Washington Archives, Societies & Publications
It is a good idea to familiarize personally with just about any repository in Washington that you simply might travel to by communicating with to the best suited archive or library in advance.
Most, if not all, Washington repositories have written and published content that present its collections as well as research policy.
Washington archives and historical organizations usually have On-line sites that provide equivalent details. Several also contain down loadable data for some or parts of their collections.
List of Washington Archives
- Washington State Archives – Digital Archives
- Washington State Archives, 520 Union Ave. SE, P.O. Box 40220, Olympia, WA 98504-0220; The central repository receives and catalogs materials for the entire state, and publishes a number of guides to its various collections, the titles of which can be found on its website. Records of a local government nature are collected and preserved in the five regional branch archives, each serving several counties as follows:
- Pacific Alaska Region – Seattle, The National Archives, 6125 Sand Point Way NE, Seattle, WA 98115-7999; Phone 206-336-5115
- Eastern Regional Branch—Washington State Archives, Eastern Washington University, 211 Tawanka, Cheney, WA 99004; Covers Adams, Asotin, Columbia, Ferry, Garfield, Lincoln, Oreille Pend, Spokane, Stevens, Walla Walla, and Whitman.
- Central Regional Branch—Washington State Archives, Central Washington University, MS-7547, Ellensburg, WA 98926-7547; Covers Benton, Chelan, Douglas, Franklin, Grant, Kittitas, Klickitat, Okanogan, and Yakima.
- Puget Sound Regional Branch—Washington State Archives, Pritchard-Fleming Bldg., 3000 Landerholm Circle SE, MS-N100, Bellevue, WA 98007-6484; Covers King, Kitsap, and Pierce.
- Northwest Regional Branch—Washington State Archives, Western Washington University, MS-9123, Bellingham, WA 98225-9123; Covers Clallam, Island, Jefferson, San Juan, Skagit, Snohomish, and Whatcom.
- Southwest Regional Branch—Washington State Archives, 1129 Washington St. SE, P.O. Box 40238, Olympia, WA 98504-0238; Covers Clark, Cowlitz, Grays Harbor, Lewis, Mason, Pacific, Skamania, Thurston, and Wahkiakum.
- Washington State DIGITAL ARCHIVES It has the following collections to search;
- Agreements and Contracts
- Audio Recordings
- Birth Records
- Cemetery Directories
- Census Records
- Court Cases
- Corporations Records
- Death Records
- E-Publication Records
- Frontier Justice
- Indian Census Records
- Institution Records
- Land Records
- Map Records
- Marriage Records
- Military Records
- Minute Records
- Misc Auditor Records
- Misc Family History
- Naturalization Records
- Oaths of Office Records
- Ordinance Records
- Plats and Surveys
- Power of Attorney Records
- Professional License Records
- Real Property Record Cards
- Resolution Records
- Uniform Commercial Code Recordings
- Washington State Library, Point Plaza East, 6880 Capitol Blvd., Tumwater, WA 98501; Mailing Address: P.O. Box 42460l, Olympia, WA 98504-2460
- The National Archives – Pacific Alaska Region – 6125 Sand Point Way NE, Seattle, Washington 98115-7999; (Archival Research Room, Microfilm Research Room, Records Center Research Room)
- Clark County Archives – Record Division,1300 Franklin Street, Suite 650, Vancouver, WA 98660
- King County Archives, 1215 E. Fir Street, Seattle, WA 98122
List of Washington Libraries & Museums
- African American Museum, 925 Court C, Tacoma, WA 98402. Phone 253-274-1278. Fax 253-274-9644.
- Wing Luke Asian Museum, 407 Seventh Ave. South, Seattle, WA 98104; has materials relating to the Chinese in the Pacific Northwest and principally the Seattle area.
- Roslyn Historical Museum Society, Roslyn, Washington
- Burke Museum of Natural History and Culture, University of Washington, PO Box 353010, 17th Ave NE and NE 45th St, Seattle, WA 98195. Phone 206-543-5590
- Children’s Museum, 305 Harrison, Seattle, WA 98109. Phone 206-441-1768
- Maple Valley Historical Museum, 23015 SE 216th Way, PO Box 123, Maple Valley, WA 98038
- Museum of History and Industry (MOHAI), 2700 24th Ave E, Seattle, WA 98112. Phone 206-324-1126
- Northwest Railway Museum, 38625 SE King Street, Snoqualmie, WA. North Bend Depot is at 205 McClellan Street in North Bend, WA. Phone 425-888-3030
- Shoreline Historical Museum, 749 N 175th, PO Box 7171, Seattle, WA 98133. Phone 206-542-7111
- Seattle Public Library, 1000 Fourth Ave., Seattle, WA 98104
- East Asia Library, at the University of Washington, 322 Gowen Hall, Box 353527, Seattle, WA 98195-3527 – has holdings consisting of materials from the Chinese Empire Reform Association, a Chinese-American organization with chapters throughout the western United States.
- Pierce County Library System, 3005 112th St E, Tacoma, WA 98446-2215. Phone 253-536-6500.
- Seattle Public Library, 1000 Fourth Ave., Seattle, WA 98104
- Tacoma Public Library, Northwest Room, 1102 Tacoma Ave. South, Tacoma, WA 98402
List of Washington Historical & Genealogical Societies
For almost every state there is a state genealogical society, a state genealogical council, or both.
In addition to their own work, Washington groups many times help coordinate the efforts of local societies throughout the Washington.
Their unique publications, newsletters and quarterlies, supplement those created through the area societies.
Regional and State Societies
- Washington State Historical Society, 1911 Pacific Ave., Tacoma, WA 98402
- Washington State Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1422, Olympia, WA 98507-1422. The website has county research guides online. The Washington GenWeb Project at has links to the major libraries, archives, and societies. State Library provides access to catalogs statewide.
- Most Worshipful Grand Lodge of Washington, F&A.M (Masonic)
- Daughters of the Pioneers of Washington (The Pioneer Association of the State of Washington)
- Pioneer Association of the State of Washington, an association of the lineal descendants of pioneers of Washington Territory.
- Society of Mayflower Descendants in the State of Washington
- Washington Society of Daughters of the American Revolution
- National Society of Daughters of the American Revolution,
- Washington Society of Sons of the American Revolution,
- National Society of Sons of the American Revolution, 1000 South Fourth Street, Louisville, Kentucky 40203; (502) 589-1776
- United Daughters of the Confederacy, Robert E. Lee Chapter #885
- Swedish-Finn Historical Society, 1920 Dexter Ave N, Seattle, WA Phone: 206-706-0738
- Washington State Jewish Historical Society, 2031 Third Ave, Seattle, WA 98121, Phone: 206-774-2277
County, Township and City Societies
- Adams County Historical Society, Box 526, Lind WA 99341
- League of Snohomish County Heritage Organizations, P. O. Box 1773, Marysville, WA 98270
- Anderson Island Historical Society, 9306 Otso Point Rd, Anderson Island, WA 98303. Phone 253-884-2069.
- Anacortes Museum Foundation & Museum, 1305 8th, Anacortes, WA 98221. Phone: 360-293-1915.
- Asotin County Historical Society, 215 Filmore, Asotin, WA 99402 509-243-4659
- Association of King County Historical Organization (AKCHO), PO Box 3257, Seattle, WA 98114
- Bainbridge Island Historical Society, 7650 NE High School Rd, Bainbridge Island, WA 98110-2621. Phone 206-842-2773
- Benton County Historical Society, Inc., PO Box 591, Prosser, WA 99350. Phone 509-786-3842.
- Ballard Historical Society, PO Box 17775, Seattle, WA 98127. Phone 206-660-8463.
- Big Bend Historical Society, PO Box 523, Wilbur, WA 99185-0166. Phone 509-647-5863.
- Black Diamond Historical Society, 32626 Railroad, PO Box 232, Black Diamond, WA 98010. Phone 360-886-2142
- East Benton County Historical Society, 205 Keewaydin Drive, PO Box 6964, Kennewick, WA 99336. Phone 509-582-7704.
- Camwood Genealogical Group, P.O. Box 41, Stanwood, Washington 98292
- Chelan Valley Genealogical Society, PO Box Y, Chelan, WA 98816
- Chelan County Historical Society, PO Box 22, Chelan, WA 98815. Phone 509-782-3230.
- Clallam County Genealogical Society, 931 W 9th St, PO Box 1327, Port Angeles, WA 98362
- Clallam County Historical Society, 933 W 9th St, PO Box 1327, Port Angeles, WA 98362
- Clark County Genealogical Society, PO Box 5249, Vancouver, WA 912990-5249
- Clark County Historical Society and Museum, 1511 Main St, PO Box 1834, Vancouver, WA 98663. Phone 360-695-4681
- Columbia County Genealogical and Historical Society, PO Box 74, Dayton, WA 99328-0074
- Cowlitz County Historical Society & Museum, 405 Allen St, Kelso, WA 98626
- Des Moines Historical Society, PO Box 98055, Des Moines, WA 98198
- Douglas County Genealogical Society, c/o Waterville Public Library, Box 580, Waterville, WA 98858-0580.
- Douglas County Historical Society, Box 63, 113 East Locust Street, Waterville, WA 98858; Phone:(509) 745-8800
- Duvall Historical Society, 26526 NE Cherry Valley Road Duvall, WA 98019
- DuPont Historical Society, 207 Barksdale Ave., DuPont, WA 98327. Phone 253-964-2399.
- East Benton County Historical Society, 205 Keewaydin Drive, PO Box 6964, Kennewick, WA 99336. Phone 509-582-7704
- East Benton Historical Society, 205 Keewaydin Drive, Kennewick, WA 99336-0602; (509) 582-7704
- Eastern Lewis County Historical Society & Historical Museum, Gust. Backstrom Park, PO Box 777, Morton, WA 98356. Phone 360-496-5602.
- Eastern Washington Genealogical Society, PO Box 1826, Spokane, WA 99210-1826.
- Eastside Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 374, Bellevue 98009-0374
- Entiat Community Historical Society, 2800 Entiat Way, Entiat, WA 98822
- Enumclaw Plateau Historical Society, 1837 Marion St., PO Box 1087, Enumclaw, WA 98022. Phone 360-825-4028
- Forks Genealogical Society, c/o Forks Memorial Library, 171 Forks Ave So, PO Box 1817, Forks, WA 98331
- Ft Vancouver Historical Society of Clark County, PO Box 1834, 1511 Main St, Vancouver, WA 912990-1834
- Fort Nisqually Association, 5400 N. Pearl St. #11, Tacoma, WA 98407. Phone 253-591-5339.
- Fox Island Historical Society, 1017 Ninth Ave., Fox Island, WA 98333. Phone 253-549-2461.
- Garfield County Historical Association, PO Box 854, Pomeroy, WA 99347. Phone 509-843-3925.
- Genealogical Society Of South Whidbey Island, P.O. Box 976, Langley, Washington 98260
- Grant County Genealogical Society, 45 Alder St, NW, Ephrata, WA 98823-1663
- Grant County Historical Society, 742 Basin Street N, P O Box 1141, Ephrata, WA 98823
- Grays Harbor Genealogy Society, PO Box 867, Cosmopolis, WA 98537-0867
- Heritage Quest Research Library & Bookstore, 909 Main St. #5, Sumner, Washington 98390
- Highline Historical Society, P. O. Box 317, Seahurst, WA 98062
- Historical Society of Seattle & King County. 2700-24th Ave E, Seattle, WA 98112, Phone 206-324-1126
- Historic Fort Steilacoom Association, 9601 Steilacoom Blvd. SW, Lakewood WA 98498. Phone 253-582-5838.
- Ilwaco Heritage Foundation, 115 SE Lake St, PO Box 153, Ilwaco, WA 98624; phone: 360-642-3446
- Inland Empire Railway Historical Society, PO Box 3950, Spokane, WA 99220. Phone 509-982-2389.
- Island County Historical Society, 902 NW Alexander, Coupeville, WA 98239. Phone 360-678-3310.
- Issaquah Historical Society, P. O. Box 695, Issaquah, Washington 98027; Telephone ~(425) 392-3500
- Jefferson County Genealogical Society, 210 Madison St, Port Townsend, WA 98368.
- Jefferson County Historical Society & Museum, 210 Madison, Port Townsend, WA 98368
- Kent Historical Society and Museum, 855 E. Smith Street, Kent WA 98030. Phone: 253-854-4330
- Key Peninsula Historical Society, PO Box 577, Vaughn, WA 98394. Phone 253-884-6951.
- Kitsap County Historical Society, PO Box 903, Bremerton, WA 98337. Phone 360-479-6226
- Kittitas County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1342, Ellensburg, Washington 98926-1342
- Klickitat County Historical Society, 127 W Broadway, PO Box 86, Goldendale, WA 98620. Phone 509-773-4303.
- Lacey Historical Society, 2020 Centerwood Dr, Olympia, WA 98501.
- Lake Chelan Historical Society, 204 E Woodin Ave, PO Box 1948, Chelan, WA 98816. Phone 509-682-5644
- League of Snohomish County Heritage Organizations, P. O. Box 1773, Marysville, WA 98270
- Lewis County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 782, Chehalis, Washington 98532
- Lewis County Historical Society, Museum & Library, 599 Front St, Chehalis, WA 98532. Phone 360-748-0831.
- Lincoln County Historical Society & Museum, Box 585, Davenport, WA 99122. Phone 509-725-6711.
- Lower Columbia Genealogical Society, PO Box 472, Longview, WA 98632-7306.
- Mason County Genealogical Society, PO Box 1535, Shelton, WA 98544-1535.
- Mason County Historical Society & Museum, PO Box 1366, Railroad Ave and 5th St, Shelton, WA 98584.
- Mercer Island Historical Society 8236 SE 24th St., Mercer Island, WA 98040. Phone: 206-236-7321 or 206-236-3545
- Newcastle Historical Society, 7331 Lakemount Blvd SE, Issaquah, WA 98027, Phone 425-255-6996
- North Beach Genealogical Society, PO Box 2007, Ocean Shores, WA 98569
- Northeast Washington Genealogical Society, c/o Colville Public Library, 195 S Oak,Colville, WA 99114.
- Northern Kittitas County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 535, Cle Elum, Washington 98922
- Olympia Genealogical Society, PO Box 1313, Olympia, WA 98507-1313. Membership available.
- Olympia Historical Society, PO Box 6064, Olympia, WA 98507-6064
- Okanogan County Genealogical Society, P. O. Box 95, Malott, WA 98829-0095; (509) 422-4272.
- Okanogan County Historical Society, 1410 2nd Avenue North, Okanogan, WA 98840-1129; ph: 509-422-4272
- Omak Pioneer Club, c/o Betty Jeglum. Phone 509-826-1872
- Olympia Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1313, Olympia, Washington 98507-1313
- Pacific County Genealogical Society, PO Box 843, Ocean Park, WA 98640-0843
- Pacific County Historical Society & Museum, PO Box P, South Bend, WA 98586
- Pacific Northwest Historians Guild, PO Box 85457, Seattle, WA 98145
- Pacific Northwest Cornish Association, 4676-41 Ave Ne, Seattle, Washington 98105 3906
- Pend Oreille County Historical Society & Museum, 402 S Washington, Newport, WA 99156. Phone 509-447-5388 .
- Polson Park & Museum Historical Society, 1611 Riverside Ave, PO Box 432, Hoquiam, WA 98550. Phone 360-533-5862.
- Points Northeast Historical Society, 6602 Spring St NE, Tacoma, WA 98411. Phone 253-927-3329.
- Puget Sound Genealogical Society, 1026 Sidney Ave,
Suite 110, Port Orchard, WA 98366
- Queen Anne Historical Society, P.O. Box 19432, Seattle, WA 98109
- Rainier Valley Historical Society, P.O Box 18143, Seattle, WA 98118, 3710 S. Ferdinand St., Seattle, WA 98118-0143, Phone 206-723-1663
- Redmond Historical Society, The Old Redmond Schoolhouse, 16600 NE 80 St, Redmond, WA 98052. Phone: 425-885-2919
- Rockford Historical Society, PO Box 107, Rockford, WA 99030.
- Riverside Historical Society, c/o Maggie Sasse. Phone 509- 826-0831
- Roslyn Seattle Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 15329, Seattle, Washington 98115-0329
- Renton Historical Society, 235 Mill Ave S, Renton, WA 98055. Phone 425-255-2330
- Salmon Beach Historical Commission, 46 Salmon Beach, WA 98407. Phone 253-752-7010.
- San Juan County Genealogical Society, 338 Shoreland Dr, Lopez Island, WA 98261.
- San Juan Historical Society, PO Box 441, 405 Price St, Friday Harbor, WA 98250. Phone 360-378-3949 .
- Shaw Island Library & Historical Society, PO Box 844, Blind Bay Rd., Shaw Island, WA 98286-0844. Phone360-468-4068 .
- Skagit Valley Genealogical Society, PO Box 715, Conway, WA 98238-0715.
- Sedro-Wooley Museum , 725 Murdock St, Sedro-Wooley, WA 98284. Phone: 360-855-2390.
- Skagit County Historical Museum, PO Box 818, 501 S Fourth, LaConner, WA 98257. Phone: 360-466-3365.
- Skamania County Historical Society, PO Box 396, Stevenson, WA 98648
- Sky Valley Genealogical Society, 912 First St, Sultan, Washington 98294
- Sno-Isle Genealogical Society, PO Box 63, Edmonds, WA 98020-0063.
- Snoqualmie Valley Historical Society, P.O. Box 179, 320 Bendigo Blvd, North Bend, WA 98045, Phone: 425-888-3200
- Southeast Spokane County Historical Society & Museum, PO Box 426, E 300 Main St, Fairfield, WA 99012. Phone 509-283-2193.
- South King County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 3174, Kent, Washington 98032-0203
- South Pacific County Genealogical Society, PO Box 1024, Long Beach, WA 98631
- South Pierce County Historical Society, PO Box 1131, Eatonville, WA 98328. Phone 253-847-6182.
- South Thurston County Historical Society, Park St, PO Box 339, Tenino, WA 98589. Phone: 360-264-4321.
- South Whidbey Genealogical Group, Freeland, Washington 98249
- South Whidbey Historical Society , 312-2nd St, Langley, WA 98260. Phone 360-579-3519.
- Stillaguamish Valley Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 34, 135 N. Olympic Ave., Arlington, Washington 98223-0034
- Steilacoom Historical Museum Association , PO Box 88016, Steilacoom, WA 98388-0016. 253-584-4133.
- Stevens County Historical Society & Research Center, 700 N Wynne St, P.O. Box 25, Colville, WA 99114. Phone 509-684-5968.
- Sumner Historical Society, 1228 Main St., PO Box 517, Sumner, WA 98390. Phone 253-299-5780.
- Sumner Genealogical Group, Sumner Public Library, Sumner, Washington 98390
- Sunnyside Museum and Historical Society, 704 Fourth St, Sunnyside, WA 98944. Phone 509-837-6010.
- Tacoma-Pierce County Genealogical Society, PO Box 1952, Tacoma, Washington 98401
- Tacoma Historical Society, PO Box 1865, Tacoma, WA 98403. Phone 253-472-3738.
- Tonasket Genealogical Society, PO Box 84, Tonasket, WA 98855
- Toppenish Historical Society, c/o Margaret Couch, 111 S Chestnut, Toppenish, WA 98948. Phone 509-865-3783.
- Tri-city Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1410, Richland, Washington 99352-1410
- Twin Rivers Genealogical Society, PO 386, Lewiston, ID 83501-2824.
- Tumwater Historical Association, 602 Des Chutes Way, Tumwater, WA 98501.
- Walla Walla Valley Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 115, Walla Walla, Washington 99362-0115
- Washington State Genealogical Society, 1901 S 12th Ave, Union Gap, WA 98903-1256
- Wenatchee Area Genealogical Society, PO Box 5280, Wenatchee, WA 98807-5280
- Whatcom Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1493, Bellingham, Washington 98227-1493
- Whidbey Island Genealogical Searchers, P.O. Box 627, Oak Harbor, Washington 98277-0627
- White River Valley Historical Society, 918 H St SE, Auburn, WA 98002. Phone 253-288-7433
- Whitman County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 393, Pullman, Washington 99163-0393
- Willapa Harbor Genealogical Society, Raymond Public Library, 507 Duryea St, Raymond, WA 98577
- Woodinville Heritage Society, P.O. Box 216, 17143 133rd Ave NE, Woodinville, WA
- Yakima Valley Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 445, Yakima, Washington 98907-0445
Religious and Ethnic Societies
Washington Newspapers & Publications
Washington Genealogical publications (magazines, newsletters, periodicals, books, etc.) contain all types of invaluable information about specific ancestors, whole lineages and families, places in time, and about all sorts of genealogical records and repositories.
The Washington State Library, which is located in Olympia, has microfilmed copies of all extant newspapers for the state. The library has an interlibrary loan program, which makes those records more accessible for researchers. The website for the library lists indexes and links of holdings for selected older newspapers, as well as current newspapers.
Various newspaper clippings from 1900 to 1942 have been collected together in the “Pacific Northwest Clippings Collection” and published online by Washington State University. Around 10,000 pictures have also been placed on the website.
Genealogical journals provide you with plenty of sources of information and facts, they are generally overlooked by genealogy and family history researchers and genealogist in looking around for family history.
Many regional and county genealogical and/or historical societies produce periodicals which have records relating to the region or vicinity they operate.
Frequently these publications have articles involving records that are not obtainable somewhere else.
- Columbia Magazine, which is published by the Washington State Historical Society, is full of historical articles. An index of all of the articles that have been published in Columbia Magazine is located at the Washington State Historical Society.