Darlington County, South Carolina Records
Darlington County Cities and Towns include Darlington, Hartsville, Lamar, North Hartsville, Society Hill. A Map of Darlington County, South Carolina contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Darlington County, South Carolina Courthouse Records
Darlington County, SC Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Darlington county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
A courthouse fire on 19 March 1806 destroyed most of Darlington County's records with the exception of early probate files; this fire also destroyed the early records of the Cheraw Judicial District. The negligence of a local district ordinary also resulted in the subsequent destruction of a portion of loose probate papers.
- Darlington County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1911 and Probate Records from 1783. The County Clerk of Probate Court has original jurisdiction over actions concerning the issuance of marriage licenses, the estate of a deceased person, the will of an individual, the estate of a minor or incapacitated person, trusts, and involuntary commitments.
- Darlington County County Clerk of Court / Register of Deeds has Court Records from 1803, Divorce Records from since April 1949 and Land Records from 1801. The County Clerk of Court / Register of Deeds is divided into General Sessions and Common Pleas Court. The Circuit Court is a formal court of record. It records and maintain deeds, mortgages, plats, state and federal tax liens, mechanics liens, uniform commercial code filings, and other miscellaneous documents pertaining to real estate transactions.
- Darlington County Tax Assessor / Collector is responsible for the collection of taxes. Our office does not calculate a property’s taxable value (Assessor’s Office).
- Darlington County Health Department has birth and death records from 1915. Marriage records prior to 1950 are available from the Probate Court office. Divorce records since April 1949 are available from the County Clerk's office.
Darlington County, South Carolina Census Records
- Learn More: State of South Carolina Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Darlington County, South Carolina Vital Records
- Learn More: State of South Carolina Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1915 to present
- Marriage Records: from July 1950 to present. Contact the Office of Probate for earlier records.
- Divorce Records: from July 1962 to present. Contact the Clerk of Court for earlier records.
- Locations: South Carolina Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth and Death Certificate or Marriage and Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: List of Vital Records Services Office locations
Darlington County, South Carolina Resources
- Old Darlington Genealogical Society
- Darlington County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 175, Hartsville 29551
- Darlington County Historical Society, P. O. Box 546, Darlington, SC 29532; Telephone: (843) 398-4940
- Darlington County Historical Commission
- Hartsville Museum
- Darlington County, South Carolina Message Boards
Darlington County, South Carolina External Links
- Historical Newspapers from South Carolina (1783 - 1975 )
- Darlington County, South Carolina Books - Amazon
- South Carolina Archives Summary Guide to Darlington County Records
- Darlington Co., South Carolina - FindaGrave
- A History of Darlington County
- Darlington County History
- Darlington County, South Carolina Links - Cyndi's List
- Darlington Co. SCGenweb
- Darlington County, South Carolina Ancestry Database Collections
- South Carolina Revolutionary War Units
- Darlington County, South Carolina Military Records
- Directory of Scots in the Carolinas, 1680-1830