Alleghany County, Virginia Records
Alleghany County, Virginia (Map It) was created in January 05, 1822 and was formed from Bath County, Botetout County and Monroe County, West Virginia in 1822, additional parts of Bath County (1823) and Monroe County, West Virginia (1843) were added . Alleghany county was named for the Alleghany Mountains.
Alleghany County is bordered by Bath County (north), Rockbridge County (east), Botetourt County (southeast), Craig County (south), Monroe County, West Virginia (southwest), Greenbrier County, West Virginia (west).
Alleghany County Cities and Towns include Covington, Clifton Forge, Iron Gate, Low Moor and Selma.
MapGeeks.org has is a collection of old Virginia maps.
Alleghany County, Virginia Courthouse Records
Allegheny County, VA Courthouse
The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH . Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The Alleghany County record dates below are from the earliest date to present time. They may include records of land, estates, taxes, vital records, divorces, naturalizations, voter registration, military discharges and court records.
- Alleghany County Clerk of Circuit Court has Marriage Records from 1801, Land Records from 1669, Court Records from 1778 and Probate Records from 1772.
- Alleghany County Commissioner of the Revenue
- Clifton Forge Health Department, 322 Jefferson Avenue, P. O. Box 15, Clifton Forge, VA 24422; Phone: (540) 862-4131
- Covington Health Department, 321 Beech Street | P.O. Box 747, Covington, VA 24426; Phone: (540) 962-2173
- County and City Research in Virginia Guides and Indexes
Alleghany County, Virginia Census Records
- Learn More: State of Virginia Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1790 (destroyed), 1800 (destroyed), 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: Virginia Heads of families 1790: records of the state enumerations, 1782 to 1785
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Alleghany County, Virginia Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Virginia Vital Records
- Birth & Death Records: from January 1853 to December 1896 and since June 14, 1912 to present. The Virginia Archives has copies of surviving birth and death records for the period 1853 to 1896
- Marriage Records: from January 1853 to present. The Virginia Archives has copies of marriage records prior to 1936.
- Divorce Records: from January 1918 to present.
- Locations: Virginia Office of Vital Statistics, Virginia State Archives
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Applications.
- In Person: 2001 Maywill Street, Richmond, Virginia 23230
Alleghany County, Virginia Resources
- State of Virginia Archives and Societies
- RAOGK Volunteers for Virginia
- Alleghany Highlands Genealogical Society
- Alleghany County Historical Society , 149 N. Maple Avenue, P.O. Box 384, Covington, VA 24426; 540-965-0149
- Charles P. Jones Memorial Library
- Clifton Forge Public Library
- Alleghany County, Virginia Message Boards
- Alleghany County, Virginia Genealogy Forum
- Alleghany County microfilmed holdings at The Library of Virginia
- Virginia Heritage - Guides to manuscript and Archival Collections in Alleghany Co. Virginia
Alleghany County, Virginia External Links
- Virginia Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Historical Newspapers from Virginia (1784 - 1922 )
- Alleghany County, Virginia Books - Amazon
- Using County and City Court Records in the Archives at the Library of Virginia
- Virginia County Records, Volume , VI, VII , IX, X The records in these series were compiled as part of a series known as the Virginia County Records . The volume includes wills, land grants, and marriage bonds as well as other miscellaneous information on early Virginia settlers.
- Cemeteries in Alleghany County, VA
- Alleghany Co., Virginia - FindaGrave
- History of Alleghany County
- Alleghany County - A Concise History
- Alleghany County, Virginia Links - Cyndi's List
- Alleghany Co. VAGenweb
- Alleghany County, Virginia Ancestry Database Collections
- Virginia Revolutionary War Units
- Alleghany County, Virginia Military Records