Columbia County, Florida Records
Columbia County is bordered by Clinch County, Georgia (north), Union County (east), Baker County (east), Alachua County (southeast), Gilchrist County (southwest), Hamilton County (west), Suwannee County (west), Echols County, Georgia (northwest).
Columbia County Cities and Towns include Lake City, Fort White..
A Map of Columbia County, Florida contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Columbia Co. Historical Events:
- This country was thickly settled by Seminoles, who had replaced or absorbed the earlier Indian tribes.
- The Spanish Road from St. Augustine to St. Marks passed through here.
- After the war many settlers came in and established a prosperous agricultural civilization.
- Lake City incorporated January 15, 1859.
- General Charles P. Summerall born at Lake City, March 4, 1867.
Columbia County, Florida Courthouse Records
Columbia County, FL Courthouse
The Columbia County Courthouse is located in Lake City, Florida. Numerous prior courthouses, most if not all constructed from logs, fell victim to arsonists in 1848, 1860, 1867, and 1874. Most early records were destroyed. Learn More About State of Florida Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Columbia county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Columbia County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk has Marriage Records from 1876, Land Records from 1871, Probate Records from 1868 and Court Records from 1895. The County Clerk of the Circuit Court / County Clerk is custodian of all records of all predecessor courts, whether justice of the peace, city, county, probate, civil, or criminal.
- Columbia County Tax Collector collects all real estate taxes including postponed and delinquent, all county revenues in addition to the research and issue tax deed applications. Our department is the holder of tax records and assessed values.
- Columbia County Health Department has copies of Birth & Death certificates. Also has computer access from 1917 to present for birth records for the entire state as well as births that occurred in this county.
Columbia County, Florida Census Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1820-1890
- State Population Schedules: 1867-1945, 1885
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Columbia County, Florida Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Florida Vital Records
- Birth Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Marriage and Divorce Records: from June 6, 1927 to present.
- Death Records: from January 1917 to present.
- Locations: Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, P.O. Box 210, 1217 Pearl Street (Zip 32202), Jacksonville, FL 32231-0042; PH (904) 359-6900 Ext. 1029.
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Columbia County, Florida Resources
- State of Florida Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Florida
- Columbia County Historical Society, 810 S. Seventh St., Lake City, FL 32055
- Columbia County, Florida Message Boards
Columbia County, Florida External Links
- Florida Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Columbia County, Florida Books - Amazon
- Columbia Co., Florida - FindaGrave
- Florida Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Columbia County Courthouse History
- Columbia County, Florida Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Florida (1823 - 1959)
- Columbia Co. FLGenweb
- Columbia County, Florida Ancestry Database Collections
- Columbia County maps from Exploring Florida website
- Columbia County, Florida Military Records