Orange County, Vermont Records
Orange County Cities and Towns include Bradford, Braintree, Brookfield, Chelsea, Corinth, Fairlee, Newbury, Orange, Randolph, Strafford, Thetford, Topsham, Tunbridge, Vershire, Washington, West Fairlee, Williamstown.
The Town Maps of Orange County, Vermont contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Orange County, Vermont Courthouse Records
Each town clerk's office holds the original deed, vital, tax, and town meeting records. Included in town or proprietor's meeting records are such valuable sources as lists of freemen (new voters in town), annual election of officers, school records, hog or cattle marks, warnings out to those for whom the town will not assume legal responsibility, militia, and accounts of various town officials.
Even though the political division of county has little meaning in Vermont, there are some county land records, primarily for unorganized towns, and county court records located at the appropriate county office.
Town Clerks also has copies of vital records birth, marriage, civil unions, divorce and death records.
Orange County Courthouse, 5 Court St, Chelsea, VT 05038; (802) 685-4610, has Land Records from 1771–1952; Tax 1789–1847; Misc. 1770–81 (county only) and Probate Records from 1792 to present. Randolph (now Orange) Probate District covers towns in western part of Orange County. Probate district covers towns in eastern part of Orange County; Bradford probates, absorbed by Orange Probate District (above) 1 June 1994. Court records are now at Vermont Public Records Division.
- Bradford Town Clerk, P.O. Box 339, Bradford, VT 05033 ; Phone: (802)222-4727
- Braintree Town Clerk, 932 Vt. Rt. 12A, Braintree, VT 05060 ; Phone: (802)728-9787
- Brookfield Town Clerk, P.O. Box 463, Brookfield, VT 05036 ; Phone: (802)276-3029
- Chelsea Town Clerk, P.O. Box 266, Chelsea, VT 05038 ; Phone: (802)685-4460
- Corinth Town Clerk, P.O. Box 461, Corinth, VT 05039 ; Phone: (802)439-5850
- Fairlee Town Clerk, P.O. Box 95, Fairlee, VT 05045 ; Phone: (802)333-4363
- Newbury Town Clerk, P.O. Box 126, Newbury, VT 05051 ; Phone: (802)866-5521
- Orange Town Clerk, P.O. Box 233, E. Barre, VT 05649 ; Phone: (802)479-2673
- Randolph Town Clerk, Drawer B, Randolph, VT 05060 ; Phone: (802)728-5682
- Strafford Town Clerk, P.O. Box 27, Strafford, VT 05072 ; Phone: (802)765-4411
- Thetford Town Clerk, P.O. Box 126, Thetford Center, VT 05075
- Topsham Town Clerk, P.O. Box 69, Topsham, VT 05076 ; Phone: (802)439-5505
- Tunbridge Town Clerk, P.O. Box 6, Tunbridge, VT 05077 ; Phone: (802)889-5521
- Vershire Town Clerk, 6894 VT Rte 113, Vershire, VT 05079 ; Phone: (802)685-2227
- Washington Town Clerk, 2895 VT Rt. 110, Washington, VT 05675 ; Phone: (802)883-2218
- West Fairlee Town Clerk, P.O. Box 615, W. Fairlee, VT 05083 ; Phone: (802)333-9696
- Williamstown Town Clerk, P.O. Box 646, Williamstown, VT 05679 ; Phone: (802)433-5455
Orange County, Vermont Census Records
- Learn More: State of Vermont Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Orange County, Vermont Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Vermont Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Records: for most recent 5 years. For records over 5 years old see the Vermont State Archives below
- Locations: Vermont Department of Health, Vermont State Archives and Records Administration (VSARA)
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Vermont Department of Health, Vital Records Section, P.O. Box 70, 108 Cherry Street, Burlington, VT 05402; (802) 863-7275
Orange County, Vermont Resources
- Bradford Historical Society
- Braintree Historical Society, 33 Old Bass Road, Braintree, VT 05060 ; Phone: (802) 728-5272
- Brookfield Historical Society
- Chelsea Historical Society, 274 East Randolph Road, Chelsea, VT 05038; Phone: (802) 685-4447
- Corinth Historical Society, Inc.
- Fairlee Historical Society
- Newbury Historical Society, PO Box 115, Newbury, VT 05051; Phone: (802) 866-5979
- Randolph Historical Society, 17 Winnicooash Street, Laconia, NH 03246; Phone: (802) 728-9308 or (603) 524-4418
- Strafford Historical Society
- Thetford Historical Society
- Topsham Historical Society, PO Box 64, East Topsham, VT 05076; Phone: (802) 439-6339
- Tunbridge Historical Society
- Vershire Historical Society, PO Box 41, Vershire, VT 05079; Phone: (802) 685-3897 or (802) 333-9296
- West Fairlee Historical Society
- Williamstown Historical Society
- Orange County, Vermont Message Boards
Orange County, Vermont External Links
- Vermont Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from Vermont (1783–2006)
- Gazetteer of Orange County, Vt., 1762-1888
- Orange County, Vermont Books - Amazon
- Orange Co., Vermont - FindaGrave
- History of Newbury, Vermont : from the discovery of the Coös country to present time : with genealogical records of many famili
- A history of Bradford, Vermont : containing some account of the place, of its first settlement in 1765, and the principal impro
- The history of Braintree, Vermont
- Sketches of the town of Topsham, Orange County, Vermont, 1929
- 150th anniversary of the settlement of Newbury, Vermont : Old Home Week, August 11-16, 1912.
- Orange County, Vermont Links - Cyndi's List
- Orange Co. VTGenweb
- Orange County, Vermont Ancestry Database Collections
- Vermont, Enrolled Militia Records, 1861-1867 Index and images of Vermont enrolled militia records that identify thousands of young men who served in the military or who were eligible for service. Includes some corrected entries.
- Orange County, Vermont Military Records