Cole County, Missouri Records
Cole County, Missouri (Map It) was created on November 16, 1820 from Cooper County. The county was named in honor of Jefferson City.
Cole County is bordered by Boone County (north), Callaway County (northeast), Osage County (southeast), Miller County (southwest), Moniteau County (northwest).
Cole County Cities and Towns include Jefferson City, Centertown, St. Martins, Wardsville, Taos, Russellville, Lohman, St. Thomas.
A Map of Cole County, Missouri contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Cole County, Missouri Courthouse Records
Cole County, MO Courthouse
The Cole County Courthouse is located in Jefferson City, Missouri. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Cole county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Cole County Recorder of Deeds has Marriage Records from 1821 and Land Records from 1821.
- Cole County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has Probate Records from 1834 and Court & Divorce Records from 1821.
- Cole County Clerk of the Court has Birth & Death Records from 1883-1906.
- Cole County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Local Records Inventory Database, produced by the Missouri Local Records Preservation Program, is a compilation of inventories of local government records identified as having permanent or enduring value and housed primarily in county and municipal offices, but includes some libraries, museums, and historical and genealogical societies that maintain government records. Not all Missouri offices have been inventoried.
- Cole County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980
Cole County, Missouri Census Records
- Learn More: State of Missouri Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: 1844-1881
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Cole County, Missouri Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Missouri Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1910 to present
- Marriage Records: from July 1948 to present
- Divorce Records: from July 1948 to present
- Locations: Missouri Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, Bureau of Vital Records, Jefferson City, MO 65102, Telephone: 573-751-6387
Cole County, Missouri Resources
- RAOGK Volunteers for Missouri
- Cole County Historical Society
- Missouri Society for Military History, 2007 Retention Drive, Jefferson City, MO 65101-1203
- Supreme Court of Missouri Historical Society, P.O. Box 448, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Missouri Mansion Preservation
- Genealogical Society of Central Missouri
- Missouri Forest Heritage Center, P.O. Box 104748, Jefferson City, MO 65110; Phone: (573) 634-6002
- Mid-Missouri Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 715, Jefferson City, MO 65102
- Cole County, Missouri Message Boards
- Cole County, Missouri Genealogy Boards
Cole County, Missouri External Links
- Missouri Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Cole County, Missouri Books - Amazon
- Cole Co., Missouri - FindaGrave
- Guide to Cole County and Municipal Records on Microfilm - Missouri State Archives
- Missouri Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Cole County, Missouri Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Missouri (1808 - 1922)
- Cole Co. MOGenweb
- Cole County, Missouri Ancestry Database Collections
- Cole County, Missouri Military Records