Monroe County, Tennessee Records
Monroe County, Tennessee (Map It) was created on November 13, 1819 from lands formerly belonging to the Overhill Cherokees. This Monroe County was named in honor of U.S. President James Monroe (1758–1831).
Monroe County is bordered by Loudon County (north), Blount County (northeast), Graham County, North Carolina (east), Cherokee County, North Carolina (southeast), Polk County (southwest) and McMinn County (west) .
Monroe County Cities and Towns include Madisonville, Tellico Plains, Sweetwater, Vonore .
A Map of Monroe County, Tennessee contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Monroe County, Tennessee Courthouse Records
Monroe County, TN Courthouse
The Monroe County Courthouse is located in Madisonville, Tennessee. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Monroe county or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
There were fires at the Monroe County courthouse in the 1820s and 1960.
- Monroe County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1838 and Probate Records from 1836.
- Monroe County Register of Deeds has Land & Deed Records from 1820.
- Monroe County Clerk of Circuit Court has Chancery Court Minutes from 1832, Circuit Court Minutes from 1827 and County Court Minutes 1858.
- Monroe County Property Assessor has Tax Records from 1836, 1868, 1874, 1896, 1899, 1900 and are located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Monroe County Health Department issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Monroe County, Tennessee Census Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Monroe County, Tennessee Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1914 to present, also for Nashville since June 1881, for Knoxville since July 1881, and for Chattanooga since January 1882
- Marriage, Divorce and Death Records: from the past 50 years to present.
- Locations: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, Tennessee State Library and Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, 1st Floor, Central Services Building, 421 Fifth Avenue, North, Nashville, TN 37243; PH: 615-741-1763
Monroe County, Tennessee Resources
- State of Tennessee Archives and Societies
- Monroe County Archives, 105 College Street, Madisonville , TN 37354; Phone: (615) 442-3981
- Madisonville Public Library, 884 Englewood Road Suite A, Madisonville, TN 37354 423-442-4085
- Sweetwater Public Library, 210 Mayes Avenue, Sweetwater, TN 37874 423-337-5274
- Vonore Historical Society, c/o Vonore Public Library, 611 Church Street, Vonore, TN 37885 423-884-6729
- RAOGK Volunteers for Tennessee
- Monroe County, Tennessee Message Boards
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Monroe County
Monroe County, Tennessee External Links
- Tennessee Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from Tennessee (1795 - 1929 )
- Tennessee Newspaper List by County and City
- Monroe County, Tennessee Books - Amazon
- Tennessee Real Estate Assessment Data Property Search
- Monroe County Records on Microfilm - Order County Microfilm Inventories and Reels
- Early Monroe County Records Available on Interlibrary Loan
- Monroe Co., Tennessee - FindaGrave
- Monroe County History and Culture
- Monroe County, Tennessee Links - Cyndi's List
- Monroe Co. TNGenweb
- Monroe County, Tennessee Ancestry Database Collections
- Monroe Co. D.O.T. County Highway Map
- Monroe County, Tennessee Military Records