Alachua County, Florida Records
Alachua County, Florida (Map It) was created on December 29, 1824 from Duval County and Saint Johns County. Alachua County name is derived from the native name of a chasm located northwest of Gainesville.
Alachua County is bordered by Bradford County (north), Union County (north), Putnam County (east), Marion County (southeast), Levy County (southwest), Gilchrist County (west), Columbia County (northwest).
Alachua County Cities and Towns include Alachua, Archer, Gainesville, Hawthorne, High Springs, Newberry, Waldo, LaCrosse, Micanopy.
A Map of Alachua County, Florida contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Alachua Co. Historical Events:
- This section was visited by both Ponce de Leon and DeSoto and was the scene of much conflict during the early colonial strife, the Seminole Indian War and the Civil War.
- Chief Osceola was captured here and this had much to do with shortening the Seminole conflict.
- William Bartram, the botanist and traveler, spent some time in this area in 1774.
- A Federal force that had taken possession of Gainesville was defeated August 18, 1864, and driven out with a loss of over 200 by Capt. J. J. Dickison with a small Confederate force.
Alachua County, Florida Courthouse Records
Alachua County, FL Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Alachua county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Alachua County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1837, Land Records from 1826, Probate Records from 1840 and Court Records from 1850. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Alachua County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Alachua County Health Department has copies of Birth & Death certificates. Also has computer access from 1917 to present for birth records for the entire state as well as births that occurred in this county.
Alachua County, Florida Census Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1830 (Florida Territory), 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1820-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1867-1945, 1885
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Alachua County, Florida Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from June 6, 1927 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Locations: Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 210, 1217 Pearl Street (Zip 32202), Jacksonville, FL 32231-0042; PH (904) 359-6900 Ext. 1029.
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Alachua County, Florida Resources
- State of Florida Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Florida
- Alachua County Genealogical Society
- Alachua County Library District
- Alachua County Archives
- Archer Historical Society
- Historic Gainesville, Inc.
- Micanopy Historical Society
- Alachua County, Florida Message Boards
Alachua County, Florida External Links
- Florida Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Alachua County, Florida Books - Amazon
- Alachua Co., Florida - FindaGrave
- Florida Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Alachua County Courthouse History
- Alachua County History
- Alachua County, Florida Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Florida (1823 - 1959)
- Alachua Co. FLGenweb
- Alachua County, Florida Ancestry Database Collections
- Alachua County maps from Exploring Florida website
- Alachua County, Florida Military Records