Franklin County, Pennsylvania Records
Franklin County, Pennsylvania (Map It) was created on September 9, 1784 from Cumberland County. The county was named in honor of Benjamin Franklin, key founding father of the United States.
Franklin County is bordered by Juniata County (north), Perry County (northeast), Cumberland County (northeast), Adams County (east), Frederick County, Maryland (southeast), Washington County, Maryland (south), Fulton County (west), Huntingdon County (northwest). A Map of Franklin County, Pennsylvania contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Franklin County Townships include Antrim, Fannett, Greene, Guilford, Hamilton, Letterkenny, Lurgan, Metal, Montgomery, Peters, Quincy, Southampton, St. Thomas, Warren, Washington.
Franklin County Boroughs include Chambersburg, Greencastle, Mercersburg, Molto, Orrstown, Shippensburg (partial), Waynesboro. See also Franklin County Municipalities Incorporation Dates.
MapGeeks.org has is a collection of old Pennsylvania maps.
Franklin County, Pennsylvania Courthouse Records
The Franklin County Courthouse is located in Chambersburg, Pennsylvania. Learn More About State of Pennsylvania Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Franklin county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Franklin County Recorder of Deeds has Land Records from 1784.
- Franklin County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts has Court & Divorce Records from 1784.
- Franklin County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk has Marriage & Probate Records from 1784 and Birth & Death Records from before Jan 1906.
- Franklin County Tax Assessor Office has tax records.
Franklin County, Pennsylvania Census Records
- Learn More: State of Pennsylvania Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Franklin County, Pennsylvania Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Pennsylvania Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: 1906 to present.
- Marriage Records: does not have marriage records. The marriage records should be available in the County Court House.
- Divorce Records: does not have marriage records. The marriage records should be available in the County Court House.
- Locations: Pennsylvania Office of Vital Statistics, Pennsylvania State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Division of Vital Records, 101 South Mercer Street, Central Building, Room 401, New Castle, PA 16103; PH (724) 656-3100
Franklin County, Pennsylvania Resources
- Pennsylvania Archives - Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission series contains records of pennsylvania, from 1664 to 1780, and includes military, marriage, tax and land records. This is a Free Database.
- Franklin Counry Achives
- Franklin County Historical Society
- Franklin County, Pennsylvania Message Boards
Franklin County, Pennsylvania External Links
- Pennsylvania Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Maps of Franklin County, Pennsylvania - PA D.O.T.
- Historical Newspapers from Pennsylvania (1719 - 1997)
- Scrapbook of newspaper clippings on Venango and Franklin Counties, 1871-84
- Franklin County, Pennsylvania Books - Amazon
- Franklin Co., Pennsylvania - FindaGrave
- Mount Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church, Franklin County, Pennsylvania, 1834-1906
- Biographical annals of Franklin County, Pennsylvania
- History of Franklin County, Pennsylvania
- The history and topography of Dauphin, Cumberland, Franklin, Bedfordams, Perry, Somerset, Cambria & Indiana counties
- Medical men of Franklin County, 1750-1925
- Franklin County, Pennsylvania Links - Cyndi's List
- Franklin Co. PAGenweb
- Franklin Co. Data Collections
- American Revolutionary soldiers of Franklin County, Pennnsylvania
- Reminiscences of the war, or, Incidents which transpired in and about Chambersburg during the War of the Rebellion
- Franklin County, Pennsylvania Military Records