Caledonia County, Vermont Records
Caledonia County is bordered by Orleans County (north), Essex County (northeast), Grafton County, New Hampshire (south), Washington County (southwest), Orange County (southwest), Lamoille County (west).
Cities, towns, and villages located in the county include Barnet, Burke, Danville, Groton, Hardwick, Kirby, Lyndon, Newark, Peacham, Ryegate, Sheffield, St. Johnsbury, Stannard, Sutton, Walden, Waterford, Wheelock.
The Town Maps of Caledonia County, Vermont contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Caledonia County, Vermont Courthouse Records
Each town clerk's office holds the original deed, vital, tax, and town meeting records. Included in town or proprietor's meeting records are such valuable sources as lists of freemen (new voters in town), annual election of officers, school records, hog or cattle marks, warnings out to those for whom the town will not assume legal responsibility, militia, and accounts of various town officials.
Even though the political division of county has little meaning in Vermont, there are some county land records, primarily for unorganized towns, and county court records located at the appropriate county office.
Town Clerks also has copies of vital records birth, marriage, civil unions, divorce and death records.
Caledonia County Courthouse, 1126 Main St, St Johnsbury, VT 05819; (802) 748-6600, has Land Records from 1797–1896 (county only) and Probate Records from 1796 to present.
- Barnet Town Clerk, P. O. Box 15, Barnet, VT 05821 ; Phone: (802)633-2256
- Burke Town Clerk, 212 School Street, W. Burke, VT 05871 ; Phone: (802)467-3717
- Danville Town Clerk, P.O. Box 183, Danville, VT 05828 ; Phone: (802)684-3352
- Groton Town Clerk, 314 Scott Highway, Groton, VT 05046 ; Phone: (802)584-3276
- Hardwick Town Clerk, P.O. Box 523, Hardwick, VT 05843 ; Phone: (802)472-5971
- Kirby Town Clerk, 346 Town Hall Road, Lyndonville, VT 05851 ; Phone: (802)626-9386
- Lyndon Town Clerk, P.O. Box 167, Lyndonville, VT 05851-0167; Phone: (802)626-5785
- Newark Town Clerk, 1336 Newark Street, Newark, VT 05871 ; Phone: (802)467-3336
- Peacham Town Clerk, P.O. Box 244, Peacham, VT 05862 ; Phone: (802)592-3218
- Ryegate Town Clerk, P. O. Box 332, Ryegate, VT 050420332; Phone: (802)584-3880
- Saint Johnsbury Town Clerk, 1187 Main Street,Suite 2, St. Johnsbury, VT 05819 ; Phone: (802)748-4331
- Sheffield Town Clerk, P.O. Box 165, Sheffield, VT 05866 ; Phone: (802)626-8862
- Stannard Town Clerk, P.O. Box 94, Greensboro Bend, VT 05842 ; Phone: (802)533-2577
- Sutton Town Clerk, P.O. Box 106, Sutton, VT 05867 ; Phone: (802)467-3377
- Walden Town Clerk, 12 VT RTE 215, W. Danville, VT 05873-9859; Phone: (802)563-2220
- Waterford Town Clerk, P.O. Box 56, Lower Waterford, VT 05848 ; Phone: (802)748-2122
- Wheelock Town Clerk, P.O. Box 1328, Lyndonville, VT 05851 ; Phone: (802)626-9094
Caledonia County, Vermont Census Records
- Learn More: State of Vermont Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Caledonia County, Vermont Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Vermont Vital Records
- Birth, Marriage, Divorce and Death Records: for most recent 5 years. For records over 5 years old see the Vermont State Archives below
- Locations: Vermont Department of Health, Vermont State Archives and Records Administration (VSARA)
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Vermont Department of Health, Vital Records Section, P.O. Box 70, 108 Cherry Street, Burlington, VT 05402; (802) 863-7275
Caledonia County, Vermont Resources
- Barnet Historical Society
- Burke Historical Society, c/o Burke Mountain Club, PO Box 309, East Burke, VT 05832; Phone: (802) 626-9823
- Danville Historical Society
- Groton Historical Society
- Hardwick Historical Society, PO Box 177, 47 Depot Street, Hardwick, VT 05843; Phone:(802) 472-8555
- Lyndon Historical Society
- Peacham Historical Association
- Ryegate Historical Society, PO Box 366, Ryegate, VT 05042 ; Phone: (802) 584-3520
- Saint Johnsbury Historical Society, c/o St. Johnsbury Athenaeum, 1171 Main Street, St. Johnsbury, VT 05819 ; Phone: (802) 748-8291 or (802) 748-2372
- Sheffield Historical Society, 37 Dane Road, Sheffield, VT 05866; Phone:(802) 626-8013
- Stannard Historical Society, 92 Old Pasture Road, Greensboro Bend, VT 05842; Phone: (802) 533-2561
- Walden Historical Committee, PO Box 54, West Danville, Vt 05873; Phone: (802) 563-2472
- Caledonia County, Vermont Message Boards
Caledonia County, Vermont External Links
- Vermont Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from Vermont (1783–2006)
- Caledonia County, Vermont Books - Amazon
- Caledonia Co., Vermont - FindaGrave
- Information found in an old family Bible belonging to Charles Zalmon Wheaton of Passumpsic, Vermont
- History of Barnet, Vermont : from the outbreak of the French and Indian War to present time
- History of Ryegate, Vermont : from its settlement by the Scotch-American company of farmers to present time : with genealogical
- The town of St. Johnsbury, Vt.
- An historical pamphlet
- Caledonia County, Vermont Links - Cyndi's List
- Caledonia Co. VTGenweb
- Caledonia County, Vermont Ancestry Database Collections
- Soldiers' record of the town of St. Johnsbury, Vermont in the War of the Rebellion, 1861-5
- Caledonia County, Vermont Military Records
- St. Johnsbury, Vermont Directory 1895-1896