Bedford County, Pennsylvania Records
Bedford County, Pennsylvania (Map It) was created on March 9, 1771, from part of Cumberland County. The county was named in honor of Fort Bedford, which is named for John Russell, 4th Duke of Bedford.
Bedford County is bordered by Blair County (north), Huntingdon County (northeast), Fulton County (east), Allegany County, Maryland (southwest), Somerset County (west), Cambria County (northwest). A Map of Bedford County, Pennsylvania contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Bedford County Townships include Bedford, Bloomfield, Broad Top, Colerain, Cumberland Valley, East Providence, East St. Clair, Harrison, Hopewell, Juniata, Kimmel, King, Liberty, Lincoln, Londonderry, Mann, Monroe, Napier, Pavia, Snake Spring, South Woodbury, Southampton, West Providence, West St. Clair, Woodbury.
Bedford County Boroughs include Bedford, Coaldale, Everett, Hopewell, Hyndman, Manns Choice, New Paris, Pleasantville, Rainsburg, St. Clairsville, Saxton, Schellsburg, Woodbury. See also Bedford County Municipalities Incorporation Dates.
MapGeeks.org has is a collection of old Pennsylvania maps.
Bedford County, Pennsylvania Courthouse Records
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Bedford county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Bedford County Recorder of Deeds has Land Records from 1771.
- Bedford County Prothonotary / Clerk of Courts has Court & Divorce Records from 1771.
- Bedford County Register of Wills/ Orphan's Court Clerk has Marriage & Probate Records from 1771 and Birth & Death Records from before Jan 1906.
- Bedford County Tax Assessor Office has tax records.
Bedford County, Pennsylvania Census Records
- Learn More: State of Pennsylvania Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Bedford County, Pennsylvania Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Pennsylvania Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: 1906 to present.
- Marriage Records: does not have marriage records. The marriage records should be available in the County Court House.
- Divorce Records: does not have marriage records. The marriage records should be available in the County Court House.
- Locations: Pennsylvania Office of Vital Statistics, Pennsylvania State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Division of Vital Records, 101 South Mercer Street, Central Building, Room 401, New Castle, PA 16103; PH (724) 656-3100