Monroe County, West Virginia Records
Monroe County, West Virginia (Map It) was created on January 14, 1799 from portions of Greenbrier County. The county was named in honor of James Monroe (1758-1831), Governor of Virginia and U.S. President (1817–1825).
Monroe County is bordered by Greenbrier County (north), Alleghany County, Virginia (northeast), Craig County, Virginia (east), Giles County, Virginia (south), Mercer County (southwest), Summers County (west).
A Map of Monroe County, West Virginia contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Monroe County Cities and Towns include Alderson, Ballard, Bozoo, Gap Mills, Glace, Greenville, Lindside, Peterstown, Pickaway, Sarton, Secondcreek, Sinks Grove, Sweet Springs, Union, Waiteville, Wayside, Willow Bend, Wolfcreek
Monroe County, West Virginia Courthouse Records
Monroe County, WV Courthouse
The Monroe County Courthouse is located in Union, West Virginia. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Monroe county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk. Until 1863 West Virginia was part of Virginia, See Virginia State Records for Info and links for years prior to 1863.
- Monroe County Clerk has Birth / Death Records from 1853, Marriage Records from 1799, Land Records from 1799 and Probate Records from 1799.
- Monroe County Clerk of Circuit Court has Court Records from 1799.
Monroe County, West Virginia Census Records
- Learn More: State of West Virginia Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1800 (destroyed), 1810 (fragmented), 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820, Virginia, Compiled Census and Census Substitutes Index, 1607-1890
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Monroe County, West Virginia Vital Records
- Learn More: State of West Virginia Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: from January 1917 to present
- Marriage Records: from 1921 to present.
- Divorce Records: from 1968 to present
- Locations: West Virginia Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Vital Registration, Division of Health, 350 Capitol St, Rm 165, Charleston, WV 25301-3701; (304) 558-2931; Info: (304) 558-2931
Monroe County, West Virginia Resources
- Monroe County Historical Society
- Monroe County Public Library
- Monroe County, West Virginia Message Boards
- Monroe County, West Virginia Genealogy Boards
Monroe County, West Virginia External Links
- West Virginia Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from West Virginia (1808 - 1904)
- Monroe County, West Virginia Books - Amazon
- Monroe Co., West Virginia - FindaGrave
- Official Website of Berkeley Springs, WV
- Annals of Southwest Virginia, 1769-1800
- Monroe County Encyclopedia
- Monroe County, West Virginia Links - Cyndi's List
- Monroe Co. WVGenweb
- Monroe County, West Virginia Ancestry Database Collections
- Monroe County, West Virginia Military Records