Clark County, Indiana Records
Clark County is bordered by Scott County (north), Jefferson County (northeast), White County (west), Floyd County (southwest), Miami County (east), Washington County (northwest), Oldam County, Kentucky (southeast), Jefferson County, Kentucky (south), Trimble County, Kentucky (southeast.
Clark County Cities and Towns include Borden, Charlestown, Clarksville, Jeffersonville, Sellersburg, Utica.
Clark County Townships include Bethlehem, Carr, Charlestown, Monroe, Oregon, Owen, Silver Creek, Union, Utica, Washington, Wood. See Map of Clark County Townships.
Clark County, Indiana Courthouse Records
Clark County, IN Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Clark county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Clark County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1807, Probate Records from 1801 and Court Records from 1801. The County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses, processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings.
- Clark County Recorder has Land Records from 1801. The County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Clark County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Clark County Department of Health has Birth & Death Records from 1882. The County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records.
Clark County, Indiana Census Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Clark County, Indiana Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Vital Records
- Birth Records: from October 1907 to present.
- Marriage Records: from 1958 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1900 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. See the County Clerk.
- Locations: Indiana State Department of Health, 2 North Meridian Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204; PH: (317) 233-1325
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Clark County, Indiana Resources
- State of Indiana Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Indiana
- Clark County Historian, Jeanne M. Burke, 5807 Stacy Road, Charlestown, IN 47111-9691; Home Phone: (812) 256-4685
- Clark County Historical Society / Howard Steamboat Museum
- Borden Institute Historical Society, P.O. Box 183, Borden, IN 47106-0183; Phone: (812) 923-5466
- Clark's Grant Historical Society, 8524 Highway 403, Charlestown, IN 47111-8748
- Clarksville Historical Society
- Southern Indiana Genealogical Society
- Clark County, Indiana Message Boards
Clark County, Indiana External Links
- Indiana Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Clark County, Indiana Books - Amazon
- Internet Archives online books for Clark County
- Clark County Newspaper Holdings at the Indiana State Library
- Clark Co., Indiana - FindaGrave
- Indiana Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Clark County, Indiana Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Indiana (1817 - 1930)
- Clark Co. INGenweb
- Clark County, Indiana Ancestry Database Collections
- Clark County, Indiana Military Records