Gibson County, Tennessee Records
Gibson County, Tennessee (Map It) was created on October 21, 1823 from lands ceded by the Chickasaws in the Jackson Purchase. This Gibson County was named in honor of John H. Gibson, a soldier of the Natchez Expedition and the Creek War. .Learn More About State of Tennessee History
Gibson County is bordered by Weakley County (northeast), Carroll County (east), Madison County (south), Crockett County (southwest), Dyer County (west) and Obion County (northwest) .
Gibson County Cities and Towns include Bradford, Dyer, Gibson, Humboldt, Kenton, Medina, Milan, Rutherford, Trenton, Yorkville .
A Map of Gibson County, Tennessee contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Gibson County, Tennessee Courthouse Records
Gibson County, TN Courthouse
The Gibson County Courthouse is located in Trenton, Tennessee. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Gibson county or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
There was a fire at the Gibson County courthouse in 1941.
- Gibson County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1824 and Probate Records from 1824.
- Gibson County Register of Deeds has Land & Deed Records from 1819.
- Gibson County Clerk of Circuit Court has Chancery Court Minutes from 1834, Circuit Court Minutes from 1824 and County Court Minutes 1824.
- Gibson County Property Assessor has Tax Records from 1830, 1833-1850, 1851-1856, 1862, 1867-1894, 1896-1900 and are located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Gibson County Health Department issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Gibson County, Tennessee Census Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: , 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Gibson County, Tennessee Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1914 to present, also for Nashville since June 1881, for Knoxville since July 1881, and for Chattanooga since January 1882
- Marriage, Divorce and Death Records: from the past 50 years to present.
- Locations: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, Tennessee State Library and Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, 1st Floor, Central Services Building, 421 Fifth Avenue, North, Nashville, TN 37243; PH: 615-741-1763
Gibson County, Tennessee Resources
- State of Tennessee Archives and Societies
- Gibson County Archives, 731 South College, Trenton , TN 38382; Phone: (731) 855-7688
- Mildred G. Fields Library, 1075A E. Van Hook Street, Milan, TN 38358 731-686-8268
- RAOGK Volunteers for Tennessee
- Gibson County, Tennessee Message Boards
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Gibson County
Gibson County, Tennessee External Links
- Tennessee Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from Tennessee (1795 - 1929 )
- Tennessee Newspaper List by County and City
- Gibson County, Tennessee Books - Amazon
- Tennessee Real Estate Assessment Data Property Search
- Gibson County Records on Microfilm - Order County Microfilm Inventories and Reels
- Early Gibson County Records Available on Interlibrary Loan
- Gibson Co., Tennessee - FindaGrave
- Gibson County History and Culture
- Gibson County, Tennessee Links - Cyndi's List
- Gibson Co. TNGenweb
- Gibson County, Tennessee Ancestry Database Collections
- Gibson Co. D.O.T. County Highway Map
- Gibson County, Tennessee Military Records