Miami County, Indiana Records
Miami County, Indiana (Map It) was created on March 1, 1834 from Cass County and Unorganized Land. This county was named for Miami Native American people .
Miami County is bordered by Fulton County (north), Wabash County (east), Grant County (southeast), Howard County (south), Cass County (west).
Miami County Cities and Towns include Amboy, Bunker Hill, Converse, Denver, Macy, Mexico, Peru.
Miami County Townships include Allen, Butler, Clay, Deer Creek, Erie, Harrison, Jackson, Jefferson, Perry, Peru, Pipe Creek, Richland, Union, Washington. See Map of Miami County Townships.
MapGeeks.org has is a collection of old Indiana maps.
Miami County, Indiana Courthouse Records
Miami County, IN Courthouse
The Miami County Courthouse is located in Peru, Indiana. Courthouse destroyed by Fire in Mar. 1843, All records destroyed--deeds from 1828 survived. Learn More About State of Indiana Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Miami county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Miami County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1843, Probate Records from 1843 and Court Records from ?. The County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses, processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings.
- Miami County Recorder has Land Records from 1836. The County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Miami County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Miami County Department of Health has Birth & Death Records from 1882. The County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records.
Miami County, Indiana Census Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: None
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Miami County, Indiana Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Vital Records
- Birth Records: from October 1907 to present.
- Marriage Records: from 1958 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1900 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. See the County Clerk.
- Locations: Indiana State Department of Health, 2 North Meridian Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204; PH: (317) 233-1325
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Miami County, Indiana Resources
- State of Indiana Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Indiana
- Miami County Historian, Kreig Adkins, P.O. Box 414, Peru, IN 46970-0414; Home Phone: (765) 472-3987
- Miami Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 542, Peru, IN 46970
- Miami County Historical Society
- Miami Nation of Indians of the State of Indiana
- Miami County, Indiana Message Boards
Miami County, Indiana External Links
- Indiana Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Miami County, Indiana Books - Amazon
- Internet Archives online books for Miami County
- Miami County Newspaper Holdings at the Indiana State Library
- Miami Co., Indiana - FindaGrave
- Indiana Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Miami County, Indiana Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Indiana (1817 - 1930)
- Miami Co. INGenweb
- Miami County, Indiana Ancestry Database Collections
- Miami County, Indiana Military Records