Washington County, Missouri Records
Washington County, Missouri (Map It) was created on August 21, 1813 from Ste. Genevieve County. The county was named in honor of George Washington (1732–1799), commander of the Continental Army in the American Revolutionary War and first President of the United States.
Washington County Cities and Towns include Belgrade, Berryman, Cadet, Caledonia, Courtois, Irondale, Mineral Point, Potosi, Richwoods, Tiff.
A Map of Washington County, Missouri contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Washington County, Missouri Courthouse Records
Washington County, MO Courthouse
The Washington County Courthouse is located in Potosi, Missouri. In 1906 the Courthouse burned, but before the building was completely destroyed the officials were able to carry the records out safely. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Washington county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Washington County Recorder of Deeds has Marriage Records from 1815 and Land Records from 1813.
- Washington County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has Probate Records from 1813 and Court & Divorce Records from 1819.
- Washington County Clerk of the Court has Birth Records from 1883–95 and Death Records from extant for 1883—95 and 1974—76 only, including Permanent record of births, 1883-1895; Permanent record of deaths, 1883-1895 and 1974-1976; Negro marriage records with births, 1865-1875.
- Washington County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Local Records Inventory Database, produced by the Missouri Local Records Preservation Program, is a compilation of inventories of local government records identified as having permanent or enduring value and housed primarily in county and municipal offices, but includes some libraries, museums, and historical and genealogical societies that maintain government records. Not all Missouri offices have been inventoried.
- Washington County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980
Washington County, Missouri Census Records
- Learn More: State of Missouri Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1820 (missing), 1830, 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: 1844-1881
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Washington County, Missouri Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Missouri Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1910 to present
- Marriage Records: from July 1948 to present
- Divorce Records: from July 1948 to present
- Locations: Missouri Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, Bureau of Vital Records, Jefferson City, MO 65102, Telephone: 573-751-6387
Washington County, Missouri Resources
- RAOGK Volunteers for Missouri
- Bellevue Valley Historical Society, R.R. 1, Box 164, Caledonia, MO, 3631, Phone: (573) 779-3725
- Old Mines Area Historical Society
- Mine Au Breton Historical Society
- Washington County, Missouri Message Boards
- Washington County, Missouri Genealogy Forum
Washington County, Missouri External Links
- Missouri Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Washington County, Missouri Books - Amazon
- Washington Co., Missouri - FindaGrave
- Guide to Washington County and Municipal Records on Microfilm - Missouri State Archives
- Missouri Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Washington County, Missouri Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Missouri (1808 - 1922)
- Washington Co. MOGenweb
- Washington County, Missouri Ancestry Database Collections
- Washington County, Missouri Military Records