Marion County, Tennessee Records
Marion County, Tennessee (Map It) was created on November 20, 1817 from Cherokee Indian lands. This Marion County was named in honor of Francis Marion (1732–1795), the "Swamp Fox" of the American Revolutionary War.
Marion County is bordered by Grundy County (north), Sequatchie County (northeast), Hamilton County (east), Dade County, Georgia (southeast), Jackson County, Alabama (southwest) and Franklin County (west) .
Marion County Cities and Towns include Jasper, Kimball, New Hope, Orme, Powells Crossroads, South Pittsburg, Whitwell .
A Map of Marion County, Tennessee contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Marion County, Tennessee Courthouse Records
Marion County, TN Courthouse
The Marion County Courthouse is located in Jasper, Tennessee. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Marion county or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
There was a fire at the Marion County courthouse in 1922, destroying some early records.
- Marion County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1881 and Probate Records from 1875.
- Marion County Register of Deeds has Land & Deed Records from 1819.
- Marion County Clerk of Circuit Court has Chancery Court Minutes from 1922, Circuit Court Minutes from 1922 and County Court Minutes 1842.
- Marion County Property Assessor has Tax Records from 1836, 1875 and are located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Marion County Health Department issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Marion County, Tennessee Census Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Marion County, Tennessee Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1914 to present, also for Nashville since June 1881, for Knoxville since July 1881, and for Chattanooga since January 1882
- Marriage, Divorce and Death Records: from the past 50 years to present.
- Locations: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, Tennessee State Library and Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, 1st Floor, Central Services Building, 421 Fifth Avenue, North, Nashville, TN 37243; PH: 615-741-1763
Marion County, Tennessee Resources
- State of Tennessee Archives and Societies
- Marion County Genealogical & Historical Group, 6611 Old Dunlap Road, Whitwell, TN 37397; (423) 658-5770
- Orena Humphreys Public Library, 900 Main Street, Suite 1, Whitwell, TN 37397 423-658-6134
- RAOGK Volunteers for Tennessee
- Marion County, Tennessee Message Boards
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Marion County
Marion County, Tennessee External Links
- Tennessee Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from Tennessee (1795 - 1929 )
- Tennessee Newspaper List by County and City
- Marion County, Tennessee Books - Amazon
- Tennessee Real Estate Assessment Data Property Search
- Marion County Records on Microfilm - Order County Microfilm Inventories and Reels
- Early Marion County Records Available on Interlibrary Loan
- Marion Co., Tennessee - FindaGrave
- Marion County History and Culture
- Marion County, Tennessee Links - Cyndi's List
- Marion Co. TNGenweb
- Marion County, Tennessee Ancestry Database Collections
- Marion Co. D.O.T. County Highway Map
- Marion County, Tennessee Military Records