Coffee County, Tennessee Records
Coffee County, Tennessee (Map It) was created on January 8, 1836 from Franklin County, Warren County and Bedford County. This Coffee County was named in honor of John Coffee (1772–1833), frontiersman, planter, and veteran of Creek War and War of 1812. .Learn More About State of Tennessee History
Coffee County is bordered by Cannon County (north), Warren County (northeast), Grundy County (east), Franklin County (south), Moore County (southwest), Bedford County (west) and Rutherford County (northwest) .
Coffee County Cities and Towns include Hillsboro, Manchester, Tullahoma .
A Map of Coffee County, Tennessee contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Coffee County, Tennessee Courthouse Records
Coffee County, TN Courthouse
The Coffee County Courthouse is located in Manchester, Tennessee. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Coffee county or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
There was a fire at the Coffee County courthouse in 1876, destroying some records.
- Coffee County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1853 and Probate Records from 1836.
- Coffee County Register of Deeds has Land & Deed Records from 1836.
- Coffee County Clerk of Circuit Court has Chancery Court Minutes from 1872, Circuit Court Minutes from 1852 and County Court Minutes 1836.
- Coffee County Property Assessor has Tax Records from 1836-1839, 1856-1862, 1865-1867, 1870, 1875-1900 and are located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Coffee County Health Department, 800 Park Street, Manchester, TN 37355; (931) 723-5134 , issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Coffee County, Tennessee Census Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Coffee County, Tennessee Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1914 to present, also for Nashville since June 1881, for Knoxville since July 1881, and for Chattanooga since January 1882
- Marriage, Divorce and Death Records: from the past 50 years to present.
- Locations: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, Tennessee State Library and Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, 1st Floor, Central Services Building, 421 Fifth Avenue, North, Nashville, TN 37243; PH: 615-741-1763
Coffee County, Tennessee Resources
- State of Tennessee Archives and Societies
- Coffee County Archives
- Coffee County Historical Society
- Coffee County Lannom Memorial Library, 312 North Collins Street, Tullahoma, TN 37388 931-455-2460
- Coffee County-Manchester Public Library, 1005 Hillsboro Blvd., Manchester, TN 37355 931-723-5143
- RAOGK Volunteers for Tennessee
- Coffee County, Tennessee Message Boards
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Coffee County
Coffee County, Tennessee External Links
- Tennessee Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from Tennessee (1795 - 1929 )
- Tennessee Newspaper List by County and City
- Coffee County, Tennessee Books - Amazon
- Tennessee Real Estate Assessment Data Property Search
- Coffee County Records on Microfilm - Order County Microfilm Inventories and Reels
- Early Coffee County Records Available on Interlibrary Loan
- Coffee Co., Tennessee - FindaGrave
- Coffee County History and Culture
- Coffee County, Tennessee Links - Cyndi's List
- Coffee Co. TNGenweb
- Coffee County, Tennessee Ancestry Database Collections
- Coffee Co. D.O.T. County Highway Map
- Coffee County, Tennessee Military Records