Kershaw County, South Carolina Records
Kershaw County, South Carolina (Map It) was created on 1798 from Claremont County, Fairfield County, Lancaster County, and Richland County. The county was named in honor of Joseph Kershaw, one of the county's pioneering settlers ..
Kershaw County is bordered by Lancaster County (north), Chesterfield County (northeast), Darlington County (east), Lee County (southeast), Sumter County (southeast), Richland County (southwest), Fairfield County (west).
Kershaw County Cities and Towns include Antioch, Bethune, Boykin, Camden, Cassatt, Elgin, Kershaw, Liberty Hill, Lugoff, Westville.
A Map of Kershaw County, South Carolina contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Kershaw County, South Carolina Courthouse Records
Kershaw County, SC Courthouse
Old Kershaw County Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Kershaw county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
Major loss of equity records resulted from the negligence of Thomas P. Evans, commissioner in equity from 1822-1829. Records of Camden Circuit Court and Equity Circuit districts are housed in Kershaw County.
- Kershaw County Register of Deeds has Land Records from 1787. The County Register of Deeds records and maintain deeds, mortgages, plats, state and federal tax liens, mechanics liens, uniform commercial code filings, and other miscellaneous documents pertaining to real estate transactions.
- Kershaw County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1911 and Probate Records from 1782. The County Clerk of Probate Court has original jurisdiction over actions concerning the issuance of marriage licenses, the estate of a deceased person, the will of an individual, the estate of a minor or incapacitated person, trusts, and involuntary commitments.
- Kershaw County Clerk of Court has Court Records from 1783 and Divorce Records from since April 1949. The County Clerk of Court is divided into General Sessions and Common Pleas Court. The Circuit Court is a formal court of record.
- Kershaw County Tax Assessor / Collector is responsible for the collection of taxes. Our office does not calculate a property’s taxable value (Assessor’s Office).
- Kershaw County Health Department has birth and death records from 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk's office.
Kershaw County, South Carolina Census Records
- Learn More: State of South Carolina Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Kershaw County, South Carolina Vital Records
- Learn More: State of South Carolina Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1915 to present
- Marriage Records: from July 1950 to present. Contact the Office of Probate for earlier records.
- Divorce Records: from July 1962 to present. Contact the Clerk of Court for earlier records.
- Locations: South Carolina Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth and Death Certificate or Marriage and Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: List of Vital Records Services Office locations
Kershaw County, South Carolina Resources
- Kershaw County Historical Society
- Camden Archives and Museum
- Historic Camden Foundation/Historic Camden Revolutionary War
- Catawba-Wateree chapter of the South Carolina Genealogical Society
- Kershaw County, South Carolina Message Boards
Kershaw County, South Carolina External Links
- South Carolina Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from South Carolina (1783 - 1975 )
- Kershaw County, South Carolina Books - Amazon
- South Carolina Archives Summary Guide to Kershaw County Records
- Kershaw Co., South Carolina - FindaGrave
- Historic Camden
- A History of Kershaw County
- Kershaw County History
- Kershaw County, South Carolina Links - Cyndi's List
- Kershaw Co. SCGenweb
- Kershaw County, South Carolina Ancestry Database Collections
- South Carolina Revolutionary War Units
- Kershaw County, South Carolina Military Records
- Directory of Scots in the Carolinas, 1680-1830