Mariposa County, California Records
Mariposa County, California (Map It) was created on February 18, 1850 as one of the original 27 counties . Mariposa County was named for Mariposa Creek. The area was so named by Spanish explorers in 1807 when they discovered great clusters of butterflies (“mariposas” in Spanish) in the foothills of the Sierras. Some say these butterflies were really butterfly lilies
Mariposa County Cities and Towns include Mariposa .
Since its creation Mariposa County boundries have changed to include these:
- Most of Mariposa County has been in the county since 1850.
- A very small piece in Mariposa County from 1850 to 1856, was in Fresno County from 1856 to 1870 when it was returned to Mariposa County.
- Territory which at one time was in Mariposa County is now part or all of twelve other counties: Fresno County, Inyo County, Kern County, Kings County, Los Angeles County, Madera County, Merced County, Mono County, San Benito County, San Bernardino County, San Luis Obispo County, and Tulare County.
Mariposa County, California Courthouse Records
Mariposa County, CA Courthouse
Old Mariposa County Courthouse
Courthouse History - Mariposa's landmark remains the state's oldest county courthouse in continuous use. One of the best examples of Greek Revival architecture in the Gold Country, the courthouse still contains many of the original, hand-planed furnishings, and a pot-bellied stove sits in the courtroom. Since there is no jury room, jurors deliberate in the jury box. Among the alterations to the original structure was the addition of the clock tower in 1866. While one newspaper at the time questioned the need "to distinguish the exact time from a mile," the clock, shipped from England around Cape Horn, is today a popular fixture in Mariposa and continues to sound on the quarter-hour. The courthouse is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research. Some early court records from the various courts may have been sent to the California State Archives. Besides court minutes and judgements, these records include tax lists, wills, deeds, estate inventories, and marriage bonds. The California State Archives has microfilm of selected county records, 1850–1919.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Mariposa county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk. Some counties encompass land settled in the eighteenth century; their records pre-date county formation. Land transactions and vital records recorded in the county are at the county recorder's office. The county clerk general has probate books and files from the county's superior court, civil court records, and naturalizations. Divorces may be in either place, depending on how filed.
- Mariposa County Recorder-Clerk has Birth / Death Records from 1873, Marriage Records from 1851 and Land Records from 1850. The County Recorder-Clerk is s responsible for examination and recording of all documents presented for recording that deal with establishing ownership of land in the County or as required by statute; administers the real property transfer tax law and maintains a permanent record and indexes of all documents for public viewing plus providing certified copies requested by the public; recording of all lawful documents such as deeds, deeds of trust, judgments, liens, affidavits, Uniform Commercial Code Financial Statements, etc; and the filing of Births, Deaths, and Marriages.
- Mariposa County Clerk of Superior Court has Probate Records from 1850 and Court Records from 1850. The County Clerk of Superior Court has probate books and files from the county's superior court, civil court records, and naturalizations. Divorces may be here or in the Recorders Office, depending on how it was filed.
- Mariposa County County Treasurer / Tax Collector
- Local Registrar of Births and Deaths, 4982 Tenth Street, Mail to: P.O. Box 35, Mariposa, CA 95338-0035; Office (209) 966-5719
Mariposa County, California Census Records
- Learn More: State of California Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- State Population Schedules: 1852, Voter Registers, 1866-1898, Voter Registrations, 1900-1968
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Mariposa County, California Vital Records
- Learn More: State of California Vital Records
- Birth Records: from July 1905 to present.
- Marriage Records: Indexes from 1949-1986 and 1998-1999.
- Death Records: from July 1905 to present. See Local County Recorder
- Divorce Records: from 1962 and June, 1984. See local County Circuit or County Chancery Clerk.
- Locations: California Department of Public Health, Vital Records, – MS 5103, 1501 Capitol Avenue, Sacramento, CA 95814; PH (916) 445-1719 or (916) 445-2684
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
Mariposa County, California Resources
- Mariposa County History and Genealogy
- Mariposa Museum and History Center
- Northern Mariposa County History Center
- Mariposa County, California Message Boards
Mariposa County, California External Links
- California Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Mariposa County, California Books - Amazon
- Mariposa Co., California - FindaGrave
- California Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- California Pioneer Project
- Mariposa County History
- Mariposa County, California Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from California (1813 - 1978)
- Mariposa Co. CAGenweb
- Mariposa County, California Ancestry Database Collections
- Mariposa County, California Military Records