Orleans County, Vermont Records
Orleans County is bordered by Essex County (east), Caledonia County (south), Lamoille County (southwest), Franklin County (west), Brome-Missisquoi Regional County Municipality, Quebec (northwest), Memphrémagog Regional County Municipality, Quebec (north), Coaticook Regional County Municipality, Quebec (northeast).
Orleans County Cities and Towns include Albany, Barton, Brownington, Charleston, Coventry, Craftsbury, Derby, Glover, Greensboro, Holland, Irasburg, Jay, Lowell, Morgan, Newport (city), Newport (town), Troy, Westfield, Westmore.
The Town Maps of Orleans County, Vermont contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Orleans County, Vermont Courthouse Records
Each town clerk's office holds the original deed, vital, tax, and town meeting records. Included in town or proprietor's meeting records are such valuable sources as lists of freemen (new voters in town), annual election of officers, school records, hog or cattle marks, warnings out to those for whom the town will not assume legal responsibility, militia, and accounts of various town officials.
Even though the political division of county has little meaning in Vermont, there are some county land records, primarily for unorganized towns, and county court records located at the appropriate county office.
Town Clerks also has copies of vital records birth, marriage, civil unions, divorce and death records.
Orleans County Courthouse, 247 Main St, Newport, VT 05855; (802) 334-3344, has Land Records from 1799–1849 (county only) and Probate Records from 1796 to present.
- Albany Town Clerk, P.O. Box 284, Albany, VT 05820 ; Phone: (802)755-6100
- Barton Town Clerk, P. O. Box 657, Barton, VT 05822 ; Phone: (802)525-6222
- Brownington Town Clerk, 509 Dutton Brook Lane, Brownington, VT 05860 ; Phone: (802)754-8401
- Charleston Town Clerk, 5063 Vt. Rte. 105, W. Charleston, VT 05872 ; Phone: (802)895-2814
- Coventry Town Clerk, P.O. Box 104, Coventry, VT 05825 ; Phone: (802)754-2288
- Craftsbury Town Clerk, P.O. Box 55, Craftsbury, VT 05826 ; Phone: (802)586-2823
- Derby Town Clerk, P.O. Box 25, Derby, VT 05829 ; Phone: (802)766-4906
- Glover Town Clerk, 51 Bean Hill, Glover, VT 05839 ; Phone: (802)525-6227
- Greensboro Town Clerk, P.O. Box 119, Greensboro, VT 05841 ; Phone: (802)533-2911
- Holland Town Clerk, 120 School Road - Holland, Derby Line, VT 05830-8961; Phone: (802)895-4440
- Irasburg Town Clerk, P.O. Box 51, Irasburg, VT 05845 ; Phone: (802)754-2242
- Jay Town Clerk, 1036 VT RTE 242, Jay, VT 05859 ; Phone: (802)988-2996
- Lowell Town Clerk, 2170 VT Rt. 100, Lowell, VT 05847 ; Phone: (802)744-6559
- Morgan Town Clerk, P.O. Box 45, Morgan, VT 05853 ; Phone: (802)895-2927
- Newport City, 222 Main Street, Newport, VT 05855 ; Phone: (802)334-2112
- Newport Town, P. O. Box 85, Newport Center, VT 05857 ; Phone: (802)334-6442
- Troy Town Clerk, P.O. Box 80, North Troy, VT 05859 ; Phone: (802)988-2663
- Westfield Town Clerk, 1257 VT Rt. 100, Westfield, VT 05874 ; Phone: (802)744-2484
- Westmore Town Clerk, 54 Hinton Hill Road, Orleans, VT 05860 ; Phone: (802)525-3007
Orleans County, Vermont Census Records
- Learn More: State of Vermont Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Orleans County, Vermont Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Vermont Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Records: for most recent 5 years. For records over 5 years old see the Vermont State Archives below
- Locations: Vermont Department of Health, Vermont State Archives and Records Administration (VSARA)
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Vermont Department of Health, Vital Records Section, P.O. Box 70, 108 Cherry Street, Burlington, VT 05402; (802) 863-7275
Orleans County, Vermont Resources
- Albany Historical Society, PO Box 317, Albany, VT 05820; Phone: (802) 755-6105
- Charleston Historical Society
- Craftsbury Historical Society
- Crystal Lake Falls Historical Association, PO Box 253, Pierce House, 97 Water Street, Barton, VT 05822 ; Phone: (802) 525-3703
- Derby Historical Society
- Glover Historical Society
- Greensboro Historical Society
- Holland Historical Society, PO Box 483, Derby Line, VT 05830; Phone: (802) 766-5375
- Lowell Historical Society, 2170 VT Rte 100, Lowell, VT 05847; Phone: (802) 744-6559 or (802) 744-6859
- Memphremagog Historical Society of Newport, 96 Stagecoach Drive, Newport, VT 05855; Phone: (802) 334-6195
- Missisquoi Valley Historical Society
- Morgan Historical Society
- Orleans County Historical Society
- Westfield Historical Society, 69 Fuller Road, Westfield, VT 05847
- Orleans County, Vermont Message Boards
Orleans County, Vermont External Links
- Vermont Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from Vermont (1783–2006)
- Orleans County, Vermont Books - Amazon
- Inventory of the town, village and city archives of Vermont, no. 10, Orleans County, vol. i, town of Albany
- Inventory of the town, village and city archives of Vermont, no. 10, Orleans County, vol. v, town of Covnetry
- Orleans Co., Vermont - FindaGrave
- Centennial book of the Methodist Episcopal Church, Barton, Vermont
- A history of Coventry, Orleans County, Vermont
- Annals of Salem, Vermont
- Orleans County, Vermont Links - Cyndi's List
- Orleans Co. VTGenweb
- Orleans County, Vermont Ancestry Database Collections
- Vermont, Enrolled Militia Records, 1861-1867 Index and images of Vermont enrolled militia records that identify thousands of young men who served in the military or who were eligible for service. Includes some corrected entries.
- Orleans County, Vermont Military Records
- Gazetteer and business directory of Lamoille and Orleans Counties, Vt., for 1883-84