Madison County, Tennessee Records
Madison County, Tennessee (Map It) was created on November 6, 1821 from Chickasaw Indians lands. This Madison County was named in honor of U.S. President James Madison (1758–1836).Learn More About State of Tennessee History
Madison County is bordered by Gibson County (north), Carroll County (northeast), Henderson County (east), Chester County (southeast), Hardeman County (south), Haywood County (west) and Crockett County (northwest) .
Madison County Cities and Towns include Jackson, Medon, Three Way, Pinson (unincorporated) .
A Map of Madison County, Tennessee contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Madison County, Tennessee Courthouse Records
Madison County, TN Courthouse
The Madison County Courthouse is located in Jackson, Tennessee. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Madison county or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Madison County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1838 and Probate Records from 1825 .
- Madison County Register of Deeds has Land & Deed Records from 1821 .
- Madison County Clerk of Circuit Court has Chancery Court Minutes from 1846, Circuit Court Minutes from 1821 and County Court Minutes 1821 .
- Madison County Property Assessor has Tax Records from ? and are located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Madison County Health Department issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Madison County, Tennessee Census Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: , 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Madison County, Tennessee Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1914 to present, also for Nashville since June 1881, for Knoxville since July 1881, and for Chattanooga since January 1882
- Marriage, Divorce and Death Records: from the past 50 years to present.
- Locations: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, Tennessee State Library and Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, 1st Floor, Central Services Building, 421 Fifth Avenue, North, Nashville, TN 37243; PH: 615-741-1763
Madison County, Tennessee Resources
- State of Tennessee Archives and Societies
- Madison County Archives, 1981 Hollywood Drive, Suite 300, Jackson, TN 38305; Phone: (731) 423-2723
- Casey Jones Home & Railroad Museum, 56 Casey Jones Lane, Jackson, TN 38305 731-668-1222
- Union University Archives, Emma Waters Summar Library, 1050 University Drive, Jackson, TN 38305 731-661-5070
- RAOGK Volunteers for Tennessee
- Madison County, Tennessee Message Boards
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Madison County
Madison County, Tennessee External Links
- Tennessee Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from Tennessee (1795 - 1929 )
- Tennessee Newspaper List by County and City
- Madison County, Tennessee Books - Amazon
- Tennessee Real Estate Assessment Data Property Search
- Madison County Records on Microfilm - Order County Microfilm Inventories and Reels
- Early Madison County Records Available on Interlibrary Loan
- Madison Co., Tennessee - FindaGrave
- 1887 History of Madison County Description, Settlement, County Government, City of Jackson,Other Communities, Courts, War, Schools, Churches Index of Names in Goodspeed Book - The Goodspeed Publishing Co., History of Tennessee, 1887
- Madison County History and Culture
- Madison County, Tennessee Links - Cyndi's List
- Madison Co. TNGenweb
- Madison County, Tennessee Ancestry Database Collections
- Madison Co. D.O.T. County Highway Map
- Madison County, Tennessee Military Records