St. Clair County, Missouri Records
St. Clair County, Missouri (Map It) was created on January 29, 1841 from Rives County. The county was named in honor of Arthur St. Clair (1737–1818), an American soldier and Governor of the Northwest Territory .
St. Clair County is bordered by Henry County (north), Benton County (northeast), Hickory County (east), Polk County (southeast), Cedar County (south), Vernon County (southwest), Bates County (northwest).
St. Clair County Cities and Towns include Appleton City, Collins, Gerster, Lowry City, Osceola, Roscoe, Taberville, Vista.
A Map of St. Clair County, Missouri contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
St. Clair County, Missouri Courthouse Records
St. Clair County, MO Courthouse
The St. Clair County Courthouse is located in Osceola, Missouri. The Courthouse apparently was burned in September 1861 by Gen. James Lane. One account claims that Lane's raid only partially destroyed the courthouse; by some accounts it was rebuilt and used until November 1864, when it was again burned in Civil War activity. Probate Court records were destroyed. Learn More About State of Missouri Court, Tax, Land and Probate Records. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in St. Clair county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- St. Clair County Recorder of Deeds has Marriage Records from 1855 and Land Records from 1841.
- St. Clair County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has Probate Records from 1865 and Court & Divorce Records from 1841.
- St. Clair County Clerk of the Court has Birth & Death Records from 1883–1903 .
- St. Clair County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Local Records Inventory Database, produced by the Missouri Local Records Preservation Program, is a compilation of inventories of local government records identified as having permanent or enduring value and housed primarily in county and municipal offices, but includes some libraries, museums, and historical and genealogical societies that maintain government records. Not all Missouri offices have been inventoried.
- St. Clair County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980
St. Clair County, Missouri Census Records
- Learn More: State of Missouri Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1840, 1850, 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: 1844-1881
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1850 and 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1850, 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
St. Clair County, Missouri Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Missouri Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1910 to present
- Marriage Records: from July 1948 to present
- Divorce Records: from July 1948 to present
- Locations: Missouri Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, Bureau of Vital Records, Jefferson City, MO 65102, Telephone: 573-751-6387
St. Clair County, Missouri Resources
- RAOGK Volunteers for Missouri
- St. Clair County Historical Society
- Institutions with St. Clair County Records
- Appleton City Landmarks Restoration, P.O. Box 44 , Appleton City, MO 64724
- West Central Missouri Genealogical Society and Library
- Ozarks Genealogical Society
- St. Clair County, Missouri Message Boards
- St. Clair County, Missouri Genealogy Boards
St. Clair County, Missouri External Links
- Missouri Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- St. Clair County, Missouri Books - Amazon
- St. Clair Co., Missouri - FindaGrave
- St. Clair County, Missouri Wiki
- Guide to St. Clair County and Municipal Records on Microfilm - Missouri State Archives
- Missouri Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- St. Clair County, Missouri Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Missouri (1808 - 1922)
- St. Clair Co. MOGenweb
- St. Clair County, Missouri Ancestry Database Collections
- St. Clair County, Missouri Military Records