Belmont County, Ohio Records
Belmont County, Ohio (Map It) was created on September 7, 1801 from Jefferson County and Washington County. This county was named for Belle monte, which means "beautiful mountain" in French .
Belmont County is bordered by Harrison County (north), Jefferson County (northeast), Ohio County, West Virginia (east), Marshall County, West Virginia (southeast), Monroe County (south), Noble County (southwest), Guernsey County (west).
A Map of Belmont County, Ohio contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Belmont County Cities and Towns include Martins Ferry, St. Clairsville, Barnesville, Bellaire, Belmont, Bethesda, Bridgeport, Brookside, Fairview, Flushing, Holloway, Morristown, Powhatan Point, Shadyside, Wilson, Yorkville. Other communities include Alledonia, Bannock, Barton, Blaine, Colerain, Fairpoint, Glencoe, Jacobsburg, Lafferty, Lansing, Maynard, Riverview, Warnock.
Belmont County Townships include Colerain, Flushing, Goshen, Kirkwood, Mead, Pease, Pultney, Richland, Smith, Somerset, Union, Warren, Washington, Wayne, Wheeling, York.
Belmont County, Ohio Courthouse Records
Belmont County, OH Courthouse
The Belmont County Courthouse is located in St. Clairsville, Ohio. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Belmont county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Belmont County Clerk of Probate Court has Marriage Records from 1803 and Probate Records from 1804.
- Belmont County Recorder has Land Records from 1800.
- Belmont County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas has Court Records from 1804.
- The Belmont County Health Department has Birth & Death Records from 1908-Present. For birth and death records prior to Dec. 20, 1908, contact the Probate Court of this county.
Belmont County, Ohio Census Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1810 (destroyed), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Belmont County, Ohio Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Ohio Vital Records
- Birth Records: from 1908 to present
- Marriage Records: None. See County Probate Court.
- Death Records: from 1954 to present
- Divorce Records: None. See County Clerk of Court of Common Pleas.
- Locations: Ohio Office of Vital Statistics, Ohio Local Health Departments
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Belmont County, Ohio Resources
- State of Ohio Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Ohio
- Belmont County Chapter, OGS
- Belmont County Historical Society, PO Box 434, Barnesville, OH 43713-0434; Phone: (740) 484-4716
- Martins Ferry Area Historical Society
- Underground Railroad Museum
- Belmont County, Ohio Message Boards
- Belmont County, Ohio Genealogy Boards
Belmont County, Ohio External Links
- Ohio Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from Ohio (1802 - 1970)
- Belmont County, Ohio Books - Amazon
- Belmont Co., Ohio - FindaGrave
- Belmont County, Ohio Links - Cyndi's List
- Belmont Co. OHGenweb
- Belmont County, Ohio Ancestry Database Collections
- Ohio Military Records