Rhea County, Tennessee Records
Rhea County, Tennessee (Map It) was created on December 3, 1807 from Roane County This Rhea County was named in honor of U.S. Representative John Rhea (1753–1832).Learn More About State of Tennessee History
Rhea County Cities and Towns include Dayton, Graysville, Spring City .
A Map of Rhea County, Tennessee contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Rhea County, Tennessee Courthouse Records
Rhea County, TN Courthouse
The Rhea County Courthouse is located in Dayton, Tennessee. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Rhea county or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
There were fires at the Rhea County courthouse in 1869 and 1927.
- Rhea County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1808 and Probate Records from 1825.
- Rhea County Register of Deeds has Land & Deed Records from 1808.
- Rhea County Clerk of Circuit Court has Chancery Court Minutes from 1823, Circuit Court Minutes from 1815 and County Court Minutes 1823 .
- Rhea County Property Assessor has Tax Records from 1808, 1819, 1825, 1826, 1833, 1837, 1875, 1895-1898 and are located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Rhea County Health Department issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Rhea County, Tennessee Census Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1810 (part), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Rhea County, Tennessee Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1914 to present, also for Nashville since June 1881, for Knoxville since July 1881, and for Chattanooga since January 1882
- Marriage, Divorce and Death Records: from the past 50 years to present.
- Locations: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, Tennessee State Library and Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, 1st Floor, Central Services Building, 421 Fifth Avenue, North, Nashville, TN 37243; PH: 615-741-1763
Rhea County, Tennessee Resources
- State of Tennessee Archives and Societies
- Rhea County Historical & Genealogical Society, 4211 Wolf Creek Road, Po Box 31 , Dayton, Tennessee 37321-0031
- Audrey Pack Memorial Library, 169 W. Rhea Ave., PO Box 382, Spring City, TN 37381 423-365-9757
- Bryan College, Library, 585 Bryan Drive, PO Box 7000, Dayton, TN 37321 423-775-7196
- Clyde W. Roddy Public Library, 371 First Ave., Dayton, TN 37321 423-755-8406
- W.G. Rhea Public Library, 400 West Washington Street, Paris, TN 38242 731-642-1702
- RAOGK Volunteers for Tennessee
- Rhea County, Tennessee Message Boards
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Rhea County
Rhea County, Tennessee External Links
- Tennessee Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from Tennessee (1795 - 1929 )
- Tennessee Newspaper List by County and City
- Rhea County, Tennessee Books - Amazon
- Tennessee Real Estate Assessment Data Property Search
- Rhea County Records on Microfilm - Order County Microfilm Inventories and Reels
- Early Rhea County Records Available on Interlibrary Loan
- Rhea Co., Tennessee - FindaGrave
- Rhea County History and Culture
- Rhea County, Tennessee Links - Cyndi's List
- Rhea Co. TNGenweb
- Rhea County, Tennessee Ancestry Database Collections
- Rhea Co. D.O.T. County Highway Map
- Rhea County, Tennessee Military Records