Haywood County, Tennessee Records
Haywood County was founded in November 3, 1823 from Madison County (Later, part of Haywood County was taken to create Lauderdale County and Crockett County). This Haywood County was named in honor of Judge John Haywood (1762–1826), called "the father of Tennessee history."
Haywood County Cities and Towns include Brownsville, Nutbush, Stanton .
A Map of Haywood County, Tennessee contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Haywood County, Tennessee Courthouse Records
Haywood County, TN Courthouse
The Haywood County Courthouse is located in Brownsville, Tennessee. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Haywood county or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
Record Loss of marriages from 1823 to 1858
- Haywood County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1859 and Probate Records from 1826.
- Haywood County Register of Deeds has Land & Deed Records from 1823.
- Haywood County Clerk of Circuit Court has Chancery Court Minutes from 1842, Circuit Court Minutes from 1840 and County Court Minutes 1823.
- Haywood County Property Assessor has Tax Records from 1825-1827, 1834-1835, 1837-1840, 1845-1854, 1860, 1865-1869, 1872-1900 and are located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Haywood County Health Department issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Haywood County, Tennessee Census Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1800 (part), 1810 (part), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Territory Census: 1770-1790 Census of the Cumberland Settlements
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Haywood County, Tennessee Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1914 to present, also for Nashville since June 1881, for Knoxville since July 1881, and for Chattanooga since January 1882
- Marriage, Divorce and Death Records: from the past 50 years to present.
- Locations: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, Tennessee State Library and Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, 1st Floor, Central Services Building, 421 Fifth Avenue, North, Nashville, TN 37243; PH: 615-741-1763
Haywood County, Tennessee Resources
- State of Tennessee Archives and Societies
- West Tennessee Historical Society
- Elma Ross Public Library, 1011 East Main Street, Brownsville, TN 38012 731-772-9534
- Haywood County Museum, 127 N. Grand Avenue; College Hill Center, PO Box 207, Brownsville, TN 38012 731-772-0380
- RAOGK Volunteers for Tennessee
- Haywood County, Tennessee Message Boards
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Haywood County
Haywood County, Tennessee External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Tennessee (1795 - 1929 )
- Tennessee Newspaper List by County and City
- Haywood County, Tennessee Books - Amazon
- Tennessee Real Estate Assessment Data Property Search
- Haywood County Records on Microfilm - Order County Microfilm Inventories and Reels
- Early Haywood County Records Available on Interlibrary Loan
- Haywood Co., Tennessee - FindaGrave
- Haywood County History and Culture
- Haywood County, Tennessee Links - Cyndi's List
- Haywood Co. TNGenweb
- Haywood County, Tennessee Ancestry Database Collections
- Haywood Co. D.O.T. County Highway Map
- Haywood County, Tennessee Military Records