Vernon County, Missouri Records
Vernon County, Missouri (Map It) was created on February 27, 1855 from Bates County. The county was named in honor of Miles Vernon, Missouri State Senator – the county was originally defined as having the same boundaries as Bates county, but was later declared unconstitutional and changed .
Vernon County is bordered by Bates County (north), St. Clair County (northeast), Cedar County (east), Barton County (south), Crawford County, Kansas (southwest), Bourbon County, Kansas (west), Linn County, Kansas (southwest).
Vernon County Cities and Towns include Bronaugh, Deerfield, Harwood, Horton, Metz, Milo, Moundville, Nevada, Richards, Schell City, Sheldon, Stotesbury, Walker.
A Map of Vernon County, Missouri contains detailed information about roads and boundaries, these maps may include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Vernon County, Missouri Courthouse Records
Vernon County, MO Courthouse
The Vernon County Courthouse is located in Nevada, Missouri. Both the courthouse and clerk's office were destroyed when the town was burned in 1863, County Court records are missing from 1861-65. The Clerk's Office DOES NOT DO RESEARCH. Most staff will assist people in finding the materials, but it is up to the individual to do the research.
The following dates indicates what vital, land, probate, and court records are in Vernon county. The date listed for each record is usually the earliest registration filed. The date does not indicate that there are alot records for that year and does not mean that all such events were actually filed with the clerk.
- Vernon County Recorder of Deeds has Marriage Records from 1855 and Land Records from 1855.
- Vernon County Circuit Court Clerk / Probate Court Clerk has Probate Records from 1855 and Court & Divorce Records from 1856.
- Vernon County Clerk of the Court has Birth & Death Records from 1883–1904 .
- Vernon County Tax Assessor Office is responsible for appraising and assessing real estate property and person property for the purpose of taxation as well as transferring ownership of real estate, and keeping real estate maps up to date.
- Local Records Inventory Database, produced by the Missouri Local Records Preservation Program, is a compilation of inventories of local government records identified as having permanent or enduring value and housed primarily in county and municipal offices, but includes some libraries, museums, and historical and genealogical societies that maintain government records. Not all Missouri offices have been inventoried.
- Vernon County Health Department has Birth Certificates since 1920 and Death Certificates since 1980
Vernon County, Missouri Census Records
- Learn More: State of Missouri Census Records
- U.S. Federal Population Schedules: 1860, 1870, 1880 (free index), 1890 (fragmented), 1900, 1910, 1920, 1930, 1940
- U.S. Census Reconstructed Records: 1660-1820
- State Population Schedules: 1844-1881
- U.S. Federal Census Slave Schedules: 1860
- U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Agriculture Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Selected U.S. Federal Census Industry Schedules: 1860, 1870 and 1880
- Union Veterans Schedules: 1890
Vernon County, Missouri Vital Records
- Learn More: State of Missouri Vital Records
- Birth and Death Records: from January 1910 to present
- Marriage Records: from July 1948 to present
- Divorce Records: from July 1948 to present
- Locations: Missouri Office of Vital Statistics
- Vital Records Online: USAVital or Social Security Death Index
- Vital Records by Mail: Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage and Divorce Certificate Applications.
- In Person: Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, Bureau of Vital Records, Jefferson City, MO 65102, Telephone: 573-751-6387
Vernon County, Missouri Resources
- RAOGK Volunteers for Missouri
- Tri-County Genealogical Society
- Vernon County Historical Society
- Ozarks Genealogical Society
- Vernon County, Missouri Message Boards
- Vernon County, Missouri Genealogy Boards
Vernon County, Missouri External Links
- Missouri Historical Newspapers - Newspapers.com
- Vernon County, Missouri Books - Amazon
- Vernon Co., Missouri - FindaGrave
- Guide to Vernon County and Municipal Records on Microfilm - Missouri State Archives
- Missouri Indexed Historical Records - Familysearch
- Vernon County, Missouri Links - Cyndi's List
- Historical Newspapers from Missouri (1808 - 1922)
- Vernon Co. MOGenweb
- Vernon County, Missouri Ancestry Database Collections
- Vernon County, Missouri Military Records