Franklin County, Vermont Records
Franklin County, Vermont (Map It) was created on November 5, 1792 from part of Chittenden County. This particular county was named in honor of Benjamin Franklin (1706–1790), one of the most critical Founding Fathers of the United States. .
Franklin County is bordered by Orleans County (east), Lamoille County (southeast), Chittenden County (southwest), Grand Isle County (west), Brome-Missisquoi Regional County Municipality, Quebec (north).
Franklin County Cities and Towns include Bakersfield, Berkshire, Enosburgh, Fairfax, Fairfield, Fletcher, Franklin, Georgia, Highgate, Montgomery, Richford, Sheldon, St. Albans (city), St. Albans (town), Swanton .
The Town Maps of Franklin County, Vermont contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Franklin County, Vermont Courthouse Records
Each town clerk's office holds the original deed, vital, tax, and town meeting records. Included in town or proprietor's meeting records are such valuable sources as lists of freemen (new voters in town), annual election of officers, school records, hog or cattle marks, warnings out to those for whom the town will not assume legal responsibility, militia, and accounts of various town officials.
Even though the political division of county has little meaning in Vermont, there are some county land records, primarily for unorganized towns, and county court records located at the appropriate county office.
Town Clerks also has copies of vital records birth, marriage, civil unions, divorce and death records.
Franklin County Courthouse, 17 Church St, St Albans, VT 05478; (802) 524-3863
- Bakersfield Town Clerk, P.O. Box 203, Bakersfield, VT 05441-0203; Phone: (802)827-4495
- Berkshire Town Clerk, 4454 Watertower Road, Enosburg Falls, VT 05450 ; Phone: (802)933-2335
- Enosburgh Town Clerk, P.O. Box 465, Enosburg Falls, VT 05450 ; Phone: (802)933-4421
- Fairfax Town Clerk, P.O. Box 27, Fairfax, VT 05454 ; Phone: (802)849-6111
- Fairfield Town Clerk, P.O. Box 5, Fairfield, VT 05455 ; Phone: (802)827-3261
- Fletcher Town Clerk, 215 Cambridge Road, Cambridge, VT 05444 ; Phone: (802)849-6616
- Franklin Town Clerk, P.O. Box 82, Franklin, VT 05457 ; Phone: (802)285-2101
- Georgia Town Clerk, 47 Town Common Road, North, St., Albans, VT 05478 ; Phone: (802)524-3524
- Highgate Town Clerk, P.O. Box 67, Highgate Center, VT 05459 ; Phone: (802)868-4697
- Montgomery Town Clerk, P.O. Box 356, Montgomery Center, VT 05471 ; Phone: (802)326-4719
- Richford Town Clerk, P.O. Box 236, Richford, VT 05476-0236; Phone: (802)848-7751
- Saint Albans City, P.O. Box 867, St., Albans, VT 05478-0867; Phone: (802)524-1501
- Saint Albans Town, P.O. Box 37, St., Albans Bay, VT 05481 ; Phone: (802)524-2415
- Sheldon Town Clerk, P.O. Box 66, Sheldon, VT 05483 ; Phone: (802)933-2524
- Swanton Town Clerk, P.O. Box 428, Swanton, VT 05488 ; Phone: (802)868-4421
Franklin County, Vermont Census Records
- Learn More: State of Vermont Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Franklin County, Vermont Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Vermont Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Records: for most recent 5 years. For records over 5 years old see the Vermont State Archives below
- Locations: Vermont Department of Health, Vermont State Archives and Records Administration (VSARA)
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Vermont Department of Health, Vital Records Section, P.O. Box 70, 108 Cherry Street, Burlington, VT 05402; (802) 863-7275
Franklin County, Vermont Resources
- Bakersfield Historical Society
- Berkshire Historical Society
- Enosburgh Historical Society
- Fairfax Historical Society
- Fairfield Historical Society, PO Box 5, Fairfield, VT 05455; Phone: (802) 309-5076
- Franklin Historical Society, Log Cabin Museum, Hanna Road, Franklin, VT ; 802) 285-6472
- Georgia Historical Society
- Highgate Historical Society, PO Box 222, Highgate Center, VT 05459; Phone: (802) 868-4619
- Montgomery Historical Society
- Richford Historical Society & Museum
- Saint Albans Historical Society
- Swanton Historical Society
- Franklin County, Vermont Message Boards
Franklin County, Vermont External Links
- Vermont Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from Vermont (1783–2006)
- Franklin County, Vermont Books - Amazon
- Inventory of the town, village and city archives of Vermont, no. 6, Franklin County.
- Vermont, Franklin County Probate Records, 1796-1921
- Franklin Co., Vermont - FindaGrave
- Swanton, Franklin county, Vermont, Church Records, 1872-1934: Saint Mary's Church Death Records
- Swanton, Vermont Church Records, 1858-84
- Swanton, Vermont Church Records, 1865-1908
- History of Franklin and Grand Isle Counties, Vermont : with illustrations and biographical sketches of some of the prominent me
- A centennial history of St. Albans, Vermont : organized July 28th, 1788
- Advantages, resources and attractions of St. Albans, Vt. : its location, railroad facilities, churches, schools, literary and s
- Some early records of Fairfield, Vermont
- Historical discourse on the rise and progress of the First Congregational Church of St. Albans, Vermont
- Franklin County, Vermont Links - Cyndi's List
- Franklin Co. VTGenweb
- Franklin County, Vermont Ancestry Database Collections
- Vermont, Enrolled Militia Records, 1861-1867 Index and images of Vermont enrolled militia records that identify thousands of young men who served in the military or who were eligible for service. Includes some corrected entries.
- Franklin County, Vermont Military Records
- Franklin, Grand Isle Counties, Vermont Business Directory, 1883
- Franklin, Grand Isle Counties, Vermont Business Directory, 1882
- St. Albans, Vermont Directory 1886-87
- Swanton, Vermont Directory 1886-87