Scott County, Tennessee Records
Scott County, Tennessee (Map It) was created on December 17, 1849 from Anderson County, Campbell County, Fentress County and Morgan County. This Scott County was named in honor of US. Army general and hero of the Mexican-American War Winfield Scott (1786–1866).
Scott County Cities and Towns include Helenwood, Huntsville, Oneida, Winfield .
A Map of Scott County, Tennessee contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Scott County, Tennessee Courthouse Records
Scott County, TN Courthouse
The Scott County Courthouse is located in Huntsville, Tennessee. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Scott county or in the Tennessee State Library & Archives. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
There was a fire at the Scott County courthouse in 1946 and many court house records were lost.
- Scott County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1854 and Probate Records from 1892.
- Scott County Register of Deeds has Land & Deed Records from 1850.
- Scott County Clerk of Circuit Court has Chancery Court Minutes from 1858, Circuit Court Minutes from 1850 and County Court Minutes 1856.
- Scott County Property Assessor has Tax Records from 1875-1887, 1888-1900 and are located at the Tennessee State Library and Archives. Tax lists can be used to locate families, document historic properties and study community history. Early tax lists generally include all white males over 21 and indicate whether they owned land or slaves.
- Scott County Health Department issues birth certificates and death certificates (deaths which occurred in that county within the past three years, and a few county health departments keep death records for longer periods of time).
Scott County, Tennessee Census Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Scott County, Tennessee Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Tennessee Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1914 to present, also for Nashville since June 1881, for Knoxville since July 1881, and for Chattanooga since January 1882
- Marriage, Divorce and Death Records: from the past 50 years to present.
- Locations: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, Tennessee State Library and Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Tennessee Office of Vital Records, 1st Floor, Central Services Building, 421 Fifth Avenue, North, Nashville, TN 37243; PH: 615-741-1763
Scott County, Tennessee Resources
- State of Tennessee Archives and Societies
- East Tennessee Historical Society
- Scott County Genealogy and Historical Societies
- Oneida Public Library, 290 South Main Street, Oneida, TN 37841 423-569-8634
- RAOGK Volunteers for Tennessee
- Scott County, Tennessee Message Boards
- Genealogical "Fact Sheets" About Scott County
Scott County, Tennessee External Links
- Historical Newspapers from Tennessee (1795 - 1929 )
- Tennessee Newspaper List by County and City
- Scott County, Tennessee Books - Amazon
- Tennessee Real Estate Assessment Data Property Search
- Scott County Records on Microfilm - Order County Microfilm Inventories and Reels
- Early Scott County Records Available on Interlibrary Loan
- Scott Co., Tennessee - FindaGrave
- Scott County History and Culture
- Scott County, Tennessee Links - Cyndi's List
- Scott Co. TNGenweb
- Scott County, Tennessee Ancestry Database Collections
- Scott Co. D.O.T. County Highway Map
- Scott County, Tennessee Military Records