Greene County, Missouri Records
Greene County, Missouri (Map It) was created on January 2, 1833 from Crawford County and Wayne County. The county was named in honor of Nathanael Greene (1742-1786), a major general of the Continental Army in the American Revolutionary War.
Greene County is bordered by Polk County (north), Dallas County (northeast), Webster County (east), Christian County (south), Lawrence County (southwest), Dade County (northwest).
Greene County Cities and Towns include Ash Grove, Battlefield, Bois D'Arc, Ebenezer, Fair Grove, Logan, Mission Hills, Oak Grove Heights, Plano, Republic, Rogersville, Springfield, Strafford, Turners, Walnut Grove, Willard.
A Map of Greene County, Missouri contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Greene County, Missouri Courthouse Records
Greene County, MO Courthouse
The Greene County Courthouse is located in Springfield, Missouri. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Greene county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
A fire that destroyed the Courthouse on October 28, 1861
- Greene County Recorder of Deeds has Marriage Records from 1833 and Land Records from 1833.
- Greene County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has Probate Records from 1830 and Court & Divorce Records from 1833.
- Greene County Clerk of the Court has Birth & Death Records from 1883-1902.
- Greene County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Local Records Inventory Database, produced by the Missouri Local Records Preservation Program, is a compilation of inventories of local government records identified as having permanent or enduring value and housed primarily in county and municipal offices, but includes some libraries, museums, and historical and genealogical societies that maintain government records. Not all Missouri offices have been inventoried.
- Greene County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980
Greene County, Missouri Census Records
- Learn More: State of Missouri Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: 1844-1881
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Greene County, Missouri Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Missouri Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1910 to present
- Marriage Records: from July 1948 to present
- Divorce Records: from July 1948 to present
- Locations: Missouri Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, Bureau of Vital Records, Jefferson City, MO 65102, Telephone: 573-751-6387
Greene County, Missouri Resources
- RAOGK Volunteers for Missouri
- Greene County Archives & Records Center
- Greene County Historical Society
- Fair Grove Historical and Preservation Society
- History Museum for Springfield-Greene County
- Flower Pentecostal Heritage Center Assemblies of God Archives
- Ozarks Genealogical Society
- German-Austrian-Swiss Historical-Heritage Society of the Ozarks, 2214 East Cherryvale, Springfield, MO 65804-4524; Phone: (417) 883-8396
- General Sweenys Civil War Museum
- White River Valley Historical Society, P.O. Box 555, Point Lookout, MO 65726
- Greene County, Missouri Message Boards
- Greene County, Missouri Genealogy Boards
Greene County, Missouri External Links
- Missouri Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Greene County, Missouri Books - Amazon
- Greene Co., Missouri - FindaGrave
- A brief history of Greene County, Missouri
- Guide to Greene County and Municipal Records on Microfilm - Missouri State Archives
- Missouri Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Greene County, Missouri Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Missouri (1808 - 1922)
- Greene Co. MOGenweb
- Greene County, Missouri Ancestry Database Collections
- Greene County, Missouri Military Records