Wabash County, Indiana Records
Wabash County, Indiana (Map It) was created on March 1, 1835 from Adams New Purchase and Unorganized Land. Wabash County was named for the Wabash River.
Wabash County Cities and Towns include La Fontaine, Lagro, Liberty Mills, North Manchester, Roann, Wabash.
Wabash County Townships include Chester, Lagro, Liberty, Noble, Paw Paw, Pleasant, Waltz. See Map of Wabash County Townships.
Wabash County, Indiana Courthouse Records
Wabash County, IN Courthouse
The Wabash County Courthouse is located in Wabash, Indiana. Courthouse destroyed by Fire in Apr. 1870, Saved: treasurer's, auditor's, recorder's and clerk's records. Learn More About State of Indiana Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Wabash county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Wabash County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1835, Probate Records from 1847 and Court Records from ?. The County Clerk responsiblities include administering Court Records of all Court Cases, prepares the Court's permanent historical record, performs marriage ceremonies, process marriage applications and issue marriage licenses, processes and distributes documents for court cases, and keeps a record of all wills and matters of trust in probate proceedings.
- Wabash County Recorder has Land Records from 1835. The County Recorder maintains, preserves and Records Deeds, Mortgages, Assignments, Releases, Powers of Attorney, Real Estate Contracts, Annexations, Trustee Elections, Affidavits, Final Decrees, Surveys, Federal Tax Liens, Mechanics Liens, Military Discharges, Articles of Incorporation, Cemetery Deeds, Bonds, Plats, Condominiums, Firms Doing Business Under Assumed Names, Delinquent Sewer Liens, and Miscellaneous Instruments.
- Wabash County Treasurer's Office is responsible for collecting taxes. The treasurer also receives distributions of local income and other taxes that are collected by the state such as real estate tax, personal property tax, mobile home tax, state assessed tax, and the following miscellaneous taxes: auto excise tax, inheritance tax, and innkeeper's tax.
- Wabash County Department of Health has Birth & Death Records from 1899. The County Department of Health maintains and provides Certified Birth and Death Records.
Wabash County, Indiana Census Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: None
- State Population Schedules: None
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Wabash County, Indiana Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Indiana Vital Records
- Birth Records: from October 1907 to present.
- Marriage Records: from 1958 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1900 to present.
- Divorce Records: None. See the County Clerk.
- Locations: Indiana State Department of Health, 2 North Meridian Street, Indianapolis, IN 46204; PH: (317) 233-1325
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Wabash County, Indiana Resources
- State of Indiana Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Indiana
- Wabash County Historian, Ronald L. Woodward, 574 Ferry St., Wabash, IN 46992-2306, Home Phone: (260) 563-2794
- North Manchester Center for History
- Wabash County Genealogical Society
- Wabash County Historical Society, P.O. Box 4, Wabash, IN 46992-0004
- Wabash Valley Genealogical Society
- Wabash County Historical Museum
- Wabash County, Indiana Message Boards
Wabash County, Indiana External Links
- Indiana Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Wabash County, Indiana Books - Amazon
- Internet Archives online books for Wabash County
- Wabash County Newspaper Holdings at the Indiana State Library
- Wabash Co., Indiana - FindaGrave
- Indiana Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Wabash County, Indiana Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Indiana (1817 - 1930)
- Wabash Co. INGenweb
- Wabash County, Indiana Ancestry Database Collections
- Wabash County, Indiana Military Records