, if not all, Louisiana repositories have written and published content that present its collections as well as research policy.
Louisiana archives and historical organizations usually have On-line sites that provide equivalent details. Several also contain down loadable data for some or parts of their collections.
List of Louisiana Archives
- State of Louisiana Division of Archives, Records Management, and History, 3851 Essen Lane, P.O. Box 94125, Baton Rouge, LA 70804; (504) 922-1200
- Louisiana Archives and Manuscripts Association , PO Box 51213, New Orleans, LA 70151
- National Archives Southwest Region in Fort Worth, Texas
- Morgan City Archives, 220 Everett Street, Morgan City, LA 70380
- St. Tammany Parish Archives Department, Justice Center, Basement Level, 701 N. Columbia Street, Covington, Louisiana
- Inventory of the municipal archives of Louisiana.
List of Louisiana Libraries & Museums
- Baker Heritage Museum, 1606 Main St, PO Box 707, Baker, LA 70704; 225-774-1776
- Louisiana Political Museum, 499 E. Main Street, Winnfield, LA 71483; (318) 628-5928
- State Library of Louisiana, 701 North 4th Str, Baton Rouge, LA 70802; (225) 342-4923, Fax: (225) 219-4804
List of Louisiana Historical & Genealogical Societies
For almost every state there is a state genealogical society, a state genealogical council, or both.
In addition to their own work, Louisiana groups many times help coordinate the efforts of local societies throughout the Louisiana.
Their unique publications, newsletters and quarterlies, supplement those created through the area societies.
Regional and State Societies
- Louisiana Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 82060, Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70884-2060-60
- Central Louisiana Genealogical Society ,P. O. Box 12206; Alexandria, LA 71315-2206
- Louisiana Historical Society, 5801 St. Charles Ave, New Orleans, Louisiana 70115; 504/866-3049
- Louisiana Society of Daughters of the American Revolution
- Louisiana Society of Sons of the American Revolution,
- North Louisiana Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 324, Ruston 71270-0324
- North Louisiana Historical Association, P.O. Box 6701, Shreveport 71106-6701
- Southwest Louisiana Genealogical Society, PO Box 5652, Lake Charles, LA 70606-5652
- Northeast Louisiana Genealogical and Historical Society, Ouachita Parish Public Library, 1800 Stubbs Ave., Monroe, LA
Parish, Township and City Societies
- Ark-La-Tex Genealogical Association, P.O. Box 4463, Shreveport, Louisiana 71134-0463
- Allen Genealogical & Historical Society, P.O. Box 789, Kinder, LA70648-0789
- Amite Genealogical Club, P.O. Box 578, Amite 70422
- Ascension Heritage Association, P.O. Box 1085, Donaldsonville 70346-1085
- Attakapas Historical Association, P.O. Box 43010 Usl, Lafayette 70504-3010
- Baton Rouge Genealogical & Historical Society, P.O. Box 80565, Baton Rouge 70809-0565
- Bienville Historical Society, Rt 1, Box 9, Bienville 71008-9653
- Brimstone Museum and Historical Society, 800 Picard Rd, Sulphur LA 70663-4362
- Calcasieu Historical Preservation Society, P.O. Box 1214, 1635 Hodges St., Lake Charles 70601-6016
- Commission Des Avoyelles, P.O. Box 28, Hamburg 71339-0028
- Desoto Historical Society, P. O. Box 300, Stonewall, LA 71078-0300
- East Ascension Genealogical And Historical Society, P.O. Box 1006, Gonzales 70707-1006
- Edward Livingston Historical Association, P.O. Box 67, Livingston, LA 70754-0067
- Evangeline Genealogical & Historical Society, P. O. Box 664, Ville Platte, Louisiana 70586
- Foundation For Historical Louisiana, 900 North Blvd, Baton Rouge 70802-5728
- Francaise Comite Louisiana, 2717 Massachusetts, Metairie, LA 70003-5213
- French Settlement Historical Society, General Delivery, French Settlement, LA 70733-9999
- Friends Of Genealogy, P.O. Box 17835, Shreveport, LA 71138-0835
- Genealogical Research Society Of New Orleans, P.O. Box 51791, New Orleans 70151
- Genealogy West, 5644 Abbey Dr., New Orleans 70130-3808
- German and Acadian Coast Historical and Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 3086, LaPlace, Louisiana 70069-3086
- Germantown Commission Association, P.O. Box 389, Minden 71055-0389
- Grant Genealogical Society, 300 Main St., Colfax, LA 71417-1830
- Gretna Historical Society, 209 Lafayette Street, Gretna, LA 70053; 504-362-3854
- Iberia Cultural Resources, 924 East Main St., New Iberia 70560-3866
- Imperial St. Landry Genealogical & Historical Society, P.O. Box 108, Opelousas 70571-0108
- Jackson Assembly Of The Felicianas, P.O. Box 494, Jackson 70748-0494
- Jefferson Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 961, Metairie 70004-0961
- Jefferson Historical Society, 4014 Connecticut Ave., Kenner LA 70065
- Jefferson Parish Historical Commission, PO Box 18845, Metairie, Louisiana 70011-3014
- Jennings Genealogical Society, 136 Greenwood Dr., Jennings, Louisiana 70546-4302
- Jewish Genealogical Society Of New Orleans, P.O. Box 7811, Metairie, Louisiana 70010-7811
- La Societie Des Cajuns, P.O. Box 581, Golden Meadow, Louisiana 70357-0581
- Lafayette Genealogical Society, 1021 Rosedown Lane, Lafayette, Louisiana 70532-5832
- Lafourche Heritage Society, P.O. Box 567, Thibodaux 70393-0567
- Lake Providence Historical Society, 1002 South Lake St., Lake Providence, Louisiana 71254-2428
- Le Circle Historique, 734 Main St., New Roads, Louisiana 70760-3522
- Le Comite Des Archives, P.O. Box 44370, Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70804-4730
- Los Islenos De Galvez Heritage And Cultural Society, 7437 Meadowbrook Ave, Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70810-2014
- Louisiana Czech Heritage Association, 14 Locker Road, Deville, Louisiana 71328-9318
- Madison Parish Historical Society, 100 South Chestnut St., Tallulah 71282-4202
- Madisonville Heritage Ctr, Madisonville 70447
- Mt. Lebon Historical Society, 517 Gibsland LA 71028; (318) 843-1998
- Multicutural Genealogical Society, 4310 St. Anthony Ave., New Orleans 70122-3104
- Natchitoches Genealogist, P.O. Box 1349, Natchitoches 71458-1349
- Ouachita Genealogical Society, 221 Riverbend, West Monroe 71292-3627
- Pointe Coupee Historical Society, 500 W Main St, New Roads 70760-3518
- POINTE DE L’EGLISE Genealogical & Historical Society, P.O. Box 160, Church Point, LA 70525
- Rayne Historical Assn, 110 W South 1st St, Rayne 70578-5844
- Red River Heritage, 1825 Ringgold Ave, Coushatta, LA 71019; 318-932-8351
- River Road Historical Society, 13034 River Road Destrehan, LA 70047; (985) 764-9345
- St. Bernard Genealogical Society, 107 Rickford Drive, Slidell LA 70458-1328; 504-554-1716
- St. Helena Historical Society, Rt. 1, Box 131, Amite, LA 70422-9415; 707 967 5502
- St. Mary Genealogical & Historical Society, P.O. Box 662, Morgan City 70381-0662
- St. Tammany Genealogical Society, 310 West 21st. Ave., Covington 70433-3154
- St. Tammany Historical Society, P.O. Box 1001, Mandeville 70470-1001
- Starks Historical Society, 664 Old River Road, Starks, Louisiana 70661
- Tangipahoa Parish Historical Society, 77139 N. River Road, Kentwood 70444-3841
- Terrebonne Genealogical Society, P. O. Box 20295, Houma, LA 70360-0295
- Vermillion Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 117, Abbeville 70511-0117
- Vermilion Historical Society, P. O. Box 877, Abbeville, LA 70511-0877; 337-898-4114
- Vernon Historical & Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 275, 1401 Nolan Trace, Leesville, LA 71446
- Westwego Historical Society and Museum, 502 Second St., Westwego LA 70094; P: 504.341.2544
- West Baton Rouge Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1126, Port Allen 70767-1126
- West Baton Rouge Museum and Historical Society, 845 North Jefferson Ave., Port Allen 70767-2417
- Westbank Genealogical Society, 2751 Manhattan Blvd., Harvey, LA 70058-6144
- Winn Parish Genealogical & Historical Association, P.O. Box 652, Winnfield 71483-0652
Religious and Ethnic Societies
Louisiana Newspapers & Publications
Louisiana Genealogical publications (magazines, newsletters, periodicals, books, etc.) contain all types of invaluable information about specific ancestors, whole lineages and families, places in time, and about all sorts of genealogical records and repositories.
Most of the university and college libraries, as well as state archives and libraries, have large manuscript collections on file. Many of them can supply lists of their specific holdings.
Le Moniteur, which is thought to be the earliest newspaper published in Louisiana, originated in New Orleans. Very few issues of it are still extant today.
The Louisiana Newspaper Project, started by Louisiana State University, was responsible for cataloging and microfilming newspaper issues from across the state. The Hill and Middleton Memorial libraries at LSU and other libraries throughout the area have copies of those microfilmed records, and many are available through inter-library loan programs.
- Louisiana Newspapers Directory Listings
- McMullan, Theodore N. Louisiana Newspapers, 1794–1961. Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Library, 1965.
- Historical Newspapers from Louisiana (1805 – 1985) (genealogybank.com) Quickly discover names and keywords / phrases in over 450 million publications, obituaries, marriage notices, birth notices and other items printed in over 2,800 old U.S. newspapers. Brand new content and articles added monthly!
- Louisiana Newspaper List
Genealogical journals provide you with plenty of sources of information and facts, they are generally overlooked by genealogy and family history researchers and genealogist in looking around for family history.
Many regional and county genealogical and/or historical societies produce periodicals which have records relating to the region or vicinity they operate.
Frequently these publications have articles involving records that are not obtainable somewhere else.
- The Louisiana Genealogical Register – compiled and published by the state genealogical society
- The New Orleans Genesis – the official publication of the Genealogical Research Society of New Orleans
- Natchitoches Genealogist –
- Louisiana Books at Amazon.com
- Louisiana Historical Books (1749 – 1900) rare and fully searchable old books, historical maps and documents give fresh insights into the daily lives of your early Louisiana ancestors.
- Genealogy Publishing Company
- Louisiana Genealogy Books
- Southern Historical Press Louisiana Books